Necessary genres of metal

Manic Ferocity

Nov 5, 2006
Since there are a ridiculous amount of sub-genres, it is hard to say which ones are actually necessary when classifying a metal band. What genres do you guys think are necessary and which ones are pointless (aka IMO viking metal, battle metal, folk metal, etc.)?

Without going into anything "-core" based:
Heavy
Power
Thrash
Black
Doom
Death

IMO necessary but not widely used like the above:
Sludge
Progressive
Gothic
Speed

I won't deny that I'm less knowledgable that many of the other posters here, so I suppose opinion on this subject might not seem very insightful, but I'll give it anyway.

I think the "big" sub-genres are necessary. Traditional, Thrash, Death, Black, Power and I guess Doom. I suppose the other sub-sub-genres could all be classified under one of the "big" sub-genres. Things like "brutal / technical death, etc., seem a bit overly analytical.

Again, though, I could be totally off base here.

Black
Death
Doom
Thrash
Heavy
Progressive
Power
Speed
Folk
Viking
Gothic
Metalcore

EDIT: Forgot prog

Not a Metal genre. Grindcore isn't Metal, Metalcore isn't Metal. Gothic is not Metal, Gothic Metal is a hybrid of Gothic and Metal. Progressive is a descriptive term, not a genre. Etc., etc.

Why wouldn't grindcore be a genre?

Also progressive - adjective
prog - genre

Not a Metal genre. Grindcore isn't Metal, Metalcore isn't Metal. Gothic is not Metal, Gothic Metal is a hybrid of Gothic and Metal. Progressive is a descriptive term, not a genre. Etc., etc.

eh, I don't know about that

prog metal is a hybrid of prog rock and metal, thus making it metal

besides your logic is flawed anyways, thrash was a hybrid of heavy metal, 70s hard rock, and punk

so I guess thrash isn't a metal genre either??

You're actually wrong.

Metalcore can be either metal or not, depends on the extent of the metal influence. Zao isn't metal. The Red Chord is.

Metalcore is never strictly Metal by definition, this doesn't have to fucking be addressed.

Yes it does actually, saying metalcore isn't metal while disreguarding the plethora of metalcore bands that ARE metal just shows ignorance on your behalf. Metalcore has two faces, the bands that are more hardcore influenced like Zao and The Number Twelve Looks like you and the more metal influenced ones like Animosity and Heaven Shall Burn.

The latter branch of bands ARE metal.