MODERN metal, for every genre

hey, winter, aintcha supposed to wear a low cut top for absurd angle photos like that?

You wish mate! ;)

Hey, a Perth chick! Always good to find another metalhead in this sadly conservative town

Hi there :)
Yes it is rather conservative isn't it. As much as I love living here the music scene is nothing like my Bonny Scotland :(

List party?

I added "Grindcore."

Black metal: Nachtmystium- Instinct: Decay. Or Summoning- Oath Bound. Or DsO- Manifestations 2002.
Death metal: Skinless- Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead
Doom metal: Swallow the Sun- