GMD Votes: All Other Genres Prelims

Yeah, we need specifics. If those don't count then neither should post-Dimension Hatross Voivod, KMFDM, Rammstein, probably-Nightwish-although-admittedly-I-don't-know-which-albums-are-more-metallic-than-others, and a number of other bands.

I don't see how Angel Dust is any more a metal album than any of their Patton albums.

And grunge was much more than just Nirvana. AiC were at the forefront of Seattle grunge, one of the 'big four', with Soundgarden and Pearl Jam rounding it off.

You mean any of the Mosley ones? tbh I haven't given those ones that much time, so maybe if I judged them on a song-by-song I'd come to the conclusion that they had an equal/greater number of metal songs.

My point about Nirvana is that they were closer to the roots of the movement in the more indie-leaning side of alt rock and in punk. Alice in Chains were a bunch of guys that played music with nothing in common with the originators and then jumped on the bandwagon when it was opportune and when they had major label support. Therefore, saying they were "grunge" speaks only of their locale and nothing of their music.

WHile AiC and Soundgarden do have some heavy tracks, i dont know about classifying them as metal. Also heavy music =/= heavy metal

lol @ anyone putting rammstein on their list.

All this industrial metal talk and no one has mentioned Demanufacture yet? :lol: edit: Nevermind. I see you, Old Fart ;)

HBB: Wasn't a lot of your list already covered by the thrash list? Watchtower, Mekong Delta, Doom..

The Mekong Delta album I included is about 90/10 prog/thrash, and I don't really consider Doom a thrash band (they're basically Voivod with less thrash background). The Watchtower is more borderline admittedly, but I didn't include it in my thrash list and I think its significance easily transcends tech-thrash.

Yall are calling shit on Tool and Rammstein but no one says anything about Wardruna or Ghost?? I'm thinking its become trendy to hate on certain acts, particularly from that era as if trying to distance yourself in embarassment from your younger years or some psychobabble.

In any case, list is edited per Ozz.

I'm thinking its become trendy to hate on certain acts, particularly from that era as if trying to distance yourself in embarassment from your younger years or some psychobabble.

It's trendy on this forum at least. Although, this has been the case since I registered so maybe not a trend..

I like all the groups listed (Tool, AIC), but I don't consider them metal either. They are on the very edge, I think.

What about Atheist - Elements and Death - Sound of Perseverance?

Pls explain what you mean by none of "those" bands

Tool, AIC, etc

Yall are calling shit on Tool and Rammstein but no one says anything about Wardruna or Ghost?? I'm thinking its become trendy to hate on certain acts, particularly from that era as if trying to distance yourself in embarassment from your younger years or some psychobabble.

In any case, list is edited per Ozz.

I don't know Wardruna, but looking at their M-A profile I don't even need to listen to them to agree with you.

You're absolutely right on Ghost too.

1) Melvins – Lysol
2) Melvins – Houdini
3) Acid Bath – When the Kite String Pops
4) Eyehategod – Dopesick
5) Breadwinner – The Burner
6) Meshuggah – Destroy Erase Improve
7) Spazz – La Revancha
8) Godflesh – Streetcleaner
9) Opeth – Orchid
10) Eyehategod – Take as Needed for Pain
11) Meshuggah – Chaosphere
12) Amebix – Arise!
13) Lamb of God – New American Gospel
14) Between the Buried and Me – The Silent Circus
15) Sleep – Dopesmoker
16) Cephalic Carnage – Lucid Interval
17) Lightning Bolt – Fantasy Empire
18) Pantera – Cowboys from Hell
19) Opeth – Still Life
20) Weedeater - Sixteen Tons

1. Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
2. Skepticism – Stormcrowfleet
3. Disembowelment - Transcendence Into the Peripheral
4. In the Woods – Heart of the Ages
5. Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
6. Skepticism – Lead and Aether
7. Katatonia – Dance of December Souls
8. Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency
9. Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
10. In the Woods – Omnio
11. Mournful Congregation – The Book of Kings
12. Asunder - A Clarion Call
13. Primordial - A Journey's End
14. Aarni - Bathos
15. Evoken – Quietus
16. Skepticism – Farmakon
17. Isis – Panopticon
18. Graveland - Immortal Pride
19. Umbra Nihil – Gnoia
20. Ras Algethi - Oniricon - The White Hypnotic
21. Nortt – Gudsforladt
22. Agalloch – The Mantle
23. Morrigan - Enter the Sea of Flames
24. Graveland - Dawn of Iron Blades
25. Estatic Fear - Somnium Obmutum

I didn't notice that. Is that band metal?
Their music is refered to (among other labels you might find) as Progressive Metal, Avant-garde Metal, Experimental Metal, so I don't see why they or at least their debut album (this is a topic about albums, not bands) don't fit in a topic titled "all other genres".

It seems a bit contradictory to have an "all other genres"-poll and then people start disqualifying each other's choices on account of not being metal enough. If this was a "True Metal"-poll, I could understand this kind of reasoning, but it is not. After all, this is just some kind of game, so there's no need to act like religious fundamentalists.

And as I already said somewhere in the discussion topic about this poll (at least I believe I did): if the majority of people taking part in this poll don't think a specific album is eligible for this poll, they won't vote for it and most likely, it won't get very far anyway, so no harm's being done. Or could it be that some people are afraid to lose their "metal-credibility", if they don't point out how "wrong" the choices of other people are?

I'm not a fan of Rammstein, but since someone also questioned their eligibility for this poll, I'd just like to point out that they have already headlined Wacken Open Air, which is one of the biggest metal festivals in the world.