Whats your favorite band from each genre ?

NecrosluG

Symphonic Metal Composer
Nov 22, 2006
The Grand Psychotic Castle
Whats your favorite band from each genre ? just a thing to get distracted from and have some fun.

I dunno if you discuss about metalcore and stuff like that in here but include them if you are.

ps: Excuse my noobness but if this has been done before notify me and I'll delete this thread if it has a parametr for deletion.

mine:
Black Metal :Bathory, Emperor, Dark Funeral, Dimmu Borgir, hecate Enthroned, Abyssos, Covenant, Emperor and Immortal
Death Metal(including tech death and melodic death) : Nile, Obituary, Necrophagist, Death , Deicide, Cryptopsy, Cannibal Corpse.
Power Metal: Rhapsody, Savatage, Firewind, Helloween.

you ?

yeah, I pressed submit thread two times and the system just crashed. Now there are two threads and I cant delete the other one.
Dont the edit options have the section to delete a thread ?

Heavy/thrash/power: IRON MAIDEN :kickass:, Slayer, Sodom, Lost Horizon, Avian, Celtic Frost

Death: Vomitory, Insision, Infected Malignity, Bolt Thrower, Cryptopsy, Debauchery, Dripping

Black or any black-ish stuff: Burzum, Emperor, early Bloodthorn, Ragnarok, Satyricon, Immortal, Bathory, Vintersorg, Borknagar, Asmeign

Grind/deathgrind/any grindy type stuff-Preschool Tea Party Massacre, Birdflesh, Discordance Axis, Cock and Ball Torture

of course this thread has been done before, but it is always fun to do threads like this once and a while.

Black - Darkthrone, Burzum, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Emperor pre-IX (fuck did I ever hate that record), Immortal, Bathory (first 4), Blut Aus Nord (beginning with The Mystical Beast of Rebellion), Graveland (up to Immortal Pride)

Death - Suffocation, Obituary, Entombed/Dismember/Carnage (same sound, different bands), Soulside Journey, Cannibal Corpse (retarded as they are, I love that band), Morbid Angel (easily the greatest ever), Deicide (just that one album)

Grind - ASSUCK. PERIOD. DONE.

Sad Doom - Skepticism, Thergothon, Esoteric, Nortt (I'm putting him here because it's easiest), diSEMBOWELMENT

Drug Doom - Cathedral, Warhorse (now that was a HUGE album), Electric Wizard (only Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone), the first two Sunn O))) records, Burning Witch, and I guess EYEHATEGOD fit here

Thrash - Slayer (obligatory for everybody here), the three German, fuckheaded bands (Destruction/Sodom/Kreator: again, same sound, different bands), Metallica (I'll always, always love the first four, without which I wouldn't be posting here), Sepultura (between Beneath... and Chaos AD), Among the Living

Heavy/Power-IRON MAIDEN, Blind Guardian, Helloween

Other bands that I worship and for whom I didn't find a suitable place:
Celtic Frost (some say black, some death, some thrash)
Venom (see Celtic Frost)
Kyuss (pure, unadulterated greatness)
Borknagar
Arcturus
Ulver (metal and non-metal stuff both)

Goddammit I forgot GODFLESH, NEUROSIS, and AT THE GATES.

Speaking of At the Gates, as much as they (certainly inadvertently) influenced all the little bastards with the shaggy black hair and the studded white belts, they were still a phenomenal band. Every album (though Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul moreso than the first two) is a classic in my book.

You know, in writing this post I noticed something. The bands that initially introduced me to metal are still, after 9 or 10 years, my favorites, and I'm still regularly listening to albums that I've had for damn near half my life. Unfortunately, I really can't say if this is due to high musical quality of those bands or insurmountable biases that form early on during the discovery of a genre. Hmm...

Morbid Angel is overrated. Especially Altars of Madness.

Pretty nice list otherwise. You remind me, I forgot to give Metallica credit. Without them I would not be posting here either. My first metal band.

Bah, what the hell.

Death Metal: Demigod (Slumber Of Sullen Eyes) Unleashed (first two, especially Shadows in the Deep), Miasma, Therion (first two), Liers in Wait, Cartilage (underrated Finnish gods), Epitaph (Swe), Demilich, Molested (underrated Norwegian gods), Rottrevore, God Macabre, Crypt of Kerberos, Phlebotomized.

Black metal: Ildjarn, Graveland, Hail, Dark Tribe, Gorgoroth (first two), Burzum, Darkthrone (Transilvanian Hunger), Immortal (Pure Holocaust), Throne of Ahaz (Nifelheim), Absurd (Facta Loquuntur), Belketre, Mütiilation, Nav', Sacramentum, Beherit, Rotting Christ (first two), Deathspell Omega.

Thrash: Vio-Lence, Exodus, Gehennah (Hardrocker is the most metal thing EVER), Morbid Saint.

Death-Doom: Disembowelment, Asphyx, Sempiternal Deathreign, Mourning, Spina Bifida, Mystic Charm.

