GMD Votes: Top Traditional/Doom Album Prelims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how anyone can call their self titled or Killers best. They're great and so, but they are not quite 7th Son of a 7th Son or Powerslave.

Moar liek Fillers, amirite?

That's the result of the two album rule.

I'm not quite sure of that. I think if I didn't have an album limit, the dispersion would be greater. Does that make sense?

Like, you'd have more votes for Iron Maiden across more albums which wouldn't really help any one album's chances.

i think more votes across more albums would help all of the albums' chances? but i also think maiden just aren't super popular on this board relative to most other places?

i agree KILLERS isn't exactly super consistent, neither of the first two are, but that's the maiden *sound* i prefer. more wild and alive, less commercial and saccharine. should probs move that to the controversial opinions thread though.

PIECE OF MIND is probs my favourite bruce-era album for the record.

Killers is extremely consistent. Putting Twilight Zone aside (which was originally a separate single), no song is less than a 9/10. If you can't accept that it's one of Iron Maiden's very best albums (and a hundred times better than the prancy pseudo-prog of Seventh Son), your words have no value.

Killers is extremely consistent. Putting Twilight Zone aside (which was originally a separate single), no song is less than a 9/10. If you can't accept that it's one of Iron Maiden's very best albums (and a hundred times better than the prancy pseudo-prog of Seventh Son), your words have no value.

:rolleyes:

That's the result of the two album rule. It's basically the same thing that happened to Death. There's no consensus on what their best album is. There are seven albums I could see people voting for, depending on their taste.

Agreed.

The solution I posted in another one of these threads was:

Prelim: Nominate your top 20-30ish Bands
Prelim2: Vote on which are the best albums from those bands.

If done this way Death and Iron Maiden are certain to make it imo.

Moar liek Fillers, amirite?

I'm not quite sure of that. I think if I didn't have an album limit, the dispersion would be greater. Does that make sense?

Like, you'd have more votes for Iron Maiden across more albums which wouldn't really help any one album's chances.

No, your reasonig doesn't make sense at all. Some albums would have more points, but none would have less. For example s/t and Piece of Mind would make my top 20 and would thereby have more points then they currently have. However, that would take points away from 7th Son and Number of the Beast, which I already ranked.

Some albums would have more points, but none would have less.

For example s/t and Piece of Mind would make my top 20 and would thereby have more points then they currently have. However, that would take points away from 7th Son and Number of the Beast, which I already ranked.

You contradicted yourself.

I should do the exact same polls sometime in the future and have no album limit and see how the results differ. I am 85% sure my logic is correct.

Sorry that was just forgetting a negative due to exhaustion at the end of a long day. I meant that wouldn't take points away from the albums I already voted for.

Even if the results ended up more or less the same, your logic would still be flawed. Let's put it this way: if a given album 5 inputs (votes) and two more inputs (votes) are added, then it's sum will increase. For example, let's say 7th Son presently has 5 inputs. We'll call the total score of the 5 inputs X. Next, let's say that the voting changes and as a result, two more people vote for 7th son. We'll call these two new votes Y and Z.

X+Y+Z> X

The worst case scenario is nobody else votes for the album and X=X

Agreed.

The solution I posted in another one of these threads was:

Prelim: Nominate your top 20-30ish Bands
Prelim2: Vote on which are the best albums from those bands.

If done this way Death and Iron Maiden are certain to make it imo.

I guess this is the best solution to it all. Death and Maiden should be in top 10 imo. Since they have a lot of great albums then this is the only solution I can think of without these bands being left behind.

Sorry that was just forgetting a negative due to exhaustion at the end of a long day. I meant that wouldn't take points away from the albums I already voted for.

Even if the results ended up more or less the same, your logic would still be flawed. Let's put it this way: if a given album 5 inputs (votes) and two more inputs (votes) are added, then it's sum will increase. For example, let's say 7th Son presently has 5 inputs. We'll call the total score of the 5 inputs X. Next, let's say that the voting changes and as a result, two more people vote for 7th son. We'll call these two new votes Y and Z.

X+Y+Z> X

The worst case scenario is nobody else votes for the album and X=X

What if no limitation results in someone's order changing because they included other albums? Then the score would definitely change. Number of votes might not change, but the scores are the issue not number of votes. It may not change by much, but a deviation is guaranteed in some respect.

It's also dependent upon how many people vote, etc so there are lots of variables at play as well, but I think scores would decrease for certain albums if voting weren't limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.