GMD Votes: Top Death Metal Album prelims

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: nm, i don't wanna be the asshole that starts nitpicking genres again.

i don't think there's anything even disputable on my list? maybe necromass but there's plenty of DM in there. i hope you weren't talking about sepultura lol, that album's been in the early DM canon forever.

Also, you're list looks kind of similar to morts. Hmmmm.

mine and mort's lists only have 7 common albums by my count so i'm not sure what you're talking about, but for the record 6 of those albums were also on
this list i posted 10 years ago before mort was even registered. but yknow, keep on with the conspiracy theories or w/e keeps you happy.

as for at the gates, i consider their first 1.5 albums to be the most creative, violent and beautiful death metal ever made, and they're probably my most listened to band of the past 10 years as a result. how mere mortals composed that shit is beyond me.

i don't think there's anything even disputable on my list? maybe necromass but there's plenty of DM in there. i hope you weren't talking about sepultura lol, that album's been in the early DM canon forever.

mine and mort's lists only have 7 common albums by my count so i'm not sure what you're talking about, but for the record 6 of those albums were also on
this list i posted 10 years ago before mort was even registered. but yknow, keep on with the conspiracy theories or w/e keeps you happy.

lol, relax bro .. all i was saying was that you two have similar lists.

And yes i was talking about Sepultura mainly. And lol, that album is no such thing, it's basically proto-death thrash metal. Not a single old fart my age would refer to that album as DM, let alone list it as atop album of the genre. And nobody sure in the hell called that album death metal back in the early 90's. Do you also happen to think Pleasure to Kill is death metal? This isn't a "most influential" list.

It really doesn't matter all that much given no-one else voted for it anyway.. Besides, this is supposed to be about people's personal favorites, not 'who can make a list that 'old farts' will appreciate?'

Besides, this is supposed to be about people's personal favorites, not 'who can make a list that 'old farts' will appreciate?'

This is supposed to be a greatest death metal list, so i expect the albums on it to be death metal albums. Has nothing to do with age, don't know why you would word it like that. All i was saying is that some of the younger people seem to refer to a lot of the earlier thrash metal like Kreator and Sepultura as death metal ... which is incorrect.

edit: :lol: yes, i just want a list that my old ass is going to appreciate. It's hilarious to me that you would come away with that conclusion after reading those posts. Great, we another smart aleck poster in the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

re: tech

not really a reasonable comparison imo. it's called death or death/thrash more or less everywhere these days (rym, metal archives, wikipedia, to name a few obvious examples), kreator isn't. i don't care how long it took people to retrospectively tag it as such. obviously it's primitive and straddles the line, but i'm not gonna worry about that, it's hardly an exact science. if it came out in the mid-90s everyone would call it death-thrash at the very least.

This is supposed to be a greatest death metal list, so i expect the albums on it to be death metal albums. Has nothing to do with age, don't know why you would word it like that. All i was saying is that some of the younger people seem to refer to a lot of the earlier thrash metal like Kreator and Sepultura as death metal ... which is incorrect.

Sorry, wasn't meaning to cause offence. I was referring to your comment that 'Not a single old fart my age would refer to that album as DM, let alone list it as atop album of the genre.'

At the end of the day, if that's his list then that's his list. There have been a few albums in other people's lists that have made me scratch my head, and others that made me kick myself for overlooking/forgetting when making my own list. I guess that's the point at this stage, then as we get further along the voting process the list will most likely start to look more like a 'generally accepted' list of the classics.

re: tech

not really a reasonable comparison imo. it's called death or death/thrash more or less everywhere these days (rym, metal archives, wikipedia, to name a few obvious examples), kreator isn't. i don't care how long it took people to retrospectively tag it as such. obviously it's primitive and straddles the line, but i'm not gonna worry about that, it's hardly an exact science. if it came out in the mid-90s everyone would call it death-thrash at the very least.

i have no problem with people referring to it as a death/thrash album. But it's clearly way too heavy on the thrash to be included in a top DM list imo. Final Holocaust is what i would call a perfectly even 50/50 thrash/death split.

And actually, a lot of those places that you mentioned consider Pleasure to Kill to be a death/thrash album, which again i have no problem with, but it is a thrash metal album first and foremost, so i wouldn't included it here.

but yeah whatever, really wasn't trying to argue about this today ... i've got a mean ass fucking headache.

'kingdom gone' and 'raped by the light of christ' are good starting places for TRITSIO and WFIKTBD respectively (both albums are very different from each other as well as from everything else). the latter is basically the most epic 3 minute song ever. 'within' and 'primal breath' are probably my favourites though. i think reading the lyrics sheet benefits atg more than it helps most DM bands, the music is strongly unified with the lyrics and together they evoke something unprecedentedly vivid for me.

I TEAR THE SKIES WITH MY BARE HANDS
THERE IS NO DEATH FOR ME
THE WORLD BURNS WITH WORMS OF FIRE
THE WORLD.....
BURNS.....

Best ATG songs.

Within.
All Life Ends.
Blood of the Sunsets.
Night Comes, Blood Black.

Unique list there, GoD. I remember liking that Supuration a lot years ago, time to revisit it.

the other one that was absent on most lists and should be there (including on mine) was Atrocity - Longing For Death.

Best ATG song is tough. Raped by the Light of Christ is the obvious one on WFIKTB. TRITSIO is more difficult. That said, I've always loved Windows. Gardens of Grief is also convincing from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.