Joe of TheMetal

New Metal Member
Feb 27, 2019
Hey all, I run The Metal, a channel on youtube. I'm thinking about doing a video series on defining sub genres of metal. I'm looking for songs from each genre that epitomize everything that genre as. For example for thrash metal I tend to think of Phantom Lord by Metallica, for groove 5 Minutes Alone from Pantera, and for Doom, Sabbath's Electric Funeral. I'll want more than one song of each genera. I wanted to get feedback and see what songs everyone would suggest for genres. I'll want to cover nearly every major sub genre and sub sub genres after.

Also if you are interested in the channel, I'm normally announcing new albums coming out. I've also done a few videos ranking discographies. If anyone is interested it's here...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBEmz1G3LEIPAahvryMWAw

Thats pretty tough, but I'll throw into the ring.

Trad Heavy > Iron Maiden - Flight of Icarus
Doom Metal > Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Death Metal > Cannibal Corpse - Devoured By Vermin
Black Metal > Mayhem - Freezing Moon
Sludge Metal > Eyehategod - My Name Is God (I Hate You)
Alt. Metal > Alice in Chains - We Die Young
Prog Metal > Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Avant-Garde Metal > Meshuggah - Dance to a Discordant System

This isnt to say the mass amounts of sub-sub genres too.

Reactions: Joe of TheMetal
Thats pretty tough, but I'll throw into the ring.

Trad Heavy > Iron Maiden - Flight of Icarus
Doom Metal > Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Death Metal > Cannibal Corpse - Devoured By Vermin
Black Metal > Mayhem - Freezing Moon
Sludge Metal > Eyehategod - My Name Is God (I Hate You)
Alt. Metal > Alice in Chains - We Die Young
Prog Metal > Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Avant-Garde Metal > Meshuggah - Dance to a Discordant System

This isnt to say the mass amounts of sub-sub genres too.

I don't know if I agree with everything but I appreciate.
thrash ...
HOLY FUCKING WARS!

One of my all time favorite albums. I think you could almost consider most of this album technical or progressive thrash metal. I do think Megadeth has a song that will probably be among the ones I use. i'm not sure which yet, maybe something like Rattlehead.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I don't know if I agree with everything but I appreciate.

One of my all time favorite albums. I think you could almost consider most of this album technical or progressive thrash metal. I do think Megadeth has a dong that will probably be among the ones I use. i'm not sure which yet, maybe something like Rattlehead.
technical can be tagged on but i don't think it would be totally appropriate, especially when compared to full on technical thrash bands. Definitely not a progressive album though. Rattlehead is a great choice man, it won the poll here for best song on Killing Is My Business just a few days ago :kickass:

technical can be tagged on but i don't think it would be totally appropriate, especially when compared to full on technical thrash bands. Definitely not a progressive album though. Rattlehead is a great choice man, it won the poll here for best song on Killing Is My Business just a few days ago :kickass:

Yeah I don't know
@Joe of TheMetal hey are you familiar with Schizophrenia from Sepultura?

Yep, I have all the old school Sepultura.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
doom metal: Saint Vitus - Patra (Petra)
drone metal: Boris - Absolutego, Earth - Seven Angels (you'd have to do excerpts given their length)
industrial metal: Godflesh - Like Rats
post-metal: Russian Circles - Death Rides a Horse
sludge: Melvins - Heaviness of the Load, Neurosis - The Doorway
trad/heavy metal: Judas Priest - Dissident Aggressor, Mercyful Fate - Evil