Genre | Band

Hev: Judas Priest
Satan: Celtic Frost
Urgh: Autopsy
*tear: Saint Vitus
Fucked: Poison (the real one)
Drunk: Tankard
Bruvs: Iron Maiden
Bruvs II: Satan
YEARGH: Cirith Ungol
Old n' Crusty: Manilla Road
NIIIIIGGGHHHTMAAAARE: Sarcofago
Fjord: Darkthrone
It's fun getting into: Trouble

sure, why not

Black: Borknagar, Emperor, Satyricon, Samael, Summoning, Aborym, Morker, Limbonic Art
Death: Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, Bolt Thrower
Death/Black: Zyklon
Doom: Lamented Souls
Industrial: Rammstein
Progressive: Opeth
Avantgarde: Arcturus
Thrash: Slayer
Viking: Falkenbach

Heavy and Power Metal are not of my liking.

Black: abigail williams, dimmu borgir
Death: guttural secrete, kataklysm
Doom: my dying bride
Progressive: Opeth
melodic death: insomnium, daylight dies
Thrash: kreator
power: dragonforece, wintersun, angra
grindcore: agoraphobic nosebleed, nasum
Goregrind: exhumed
Metalcore- job for a cowboy, as blood runs black

death: demilich, necrophagist, bolt thrower, and ebony tears

black: woods of ypres, catamenia, naglfar, rotting christ, ulver, and ummm....

doom: blck sabbath, candlemass, and ummm.....

folk: elvenking, cruachan, ensiferum, korpiklaani

power: angra, sonata arctica, dragonforce (kinda), kamelot

crap: trivium, slipknot, and korn (lol)

mixed: agalloch, acid bath, and ummm...

thrash: racer x and cacophony

heavy- Iron Maiden, unless you consider Mercyful Fate as heavy metal...
thrash- Slayer
death- Morbid Angel or Cannibal Corpse
black- Burzum

ok, maybe these aren't the pc genres for these bands, fuck it.

black: trollheims grott
doom: reverend bizarre
LotR: summoning
viking: bathory
rap: necro
thrash: megadeth
troll: finntroll
heathen: moonsorrow
sewer: stiny plamenu
gothic: havayoth
electronic: slaves mask
reggae: eek-a-mouse
pirate: battleheart
classic rock: warren zevon
grunge: alice in chains
classical: beethoven
power: lost horizon
folk: korpiklaani
death: deathchain
boy band: fingerbang
christian: faith+1

and other stuff i couldn't think of, but yeah.

and this Rus band troll bands fir i'm listening to right now sounds like... chocobo racing. :erk: :kickass:

thrash - slayer, metallica, megadeth, sepultura, sodom
death - death, morbid angel, necrophagist, quo vadis, dismember, entombed, suffocation, behemoth, atheist
prog/power metal/any other genre - old pantera, pagan's mind, opeth, symphony x, mastodon, pain of salvation,

Heavy: Iron Maiden
Death: Insomnium, Amon Amarth
Black: Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir
Doom: Swallow The Sun, Daylight Dies
Power: Blind Guardian, DragonForce, Iced Earth
Progressive: Dream Theater, Opeth
Thrash: Anthrax, Slayer
Gothic: Dark Lunacy

this thread has happened about a thousand times, but im am utterly fucking bored, so here goes:

Death: At the Gates, Death, The Chasm, Amorphis, God Macabre, Arghoslent, Runemagick, Demigod, Miasma, Morbid Angel, Opeth, Katatonia, Grotesque, Liers in Wait, Necrophobic, Therion etc.

Thrash: Slayer, Testatement, Kreator, Sodom, Megadeth, Coroner, Exhorder, Heathen, Mortal Sin, Artillery, Holy Terror, Overkill, Vio-Lence, Death Angel, Dark Angel, Onslaught etc.

Heavy: Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Alchemist, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune, Witchfinder General etc.

Black: Mayhem, Destroyer 666, Aeternus, Tiamat, Drudkh, Tormentor, Moonblood, Bathory, Nachtfalke, Sacramentum, Dissection, Sarcofago, Watain, Deathspell Omega, Primordial, Mercyful Fate, Immortal, Beherit, Summoning etc.

Doom: Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Mournful Congregation, Skepticism, Pagan Altar, My Dying Bride, Agalloch, Mourning Beloveth etc.

I am not putting (old) at the end of bands.

Death Metal: includes dark metal and melodic ~ Amorphis,Demigod,Morbid Angel,Sentenced,Necrophobic,God Macabre,Bolt Thrower,Autopsy,Unleashed,Opeth,Bloodbath,In Flames,Edge of Sanity,Dissection,Unanimated,At The Gates,Sacramentum,Agalloch,Katatonia,Tiamat,Gorguts,Torchure,Incantation,Immolation

Black Metal ~ Mercyful Fate,Celtic Frost,Burzum,Diabolical Masquerade,Satyricon,Immortal,Mayhem,Lord Belial.

Thrash ~ Kreator,Destruction,Sodom

Gothic Metal ~ Theatre of Tragedy,Leaves' Eyes,Tristania

Traditional ~ Iron Maiden,Judas Priest

Doom and Doom Death ~ Black Sabbath,Candlemass,Solitude Aeturnus,Cathedral,Reverend Bizarre,Melvins,Eternal Darkness(swe),Evoken,My Dying Bride,Anathema,Saint Vitus,October Tide,Paradise Lost

Industrial~ Pitch Shifter,Godflesh