Future Subgenre Poll?

Fuck this thread.

1424595495689.gif

I fail to see how this is more autistic than ranking all 20 of sabbath's albums. that requires the kind of specific details, this is more meta. i'm down for both tho tbh. That's one of the great parts of this forum, MA doesn't allow list threads.

To each their own. Some folks don't like to delve so specific into an artform/hobby they see in a more visceral light, and I get that. It kills the primal element by putting it under a microscope.

At the same time, I think the sub-genres really have a uniqueness all their own and seeing someone else who specifically lists Atmoblack, Pagan and Stoner (as these will surely will be on my top 5) might open my eyes to other styles I'm not familiar with. Maybe I'll realize I haven't given USPM enough of a fair shake if I see them listed in other folks lists with other shared top 5's. I think that's the real point here and I hope if we get enough participation it might open some doors for everyone.

All that said: I'll add the most recent suggestions tonight. Let's start working on condensing the list where it may be appropriate.

At the same time, I think the sub-genres really have a uniqueness all their own and seeing someone else who specifically lists Atmoblack, Pagan and Stoner (as these will surely will be on my top 5) might open my eyes to other styles I'm not familiar with. Maybe I'll realize I haven't given USPM enough of a fair shake if I see them listed in other folks lists with other shared top 5's. I think that's the real point here and I hope if we get enough participation it might open some doors for everyone.

That's ironic. I find "atmoblack" to be a fairly empty sub-genre title since almost all black metal is atmospheric. I know when people use it, they mean stuff like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Drudkh, but I don't find it to be a very meaningful signifier.

I would also argue pagan metal isn't a sub-genre, but a lyrical signifier.

That's ironic. I find "atmoblack" to be a fairly empty sub-genre title since almost all black metal is atmospheric. I know when people use it, they mean stuff like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Drudkh, but I don't find it to be a very meaningful signifier.

I would also argue pagan metal isn't a sub-genre, but a lyrical signifier.

Fair assessment. I could see it being merged with something else (post/black gaze/etc) for an overall style that focuses on atmosphere and soundscape over traditional song narrative, riffs, etc.

On Pagan I'd have to disagree. We could call it Black/Folk if it fits our purposes better, but there is a definitely unique sonic realm for stuff like Moonsorrow, Hammerheart-era Bathory, Myrkgrav, etc. I'm not about to advocate adding Tyr or Amon Amarth to that group if that was your thought.

I agree. I don't think it will be as useful in a directly measure-able way like the main genres would in providing a very concrete 1-10 type ranking, but rather looking at the substance of each person's choices as they relate to each other. If anyone is great with statistics or Excel or such it would be interesting to see a correlation IE people who like Post-Metal are much more likely to also appreciate X, but not Y.

I can do this, but I cannot promise it in a timely manner unless it's summer. I could write a program to do it though, no problem.

Yeah paring down the list will make the results more interesting. Otherwise you will have people ranking like:

1) Prog Thrash
2) Tech Thrash
3) Prog Death
4) Tech Death
5) Death

...and you won't learn much about their other tastes. I guess roll tech/prog into one at least. And also if you said pick up to 10 instead of pick 5 you might learn more about them.

It just depends how you want the results. The more genres you include the less info we'll have about each genre, but the results will be more taste specific. Similarly, the more genres you have each person rank, the more info you'll have.

Last edited: