GMD Votes: Top 20 Thrash Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Baroque. Maybe not with everything he listed but I find no problem with ranking and compairing old and new albums. Also if I would have been listening only to "the old classics" then Thrash overall would have lost my interest a long time ago.

I don't have a problem with that either. Most new thrash just doesn't live up to the standards of thrash circa 1983~1993.

Phantom Antichrist is better than anything Testament, Overkill, Sodom or Destruction have released in the past 10 years ... the latter two haven't even released anything worth talking about, especially Destruction ... last two Sodom albums were above average.

@ Luciferos: I don't know why you're so shocked ... as much as i like those Testament albums, they're just not that good. Every once in a while i throw them back in the cd player but it only takes a few minutes for me to realize how superior their older stuff is in just about every single way.

Oh my...
So when you say that Destruction hasn't released anything worth mentioning, how far does that reach?

I'm obviously talking about their recent stuff(as i clearly stated), last Destruction album that i would say is pretty good is the Antichrist.

And out of all the bands that were talking about, Destruction by far has the least impressive work of the last 10 years ... and i'm not alone here, just go look at the ratings and reviews for those albums. Once again, i'm not saying they're bad albums, but they're definitely nothing special.

PA > Testament(last 2) = Sodom(last 3)= Enemy of God = Ironbound > Hordes of Chaos > last 2 Overkill albums > Destruction (last 5)

I'm shocked since you think that PA is better than tFoD. But hey, it's your opinion.

tFoD and The Antichrist are two of my personal favorites and I think that tFoD are pure perfection and slays the majority of other Thrash bands old and new albums.

Also, ratings are irrelevant to me as I have my own taste. Like Megadeth and (early) Sepultura have great ratings but I can't stand them even when I've given Sepultura hundreds of times a try because I want to like them but their material doesn't catch my interest..

I had to Google 'Phantom Antichrist' to remember whose album that was. Even though Sodom is my least favorite when it comes to the classic 80s material, they're the only one with newer albums I like to listen to on occasion.

i find kreator's comeback albums being the best of the bunch. i like violent revolution(+live kreation) the most and even tho their other albums are steps below, at least they make for good workout music.
all the modern sodom/destruction albums are rubbish to me(excluding m16). i don't know what people see in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked since you think that PA is better than tFoD. But hey, it's your opinion.

Well i like both albums, it's not like i think they're leagues apart.

Also, ratings are irrelevant to me as I have my own taste.

I know we have all have our own taste bro, lol. You actually have pretty good taste in music yourself. I was just trying to throw other peoples opinions also out there(via reviews and ratings). :)

Like Megadeth and (early) Sepultura have great ratings but I can't stand them even when I've given Sepultura hundreds of times a try because I want to like them but their material doesn't catch my interest..

Have you given KiMB and Schizophrenia a shot?

I know we have all have our own taste bro, lol. You actually have pretty good taste in music yourself.

Right back at you! :)

Have you given KiMB and Schizophrenia a shot?

Yeah, Megadeath are great instrumental but I can't stand Mustaine's vocals at all :puke:
which I'm actually fine with because I do not really eager to listen to Megadeth. But when it comes to Sepultura I've been giving Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, Arise, Chaos A.D and even freaking Roots a lot of listening but nothing catch my interest, it's just dull to me. BtR have some moments for me but it never makes me want to put it in my CD player again or anything like that. I want to like them but I just can't... :erk:

Phantom Antichrist is better than anything Testament, Overkill, Sodom or Destruction have released in the past 10 years ... the latter two haven't even released anything worth talking about, especially Destruction ... last two Sodom albums were above average.

I agree. Kreator is currently one of the best live shows of any of the 80's thrash bands I've seen, up there with Slayer. Phantom Antichrist had some kickass tracks. It's not often I go see an 80's thrash band and hope they play some of their new stuff heh (but they didn't play Coma of Souls for me :().

I liked Dark Roots of the Earth and The Electric Age too though.

I wouldn't call Coma of Souls neutered in any way. It's just more controlled, composed instead of all out raging. It's a tactical war instead of a free for all melee. Still badass, maybe even moreso.

Also I get where you guys are coming from now. We are just ranking our albums by different criteria. I'm ranking by "Top 20 thrash albums I'd listen to now" while you guys are ranking by "Top 20 historically great/important thrash albums" which is fine. I think maybe Ozz should lay down the criteria he wants us to judge albums by in future threads to avoid this confusion. I was treating it like "Top 20 thrash albums currently kicking your ass" or something.

I know, but compare Overkill's albums with Testament's Dark Roots of Earth, the first 5 tracks are kickass as hell but after that it gets boring..

This is a fair assessment of Overkill imo. 5 might even be generous.

I wouldn't call Coma of Souls neutered in any way. It's just more controlled, composed instead of all out raging. It's a tactical war instead of a free for all melee. Still badass, maybe even moreso.

Well to be fair i meant meant neutered in comparison to PtK, it's still a pretty solid album though.

Also I get where you guys are coming from now. We are just ranking our albums by different criteria. I'm ranking by "Top 20 thrash albums I'd listen to now" while you guys are ranking by "Top 20 historically great/important thrash albums" which is fine.

Not me, i'm ranking mines just as you did. Vektor made it to #12 on my list, and Hexen was on my prelim list. I think all of the right albums were voted in, and i dont thnink it has anything to do with historical importance. It's not like any of the new albums form the older bands are good enough to have been mentioned here.

I think all of the right albums were voted in,

Really? You wouldn't even vote in more Megadeth? How about And Justice For All? More tech thrash like Obliveon and such? You think that's the right Coroner album? Holy Terror over all other options? I'm surprised to see these opinions from you.

It's not like any of the new albums form the older bands are good enough to have been mentioned here.

I was this close to putting Endgame on my list. But yeah for the most part. Phantom Antichrist could be mentioned towards the bottom mayyybe.

No, i don't agree ... as you can see from my prelim votes. I voted for the best Coroner album ... which is Punishment for Decadence. But what i was trying to say was that all of the right albums from Kreator, Destruction, Sodom etc had made these last two lists, not any of their stuff from the last 10 years.

Obliveon i think made the bottom of my top 30 list.

But if we're talking top 10 or 20 then no i don't think AJfA(mayyyybe), Obliveon or Holly Terror would be in it ... and i personally wouldn't rank any of the aforementioned higher than No More Color. I also think both KiMB and SFSGSW! belong on this list so yeah definitely more Megadeth.

I was this close to putting Endgame on my list. But yeah for the most part. Phantom Antichrist could be mentioned towards the bottom mayyybe

Yea, Endgame fuckin' rocks! This Day We Fight, Bite the Hand, How the Story Ends, title track :kickass:

More tech thrash

Yea, definitely. I tried to get more tech thrash in but fuck it i guess.

Have you got around to checking out A Vision of Misery yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked it out like a year ago. Didn't leave an impression on me at the time, I will check it out again. I'm currently listening to Rust In Peace again. Really holds up after all these years. Yeah this probably deserves the #1 spot with Vektor at #2 :p.

[EDIT] Listened to Sadus again. They're good musicians and all that. I have the same problem with it that I have with a lot of Tech Death. All those wacky tech ideas just don't mesh together into good songs. It's all disjointed and all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.