What Is Your Favorite Metal Sub-Genre?

What is your favorite sub-genre of metal?

• Power Metal etc.

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Death Metal etc,

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Black Metal etc.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Traditional/Old School Metal etc.

• Folk Metal etc.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Industrial Metal etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nu-Metal etc.

• Metalcore etc,

• Grindcore etc.

• Deathcore etc.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Doom Metal etc.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Stoner Metal etc.

• Progressive Metal etc.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Thrash Metal etc.

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Other (Please Specify In Topic)

• Total voters

NocturnalNemesis

New Metal Member
Aug 10, 2010
Metal is the broadest and most creative genre of music, with everything from classical-influenced sub-genres to the harshest forms of music in the world, which is why it is so great and really has something for everyone. So which is your favorite sub-genre of metal? I like harsher forms of metal as well as symphonic kinds, but symphonic power metal would win out if I had to pick the best one, mainly because it is so incredibly complex, technical and epic-sounding. Vote for your favorite... :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Last time I heard symphonic power metal it wasn't really "incredibly complex" or "technical".

Do you know of any specific songs that represent everything that is good about the metal sub-general that you like most? Here are some songs that I think embody the traits that truly make Symphonic Power Metal great:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted to say traditional because of Judas Priest (which is my all time favorite band), but I also really like thrash and death.
What to do?

I'm tempted to say traditional because of Judas Priest (which is my all time favorite band), but I also really like thrash and death.
What to do?

Personally, I wouldn't let a single band hijack and hold hostage an entire genre (or two), but that's up to you. As an aside, someone voted "Other, please specify" but didn't specify, what have I missed here anyway?

my number one flips back and forth between Death and Black. but I chose Death.
Power is #3 because the lack of good bands.
Black and Death are loaded with good bands.. especially Black.

Personally I think the amount of shitty half assed black metal bands by far outnumber the good ones.