19) Adagio - Sanctus Ignis
20) Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
21) Coroner - Grin
22) Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
23) Lazarus A.D. - The Onslaught
24) KMFDM - Nihil
25) Neurotech - Antagonist

If we are counting Atheist - Elements let me know, I'll add it in

Helmet, Faith No More, Alice in Chains & Tool are metal now? I never thought of them as metal.

1) Coroner - Grin
2) Melvins - Houdini
3) Gaza - No Absolutes in Human Suffering
4) Meshuggah - ObZen
5) [Car_Bomb] - w^w^^w^w
6) Botch - American Nervoso
7) Serious Beak - Huxwhukw
8) Conan - Blood Eagle
9) UFOmammut - ORO: Opus Alter
10) Isis - Oceanic
11) Norma Jean - O'God... the Aftermath
12) Converge - You Fail Me
13) Mastodon - Leviathan
14) Neurosis - Given to the Rising
15) Gaza - He is Never Coming Back
16) Botch - We are the Romans
17) [Car_Bomb] - Centralia
18) Om - God is Good
19) Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
20) Mastodon- Remission
21) Melvins- Stoner Witch
22) Neurosis - A Sun that Never Sets
23) Converge - No Heroes
24) Ministry - Psalm 69
25) Godflesh - Streetcleaner

Faith No More and Alice in Chains are blatantly metal. Helmet is admittedly borderline (they certainly didn't originate from metal), but Meantime ended up close enough with groove metal up and coming. I mean, if they aren't metal, Neurosis sure as fuck isn't.

On Tool I'll just drop this in from elsewhere:

They're both heavier and darker than many metal bands outside the death/black genres, while utilizing many of the typical metal earmarks--heavily distorted guitar, low-octave melodies featuring many power chords, minor keys, driving drum rhythms, full/powerful sound, dark lyrical themes and an overall dark sound.

If you're going to cross Tool out of the metal genre you might as well knock out the majority of bands in the prog, power, and symphonic genres as well, in addition to many others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments/294te2/tool_is_not_metal/

Except the frillier genres of metal are fruity descendants of Iron Maiden and maybe even Dio and of course deserve their spot.

Being dark and heavy isn't really a metal prerequisite and Tool's lyrical content is much closer to Korn's than their fan base would like.

Does full powerful sound mean that every song the band ever released sounds absolutely identical? Because Tool definitely has that.

;)

I dont really consider any of those bands metal. Alice in Chains are grunge along with Soundgarden and goddamn Nirvana. The best things they ever did were their softer material on the EPs.

Faith No More, no way. Just listen to their early albums with Chuck Mosley. They are more a pre-cursor to Korn. I'd throw them in with Janes Addiction, being ahead of their time and misunderstood.

Tool are a rock band, plain and simple. Yes they are heavy, and progressive, and oh so deep with songs about fist fucking and anuses. But they're a rock band.

Helmet came from Amphetamine Reptile and the noise rock scene along with Unsane and Quicksand.

Someone listed Botch and Converge. I dont consider either of those bands metal. They come from a hardcore type background along with Deadguy, Kiss It Goodbye, Candiria, etc.

Neurosis, on the other hand, came from punk, but by Souls at Zero, they became an entirely different beast with new members coming and others going. They created and defined an entire brand of sludge metal. Isis doesnt exist without them, or Cult of Luna, or a myriad of bands.

Faith No More and Alice in Chains are blatantly metal. Helmet is admittedly borderline (they certainly didn't originate from metal), but Meantime ended up close enough with groove metal up and coming. I mean, if they aren't metal, Neurosis sure as fuck isn't.

All of those three are alternative rock to me. All have elements of metal but that's it.

Someone listed Botch and Converge. I dont consider either of those bands metal. They come from a hardcore type background along with Deadguy, Kiss It Goodbye, Candiria, etc.

Sure, but they were lumped in with metalcore when the metalcore craze happened and both of them are a lot more metal than straight up hardcore, so that's why I threw them in.

Faith no More, Tool, and Alice and Chains are definitely not metal. I dont think this is even open to debate.

1) Devin Townsend - Infinity
2) Isis - Panopticon
3) Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
4) Opeth - Morningrise
5) Devin Townsend - Terria
6) Strapping Young Lad - Alien
7) Meshuggah - obZen
8) Om - Pilgrimage
9) Katatonia- Brave Murder Day
10) Devin Townsend Project - Ki
11) Dream Theater - Images and Words
12) Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
13) Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
14) Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
15) Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
16) Voivod - Dimension Hatröss
17) Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
18) Unearth - The Oncoming Storm
19) Alchemist - Organasm
20) !T.O.O.H.! - Rad a Trest

Soilwork is fair game here, no?

Even the Metal-Archives considers Alice in Chains and Faith No More metal. "Grunge" is not a real genre, and Alice in Chains was a hair metal/hard rock band that gradually got heavier and sang more about heroin addiction, but there is no musical commonality between them and the style that Nirvana became the representatives of. "Alternative rock" is even more vague. Yeah, Faith No More is far from a pure form of metal and the Mosley-era stuff is often more funk rock, but Angel Dust is close enough to a metal album, at least by the standards of this thread. Caffeine, Smaller & Smaller, Malpractice, Kindergarten, and Jizzlobber are all metal songs with metal riffs. I mean, do you guys consider "alternative metal" completely non-existent and simply alt rock without exception?

fwiw I wouldn't consider Isis or Cult of Luna to be any more metal than the aforementioned either. I can acknowledge that Neurosis was very influential and pioneered their "atmospheric sludge metal" thing (which had almost nothing to do with the many original and more metallic sludge metal bands btw), but what about that makes them metal? If you care about labels, they were on Alternative Tentacles, along with a number of hardcore and industrial acts. The only reason metal people make an exception for Neurosis is because they like them.

I dont consider MA to be gospel when it comes to who's metal who's not.

Helmet is on there. Soundgarden, AiC, FNM, but not Nirvana. MA does consider grunge a genre. Hell, even White Zombie is on there.

FNM, Jane's Addiction and Tool were the top dogs of quality in the early 90s (I was there!) when it came to mainstream rock. The Real Thing/Angeldust, Ritual de lo Habitual and Undertow were revolutionary records. Though I do consider My Bloody Valentine and The God Machine to be far superior rock bands.

As for FNM, I acknowledge Angel Dust is their most metallic, but one album does not a metal band make. In the middle of the metal they throw in a cutesy song like A Small Victory, which I happen to like. King for a Day and Album of the Year were hardly metal.

As for Neurosis, if you're stuck on the heaviness of a band and lyrical content (AiC), then Neurosis surely qualifies. Lyrics are of a pagan/spiritual slant and an album like Through Silver in Blood (which has singing, screams, and growls fwiw) is easily heavier than anything else we're discussing by miles. Same goes for CoL and Isis. Look at Isis' first two EPs which are pure sludge.

I think in the case with a lot of borderline bands, the term "extreme" should be used in place of "metal". Like it makes a damn difference.

I don't care about what Faith No More is on the whole, I'm just saying Angel Dust is a metal album (and the one before, but it wouldn't make it into my top 25). I only brought up the lyrics of AiC since they're often used to throw them into the grunge scene; I agree that the lyrics have nothing to do with their metalness.

I don't care about what Faith No More is on the whole, I'm just saying Angel Dust is a metal album (and the one before, but it wouldn't make it into my top 25). I only brought up the lyrics of AiC since they're often used to throw them into the grunge scene; I agree that the lyrics have nothing to do with their metalness.

I don't see how Angel Dust is any more a metal album than any of their Patton albums.

And grunge was much more than just Nirvana. AiC were at the forefront of Seattle grunge, one of the 'big four', with Soundgarden and Pearl Jam rounding it off.