What's your favorite sub-genre(s) of metal?

What's your favorite sub-genre of metal?

• Total voters
Aug 18, 2006
S. Illinois
I know this question probably been asked several times on this board, but I'm just curious as to what seems to be the most popular sub-genre of metal these days amongst of course the members of this board.

I'll start out by saying that my favorite genre right now is Power Metal. Mainly for its great riffs and solos and high-powered clean vocals. These days it's Primal Fear, Grave Digger, Freedom Call, DragonForce, Brainstorm, and eventually bands like Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, and Blind Guardian.

I also like Progressive Metal a bit, of bands like Pagan's Mind and possibly Threshold in the future. Of course, Iron Maiden's an old favorite, but they'd fall under NWOBHM.

I like a little Death Metal these days, with bands like Dark Tranquillity, but that's it. I ust find the growling vocals to be a bit silly most of the time. The only thing that saves DT for me is their melodic musicianship. Bands like Cannibal Corpse I just find extremely ridiculous. Ironically, back in the '90s, I was big into Death metal, with bands like Obituary, Morbid Angel, Death, and Deicide.

The only Black Metal band that I'm interested in getting into is Dimmu Borgir. Only because of their symphonic backing parts.

I also like most of the old school thrash bands from the '80s, Megadeth, Overkill, Testament and so forth.

Oh, I forgot...the one metalcore band I like is Trivium. Despite the haters, they're a pretty good band for as young as they are.
How 'bout you?

NWOBHM IS NOT A FUCKING GENRE YOU STUPID FUCKING CUNT!

[/necuratul]

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

God all of you are fucking idiots! I'm the only one with an ounce of intelligence here!

[/whatnecthinks]

anyway

I voted black since sym black aint there

Symphonic black, black, progressive/power, death

thrash

simple, technical, midly aggressive, extremely aggressive, it's all good. I can put on a C grade album like Assassin's debut and still have fun. Hm...C grade black metal(shudders)

I'll start out by saying that my favorite genre right now is Power Metal. Mainly for its great riffs and solos and high-powered clean vocals. These days it's Primal Fear, Grave Digger, Freedom Call, DragonForce, Brainstorm, and eventually bands like Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, and Blind Guardian.

I also like Progressive Metal a bit, of bands like Pagan's Mind and possibly Threshold in the future. Of course, Iron Maiden's an old favorite, but they'd fall under NWOBHM.

I like a little Death Metal these days, with bands like Dark Tranquillity, but that's it. I ust find the growling vocals to be a bit silly most of the time. The only thing that saves DT for me is their melodic musicianship. Bands like Cannibal Corpse I just find extremely ridiculous. Ironically, back in the '90s, I was big into Death metal, with bands like Obituary, Morbid Angel, Death, and Deicide.

The only Black Metal band that I'm interested in getting into is Dimmu Borgir. Only because of their symphonic backing parts.

I also like most of the old school thrash bands from the '80s, Megadeth, Overkill, Testament and so forth.

Oh, I forgot...the one metalcore band I like is Trivium. Despite the haters, they're a pretty good band for as young as they are.
How 'bout you?

wow, what a queer post. I am the exact opposite. I despise power metal, and most of the black metal I like is of the raw variety. I like thrash, especially crossover. most of the death metal I like is classic death like Autopsy and Death. doom is good too and I absolutely love grindcore (blah blah blah its not music /bluegay /hellawaitsusall)

Metalcore and Nu-Metal are on here, but glam metal isn't? :err:

Anyway,

Thrash, Speed Metal, Glam Metal, Traditional/NWOBHM, Death Metal, and Power Metal.

Black, old style melodic death, folk/viking/black, grindcore, sludge, tech death, doom, prog, brutal death, etc etc.

In that order.