GMD Votes: All Other Genres Prelims

"ambient metal"

EDIT: There is next to zero metal that can be described as ambient metal that isn't black metal

Yall are making this more difficult than it should be. Quit nitpicking. If youre favorite band cant be listed, oh fucking well. They probably suck anyway

1) Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
2) Mastodon - Leviathan
3) Eyehategod - Dopesick
4) Mastodon - Crack the Skye
5) Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain
6) Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
7) Baroness - Red Album
8) Mastodon - Remission
9) Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
10) Orange Goblin - Time Travelling Blues
11) Type O Negative - Slow, Deep and Hard
12) Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics
13) Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens
14) Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
15) Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
16) Catacombs - In the Depths of Ry'leh
17) The Ocean - Pelagial
18) October Tide - Rain Without End
19) Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell
20) The Sword - Warp Riders

Well this is just becoming farcical. I will withdraw my fantastic list altogether if some order isn't restored here post haste.

I'm looking at you Ozzman.

Order was enforced with the first post of the thread. However, too many people choose not to read.
Therein lies the problem. Not only that but the qualifying genres were established in a separate thread. If people can't follow the rules that were agreed upon by everyone, that's not my fault.

I edited the second part. I don't get what you mean by first sentence. If people choose not to read the original post or haven't learned the deal by this point then it's really not my fault.

I'm not arguing about this anymore. Follow the instructions by reading the original post.

He said "first post", not "first sentence", lrn2read yourself bro. I mean, you give White Zombie the pass in the previous thread but not Alice in Chains? How do you expect people to know what you are OK with and what you aren't when you post a list of various sub-genres (some of which aren't metal) and imply that you're open to others not on the list as well?

Maybe not as clearly as you think, because the sentence

which is also to be found in the first post of the thread implies that it is possible to include albums from genres not mentioned in the list.

Nobody indicated the genre next to the album, so nobody who reached outside the designated genre followed instructions and therefore has no right to bitch.

He said to indicate the genre for research/curiosity or something, not that he would be making judgment calls for each one.

He said to indicate the genre for research/curiosity or something, not that he would be making judgment calls for each one.

Alright, motherfuckers, here's the deal:

Only the genres listed in the first post count. If you aren't sure if it counts or the genre could be up for debate, don't include it.

For example, it is well established that Alice in Chains is 'grunge'. Does it toe the line? At times. However, grunge isn't listed as a genre in that original post. Therefore, Alice in Chains is not eligible.

Same goes for King's-X. It toes the line, but it isn't explicitly any of the genres listed, so don't include it.

I will put the genres here again in case people are lazy and don't want to read

Sludge
Other doom metal (not trad or death/doom)
Progressive Metal
Euro Power Metal
Metalcore
Groove metal
Industrial metal
Folk metal
Goth metal
Post metal/ post black metal, etc.
Symphonic metal (added in place of ambient metal)

Regarding the 'ambient metal' title: A search on M-A indicates that anything with the ambient title is associated with a black metal band so I guess that won't count either.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

If you included ambient black metal shit in your list, please redo it.

Alright, but what about Therion, who are symphonic metal? The list doesn't include that label on its own, but it pretty much explicitly includes symphonic power metal. Whereas Therion does not fall into that category, nor is it gothic metal, I think it fits perfectly well in a poll that also allows Nightwish and Tristania.

I'm still just wondering if we can count Death - Perseverance and Atheist - Elements as progressive metal. Depending if they're going to be disqualified or not I'll change my list.

And stuff like Anciients - Heart of Oak, is that to be considered progressive also?

Alright, but what about Therion, who are symphonic metal? The list doesn't include that label on its own, but it pretty much explicitly includes symphonic power metal. Whereas Therion does not fall into that category, nor is it gothic metal, I think it fits perfectly well in a poll that also allows Nightwish and Tristania.

Fair point. This makes complete sense. I don't think anyone brought up that genre so I will include it. Thanks!

I'm still just wondering if we can count Death - Perseverance and Atheist - Elements as progressive metal. Depending if they're going to be disqualified or not I'll change my list.

And stuff like Anciients - Heart of Oak, is that to be considered progressive also?

Use this guideline: "How would a majority of heavy metal listeners categorize this album in terms of a specific genre?" I think if you put both those in a list, not many would dispute it (maybe moreso Elements than TSOP). I don't think either will get enough votes to warrant a huge argument about it.