Your MP3 Player... a silly genre question...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
OK... so the whole Crust, Crustcore, War Crust sub-genre madness got me wondering... how deep does the rabbit hole go and how deep do most people follow it? So... on your iPod/MP3 player, assuming you take the time to classify things by genre, how many different genres do you have? For me...

Black Metal... fairly obvious

Cigar Music... anything non-Metal that I listen to when I'm chillin'; smoking a cigar, eating dinner, hittin' it.

Death Metal / Melodeath... I can't be bothered trying to figure out where the lines are between Metalcore, MeloDeath, Death Metal, Brutal Death Metal, etc. lie. So this includes everything from Lamb of God to Vader, Necrophagist to Trivium, Swallow the Sun to Orphaned Land.

Heavy Metal... any Metal that doesn't fit in my "Power Metal / Prog Metal" genre... Anthrax to Nevermore, Mercyful Fate to Gates of Slumber.

Metal... mostly 80s Metal.

Pagan / Viking / Folk... Agalloch, Moonsorrow, Primordial, etc.

Post-Metal... Isis, Cult of Luna, Mouth of the Architect, etc.

Power Metal / Prog Metal... I think everyone here can figure this one out.

Prog Rock / Post-Rock... Coheed & Cambria, Explosions of the Sky, Porcupine Tree, etc.

Recently Added... anything recently introduced to my iPod, that I want to make it a point to check it out. Sort of a landing zone for new files before I categorize them into one of the other genres.

Rock / Stoner... Allman Brothers, Down, CoC, Kyuss, etc.

11 genres in all. I once had 22... it drove me crazy.

Zod

Cigar Music... anything non-Metal that I listen to when I'm chillin'; smoking a cigar, eating dinner, hittin' it.

Great, now I'm picturing Zod with a pair of headphones on while "hittin' it"! :lol: Thanks Zod...I'm scarred for life!

To answer your question, my MP3 player mainly consist of power metal (Grave Digger, Hibria, Power Quest), Doom (Candlemass, Trouble) and what I refer to as "True Metal" (Wolf, Nevermore, Dio).

~Brian~

Great, now I'm picturing Zod with a pair of headphones on while "hittin' it"! :lol: Thanks Zod...I'm scarred for life!

Just add the cigar and that's the image in my mind.

I don't have an mp3 player these days except my phone which doesn't do genres but I used to be big about classifying things until I just got lazy. It's a pain partially because the same band will have several CDs all labeled differently when you automatically get the track information whether or not they stylistically have changed. Every now and then I'd go through and at least make the genre consistent for each band unless there were any major changes to what I'd consider their genre (such as pre-Anneke Gathering vs Anneke Gathering and I could even divide that two additional ways).

Prog Metal - Dream Theater, Vanden Plas, PoS, etc.

Power Metal - Gamma Ray, Vicious Rumors, Edguy (with the exception of the last 2 releases which have been deleted), etc.

Tech Metal - Zero Hour, Meshuggah, Twisted Motivations, etc.

Death Metal - Opeth, Orphaned Land, etc. ( I have very little of this type)

Metal - 80s metal stuff...Dio, Killer Dwarfs, MegaDeth, etc.

NuMetal - Disturbed, Mudvayne, Slipknot, etc.

Hard Rock - Ted Nugent, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy, etc.

Prog Rock - Yes, Rush, Flower Kings, etc.

I think that's it.

I don't have an mp3 player, but I queue things up on my media player and let it go more often than I do my stereo these days. I really can't even be bothered with the genres. I just leave whatever they were tagged by whoever uploaded them, or if I'm ripping a disc of my own, whatever it pulls from whatever database. If I ever have to choose, it's one of two: "metal" or "rock." All else is unnecessary detail. :)

My MP3 has the following:

Prog metal(no Brainer)
Power Metal
Viking/Folk Metal
Some MeloDeath
Prog Rock
Some 80's Hair Metal
Southern Rock(HYDRA, ALLMAN BROTHERS, and such)
60's and early 70's rock(CAPTAIN BEYOND, MOBY GRAPE, ELECTRIC FLAG)
not as many genre's as ZOD but it really surprised me to have this many genres.

It might not be metal, but that above is the most METAL statement I've ever read on this board. That is so freakin' awesome!!!
Thank you Sir.

LOL. I actually have a very nice iPod speaker in the bedroom.

Just add the cigar and that's the image in my mind.
ala George Constanza, trying to get laid while eating a pastrami sandwich? :heh:

Zod

I'm guilty of having a ridiculous number of genres and sub-genres in my itunes/ipod. Right now I have 99 genres for about 6,000 songs. I could probably consolidate some of them so that I don't have 5+ different genres for Symphonic, Folk, Gothic etc..

e.g. Symphonic Extreme Power Metal
Symphonic Gothic Metal
Symphonic Metal
Symphonic Power Metal
Symphonic Viking/Folk Metal
Symphonic/Melodic Metal

A job for another day XD

11 genres in all. I once had 22... it drove me crazy.
I too have 11 genres. Wouldn't bother me the least bit if there were more.
On thing I noticed when checking was that I have absolutely no Blues or Jazz.
I'm sorely tempted to make this 10 genres as 1 album is something as trivial as a Soundtrack and is labeled as such.

My list?
Nothing special but here it is:
Classical
Country
Electronic
Folk-Rock
Hard Rock
Metal
Pop
Progressive Rock
Rock
Soundtrack
Symphonic Rock

Ambiance- Beto Vazquez Infinity, Edenbridge, Within Temptation etc.
Black Metal- CoF, Dimmu Borgir, Sigh etc. (Not much).
Folk Death Metal (ie Pagan Metal)- Ensiferum, Turisas, Wintersun, Einherjer etc.
Folk Power Metal- Wuthering Heights, Falconer, Elvenking, etc.
Gothic Metal- Sirenia, Epica, Tristania, After Forever etc.
Grunge- Alice in Chains seems to be all.
Hard Rock- AC/DC, Aerosmith, Babylon A.D., Blue Murder etc.
Heavy Metal- Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio, Fight, Scorpions etc.
Industrial Metal- Rammstein, Treponem Pal etc (Very little)
Melodic Death Metal- Mercenary, In Flames, Hypocrisy, Raintime, Scar Symmetry etc.
Melodic Metal- Fifth Angel, Leatherwolf, The Poodles etc.
Nu-Metal- Disturbed, P.O.D., Linkin Park (That's all of it).
Power Metal- Gamma Ray, Bloodbound, Firewind, Axxis... a lot.
Progressive Metal- Dream Theater, Circle II Circle, Communic etc. (Not much).
Progressive Power Metal- Royal Hunt, Savatage, Serenity etc.
Rock- Tony Carey, Cheap Trick, Blackfoot, Foreigner etc. (Not much. A few sentimental leftovers from way back.)
Thrash- Metallica and Megadeth is all of it.

Death Metal - traditional death metal, like Dismember, Disincarnate, early Gorguts
Doom Metal - Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain
Folk - Agalloch's The White
Fusion - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Indie Rock - Damien Jurado, Iron & Wine, Fleet Foxes
Progressive Ambient - Humanoid
Progressive Death Metal - Augury, Edge of Sanity, Wayd
Progressive Rock - Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Porcupine Tree,
Technical Death Metal - Spawn of Possession, Stargazer, Martyr, Atheist and so on

That's probably not representative as I can only fit about 70 albums on my phone, but I guess it'll work.

I've got mine segregated as

Classic Rock - Styx, Kansas, Bob Seeger, ELP,
Southern Rock - Lynyrd Skynrd, Allman Brothers, Blackfoot
Power Metal - Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Helloween
Gothic Metal - Nightwish, Delain
80's Metal- Rainbow, Scorpions, Saxon, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden
70's Metal - Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy
Prog Metal - Tiles, Timothy Pure, Freak Kitchen
Thrash - Megadeth, Motorhead, Metallica, Annihilator etc.
Alternative - Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Disturbed, Godsmack
Rare Rock - Stuff I classify as one/two hit wonders like Donnie Iris, New England, Shooting Star, Orion The Hunter, GTR, Barry Goudreau, Pat travers, Peter Schilling, Max Webster, Billy Thorpe, Red Rider etc.
New Wave - Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, INXS
Doom - Trouble, Candlemass, While Heaven Wept,

Never bothered going in and doing anything myself, unless when I burn something I have to enter everything manually....past that, never really a high priority. Anyways, figured I'd go see..seems I have 29 genres ranging from Alternative to Thrash Metal Thrash Metal. :loco:

Most seem to make sense....surf rock, swing, interview and many of the standards from Classical to Metal...though some, as stated above, are a bit redundant....Metal and Heavy Metal...?????

Don't think I would add anything....but certainly could do some organizing and deletion of a few genres if I had the time or inclination as I mostly search by artist.

Now album covers....there's one of those half completed projects I gave up on....yet would still love to have done. Waiting for the one click does them all button.

I've always gotten a kick out of Post-Metal or Post-Hardcore. What, did those genres die out in a nuclear assault?