Necessary genres of metal

I'd have to disagree, but lets not get into the "Trance" "Dance" shit :) Metal uses so many different styles and instruments, electronica always the same... I don't see Cello's or Violin's or trumpet's etc. in electronica :)

Damn dude, you obviously know very little about electronica.

Damn dude, you obviously know very little about electronica.

That is truth :) Sometimes I do talk out of my ass, but alas I do admit when I am wrong :)

The only problem with classical is that, no one has come out with something "good" in like.... the past 60 years? Thats the problem with that, I'm sure if you give metal 500 years to progress im sure it will be up there with classical. Classical is on a whole different level then any other genre, being as its been around forever >.> basically.

When you say "heavy metal" do you all agree this involves the music used with the terms "NWOBHM" and "Traditional Metal" because thats what i have always seen it as, the same thing, just different word.

There are the solid genres as listed in the first post, but we also make up our own genres or use words that represent styles of music akin to the way you see things yourself.

Example: for me, amongst my group of friends anyway, if you say something is brutal, then straight away im thinking of brutal death metal bands with blasting and heavy palm muted riffs, nothing else, i hate when people use brutal to describe old death metal bands or excruciatingly worse, black metal FUCK!

If you say it's techinical, then i could be thinking of anything from coroner to spawn of possession, because that word alone doesn't describe enough.

If you said it was progressive i would think of a band with a lighter guitar tone and song structures that don't repeat too much or at all. But prog is not a term i'm too familiar with because i don't listen to many bands to compare the use of the word too.

If you said it was speed metal, i would think of early blind guardian and helloween, racing music (almost rushed riffing you call it) in a more traditional style song structure. But is commonly linked with other genres like early megadeth speed/thrash

Yes i believe there is Viking metal.

It may seem pretty stupid using all these words to describe things, but like genres, these words are created or made symbolic for reasons of simplifying explanations and categorisations, they just don't describe a more solid basis of musical content as the main genres.

That is truth :) Sometimes I do talk out of my ass, but alas I do admit when I am wrong :)

The only problem with classical is that, no one has come out with something "good" in like.... the past 60 years? Thats the problem with that, I'm sure if you give metal 500 years to progress im sure it will be up there with classical. Classical is on a whole different level then any other genre, being as its been around forever >.> basically.

John Adams? Pierre Boulez? Just because you don't know anything about modern classical (not that I know alot about it but...) doesn't mean they arn't good things being releases.

Example: for me, amongst my group of friends anyway, if you say something is brutal, then straight away im thinking of brutal death metal bands with blasting and heavy palm muted riffs, nothing else, i hate when people use brutal to describe old death metal bands or excruciatingly worse, black metal FUCK!

brutal is anything that's well... brutal

anything from sludge to old school DM like morbid angel to raw thrash like exhorder

if it is skullcrushingly heavy, then it is brutal

If progressive metal isn't a genre what would you consider Opeth? I'd go with doom/death as a most accurate description.

All of them. Frankly, genres suck in many cases. They're just general guidelines. They're helpful in identification and finding new music that you're more likely to enjoy, but they've also had adverse effects in terms of creativity and originality with wanting wanting to "play black metal" or something to that effect. I'm sure that the fact that genres exist also have created people whose goal it is to go against that notion, but the former is far more common.