13) Judas Priest - Stained Class
14) Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead
15) Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
16) Solstice - New Dark Age
17) Warning - Watching From A Distance
18) Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
19) Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
20) Fates Warning - The Spectre Within

I haven't listened to enough Adramlech, but if i did i have a feeling that album would be a lot higher.

I never really got the Adramlech fellatio. I've listened to them several times but I didn't really find it that incredible. Great album nonetheless, but just not for me.

1. Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
2. Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
3. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
4. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath
5. Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead
6. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
7. Judas Priest - Stained Class
8. Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
9. Trouble - Psalm 9
10. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
11. Satan - Court In The Act
12. Pagan Altar - Volume 1
13. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
14. Angel Witch - Angel Witch
15. Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian
16. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
17. Solstice - New Dark Age
18. Dio - Holy Diver
19. Adramelch - Irae Melanox
20. Warning - Watching From A Distance

1. Adramelch - Irae Melanox
2. Warning - Watching From a Distance
3. Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
4. Pagan Altar - Volume 1
5. Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
6. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
7. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
8. Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
9. Trouble - Psalm 9
10. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
11. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
12. Judas Priest - Stained Class
13. Angel Witch - Angel Witch
14. Satan - Court in the Act
15. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
16. Solstice - New Dark Age
17. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
18. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
19. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
20. Dio - Holy Diver

they weren't in the top 10 first time round either so it's not that surprising, if anything it's logical that they'd drop since that first poll once people catch up with some of the more obscure albums in the top 20. personally i love sabbath but there aren't any albums i love front to back.

So, surprising at this stage: Black Sabbath is not in the Top 10.

I may need to do the Trad one over again with no doom..

I kind of agree. After listening to all these albums, this list is all over the place. I'm a little confused on what should or shouldn't have gone on this list. Does My Dying Bride's Angel and the Dark River belong here? Seems like it might after listening to that Warning album. I didn't vote for it because I thought it was gonna belong on the "other" list, but It might make more sense to do a trad/power thread and a grab-all doom metal thread that included trad doom, doom-death, gothic doom, funeral doom, etc.

I'll try and give everything a second listen before Friday, but I have to say the only new gem I've found was Pagan Altar, which is a killer record, and Adramelich, which I definitely need to give a few more listens to digest but left a strong first impression. Satan, Warning, Trouble, and Solstice are all in the 5-7 out of 10 range. Nothing bad, but I'm certainly scratching my head as to how those records made it over Iron Maiden.

the satan isn't totally consistent but has some of the best songs in the history of british metal IMO ('trial by fire', 'break free', 'broken treaties' and especially 'alone in the dock', my favourite NWOBHM tune bar none).

warning is just some of the most overwhelming music i've ever heard, and while it's debatable whether it's 'traditional' (the slowcore influences, for example, are well documented), it certainly takes a large percentage of its influences from trad doom - plus it came out of those circles and has its largest following there.

trouble are just widely canonised and classic, it would be weird if they weren't here (same way it's weird that vitus aren't).

solstice takes some getting used to, there are some odd shifts in key in the vocal lines and whatnot, but it should be obvious from a cursory listen that they're pretty much the platonic form of 'epic'.

it's worth reiterating that maiden probably suffered from having too many popular albums, anyways. personally i'm still pissed manowar didn't make it :p

If this were prelims I would scratch it and start over. However, this could be a 'special' thread I guess and I could do a trad redux including power metal (USPM, I guess? I'll have a discussion thread about it after I take a break from these for a month or so).

Death metal is definitely being rehashed.

Separating trad/power from doom is a good idea, but I don't think floyd's idea of having an all encompassing (funeral, death/doom, drone) doom thread is a good idea seeing as how those things really have nothing to do with doom itself in the first place

Separating trad/power from doom is a good idea, but I don't think floyd's idea of having an all encompassing (funeral, death/doom, drone) doom thread is a good idea seeing as how those things really have nothing to do with doom itself in the first place

ntsa1.jpg

I actually agree with him. Skepticism has no business on a list with Saint Vitus. Thats way larger a gap than any albums on this list.

I actually agree with him. Skepticism has no business on a list with Saint Vitus. Thats way larger a gap than any albums on this list.

So, what, traditional doom should get a whole list all to its own? That's stupid. I don't see how Skepticism would fit in better in a miscellaneous list with various disparate genres. There may be a big gap between Saint Vitus and Skepticism, but, as crimsonfloyd pointed out, there's not such a gulf between Warning and MDB's Angel and the Dark River.

what it really boils down to is how popular the various sub-genres are on this board. if they're popular enough to warrant a separate thread then they should get one, if they're not then what's the point? i'm not sure if trad doom has a bigger following on here than all the other kinds of doom combined, but i suspect it has a bigger following than any other one doom sub-genre.

personally i just can't be bothered distinguishing between power metal, speed metal, traditional metal and trad doom metal when so many of my favourite bands straddle lines between them. it's dumb having several lists where lots of the same albums are eligible, and i've no doubt those threads would descend into loads of pointless arguing and nitpicking about where various albums belong. this list is fine, all the albums chosen should appeal to more or less the same demographic.

This list very well might change as I'm gonna try and give most if not all of these one more listen before Friday, but in case I get too busy, here's how I rank them at the moment.

1. Judas Priest- Sad Wings of Destiny
2. Black Sabbath- Paranoid
3. Dio- Holy Diver
4. Manilla Road- Crystal Logic
5. Black Sabbath- Master of Reality
6. Angel Witch- Angel Witch
7. Jag Panzer- Ample Destruction
8. Judas Priest- Stained Class
9. Fates Warning- Awaken the Guardian
10. Pagan Altar- Volume 1
11. Adramelich- Irae Melanox
12. Fates Warning- The Spectre Within