Idea for new metal genres?

vgmaster9

Jun 30, 2012
What new metal genres would you like to see become big in the metalhead community? So far the biggest loved genres are traditional metal, speed metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, groove metal, industrial metal, doom metal, progressive metal, power metal, gothic metal, symphonic metal, and folk metal (I didn't mention grindcore cause that's more of a form of punk).

What other new different genres of metal for the community to love would you like to come up? I'd love to see something called "metalabilly", which would be a fusion of rockabilly and heavy metal music. Metalabilly bands would take inspiration from Volbeat, like how doom metal bands took inspiration from Black Sabbath.

I'd also love to see a new form of extreme metal called "necro metal", it would be loved my fans of death metal and black metal, though it would have its own differences from the other two, like having its own vocal style and lyrical themes. Both genres I came up with should also have their own appearences and fanbases.

What about you, what kinds of metal genres would you like to be made anew?

I'd like to see a lot more Progressive Thrash.

I'd like to see more music like Ne Obliviscaris, however you categorize that.

A newish idea might be Power Thrash, thrash metal with catchy choruses. Kreator touched on this with "Flood Into Fire" on their new album. It might help bring more money/radio play back into the metal community. I don't want it to go too commercial, but there should be just enough to get good music back on the charts in the 51-100 range. I want Metal FM radio stations like back in the day.

Honestly, people are going to hate on this last idea, but I'd like to see more done with metal/dubstep/electronica. i think it has potential, and it needs a name.

Honestly, people are going to hate on this last idea, but I'd like to see more done with metal/dubstep/electronica. i think it has potential, and it needs a name.

I agree. WHOURKR are a good example of interesting stuff imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dissona are another band who've messed around with dubstep a little. They can be described as avant-garde so there isn't much of it as a whole.

I'd like to see an anti-djent movement. That would be pretty awesome.

More live instruments, moving away from the age of the bedroom composer. Ensemble performances. Solis instead if solos. Slower pace, but complexity in chords, maintaining djent's syncopation but applying more fluidity and loosening the style's rigid structure.

Expecting less from the guitar as an instrument. Expanding on bass and percussion, and incorporating woodwinds and brass with the aforementioned fluidity that this genre would rely upon.

I would like more music in the vein of Nadja, The Angelic Process, Theologian, Methadrone.

Death industrial/drone/ambient/shoegaze, whatever.

Metalstep? Could be a subgenre of industrial metal.

Also, necro metal could also have its slew of subgenres, such as harsh necro metal, which would be the equivalent to brutal death metal and raw black metal. There would also be melodic necro metal, necrotic death metal, blackened necro metal, necrotic doom metal, necrotic thrash, symphonic necro metal, industrial necro metal, etc.

I'd like to see an anti-djent movement. That would be pretty awesome.

More live instruments, moving away from the age of the bedroom composer. Ensemble performances. Solis instead if solos. Slower pace, but complexity in chords, maintaining djent's syncopation but applying more fluidity and loosening the style's rigid structure.

Expecting less from the guitar as an instrument. Expanding on bass and percussion, and incorporating woodwinds and brass with the aforementioned fluidity that this genre would rely upon.

My composer friend who wrote the songs for Black Orifice (I perform bass in the recordings) actually composed some stuff that was in the same vein as this. One of the compositions consisted of a bass vocalist, electric guitar, electric bass, saw-tooth synth wave, drum set, and vibraphone. I was going to jump between bass and synth for the recordings, but we didn't end up having the time to invest in it after he finished composing it. Instruments in his compositions never take "solos," but, melodically, the parts are quite virtuosic. It's atonal, so naturally it is very dense harmonically.

My composer friend who wrote the songs for Black Orifice (I perform bass in the recordings) actually composed some stuff that was in the same vein as this. One of the compositions consisted of a bass vocalist, electric guitar, electric bass, saw-tooth synth wave, drum set, and vibraphone. I was going to jump between bass and synth for the recordings, but we didn't end up having the time to invest in it after he finished composing it. Instruments in his compositions never take "solos," but, melodically, the parts are quite virtuosic. It's atonal, so naturally it is very dense harmonically.

I would love to jam that. I'm all about space and multi-instrumentation. I need to find a bass or baritone vocalist, that's definitely something that none of my bandmates will be capable of.

I agree. WHOURKR are a good example of interesting stuff imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6auS1tdpeY

wow.. I thought my stuff was strange.

WHOURKR is weird even by MY standards. I was sorta on-board, until the sax.. :loco:

anyway.. I'd like to hear more non-standard (well integrated) instrumentation as well. But it's really got to be produced well, so it really fits into the composition. Shouldn't sound like an eclectic afterthought.

I would love to jam that. I'm all about space and multi-instrumentation. I need to find a bass or baritone vocalist, that's definitely something that none of my bandmates will be capable of.

I'm an amateur bass vocalist, but we had a guy from the local university do it for the Black Orifice songs that have vocals. You could always try making some connections with people in the music department and tracking some singers down. Many singers, even though it's not their particular style, would probably be up for doing just about anything.

That's how we got our baritone saxophone player and trumpeter on this album we're about to release. Thank the heavens for music departments at local colleges, they are a treasure trove.

Do you guys have a soundcloud or a bandcamp or something? I'd like to check out your shit.]

Also more Latin-infused metal like early Ill Nino:

Plenty of that to be had, my friend. And much of it is better executed than Il Nino's material.