What Is Your Favorite Metal Sub-Genre?

What is your favorite sub-genre of metal?

• Power Metal etc.

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Death Metal etc,

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Black Metal etc.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Traditional/Old School Metal etc.

• Folk Metal etc.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Industrial Metal etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nu-Metal etc.

• Metalcore etc,

• Grindcore etc.

• Deathcore etc.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Doom Metal etc.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Stoner Metal etc.

• Progressive Metal etc.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Thrash Metal etc.

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Other (Please Specify In Topic)

• Total voters
Progressive metal, but not as in Dream Theater and Symphony X, but bands who are truly progressive/experimental and pushed their genres/subgenres one step further, such as Misery's Omen, The Skaden, Pensees Nocturnes, Death, Hammers of Misfortune, Savatage, etc.

I'm curious as to why you guys have chosen the genre you voted for, can you specify more?

Black Metal is the genre I appreciate most because it's the most anti-commercial one, and obviously I like the music (otherwise I wouldn't listen to it). However, I also love Thrash, Doom, Gothic and Death.

Death Metal.
Doom and Doom/Death.
Industrial Metal.
..random progressive stuff.
Thrash.

Well so far Death Metal seems to cleaning up everyone else. It's not surprising that since Metal is an extreme form of music, a lot of people that are attracted to metal are attracted to its more extreme form as well. Also, the death metal scene is relatively big in the USA, and most people on this forum are seemingly American. Still have yet to see anyone explain exactly why they like their favorite genre of music though...

Anyone else wanna offer any other socio-cultural insights into why Death Metal slays the competition in sheer numbers in the poll here, or have I already covered everything?

Indeed, very insightful, thank you wise brother of knowledge...

I'm sorry master of knowledge and debating, I should have been more specific. I don't think I can contribute to this debate with any more aspects that make death metal the most accepted metal genre socio-culturally. Mainly because you sound like a pretentious stupid twat and I don't think I'm in a mood to even think about why you try so hard to be like this. You're in this in-between-stage of pretentious stupidity where your mother would still defend you as an instinctive act of motherhood, but your father would not anymore because he'd think it through.

I'm sorry master of knowledge and debating, I should have been more specific. I don't think I can contribute to this debate with any more aspects that make death metal the most accepted metal genre socio-culturally. Mainly because you sound like a pretentious stupid twat and I don't think I'm in a mood to even think about why you try so hard to be like this. You're in this in-between-stage of pretentious stupidity where your mother would still defend you as an instinctive act of motherhood, but your father would not anymore because he'd think it through.

Funny stuff, yet pitiable too. I try to have a philosophical discussion about different metal genres and the people that like them, and then instead get accused of being "pretentious" and "stupid".
Look, son, I know there may be a typical stereotype floating around out there of metalheads as being mindless, drugged-up/drunk violence-prone freaks without an intelligent bone in their bodies, but in your case it's obviously reality and not a stereotype anymore (mainly the mindless part, that is).
People should be able to discuss metal on these forums in more intelligent terms than "Fuck yeah" without being flamed as being "pretentious", because some people do actually have more than half a brain, you know?
You already admitted that you are incapable of contributing to the philosophical discussion of metal at hand, but rather resorted to some childish flaming instead, but there is a silver lining here: like they say, admitting you have a problem is the first step to improvement... :lol:

My favourite sub-genre,would have to be War Metal for it's punishing,non compromising attack.Although I have favourites from most sub-genres,apart from Nu-metal,metalcore and deathcore,I don't really like those sub-genres.

Funny stuff, yet pitiable too. I try to have a philosophical discussion about different metal genres and the people that like them, and then instead get accused of being "pretentious" and "stupid".
Look, son, I know there may be a typical stereotype floating around out there of metalheads as being mindless, drugged-up/drunk violence-prone freaks without an intelligent bone in their bodies, but in your case it's obviously reality and not a stereotype anymore (mainly the mindless part, that is).
People should be able to discuss metal on these forums in more intelligent terms than "Fuck yeah" without being flamed as being "pretentious", because some people do actually have more than half a brain, you know?
You already admitted that you are incapable of contributing to the philosophical discussion of metal at hand, but rather resorted to some childish flaming instead, but there is a silver lining here: like they say, admitting you have a problem is the first step to improvement... :lol:

Ok I read your long-ass answer again.

Stop using words like "philosophical" and "socio-cultural" so much when it comes to discussing metal bands please. It just sounds idiotic so not needed. The thing is that your previous post could be also written like this:

"So why do you think people like death metal the most?".

Which, believe it or not, would bring more answers than this, which just made me laugh:

NocturnalNemesis said:
Anyone else wanna offer any other socio-cultural insights into why Death Metal slays the competition in sheer numbers in the poll here, or have I already covered everything?

But as for myself: I voted for death metal because I listen to it most (!!!) and I don't really know so many bands from other genres becase I get tired of them more easily. Here is a nice graph btw., I love last.fm:

3c5d70b0a85da968def0fe4026002d49_pie.png

Well so far Death Metal seems to cleaning up everyone else. It's not surprising that since Metal is an extreme form of music, a lot of people that are attracted to metal are attracted to its more extreme form as well. Also, the death metal scene is relatively big in the USA, and most people on this forum are seemingly American.

also, the people who like fun, more sociable metal are out having fun and being sociable/

^erm...what a ridiculous thing to say. Death Metal has won because people here generally feel that musically it is the most satisfying genre, seems very retarded to try and draw anything else from it.

I voted Death Metal, because I feel it has the most variation overall. I dip in and out of everything but DM has such a wide range of band and song styles that it keeps me coming back for more. Thrash is a close second simply because I <3 it

Can't choose... based on my last.fm which I haven't scrobbled on in for like a year I guess it would be death metal and death subgenres followed by thrash..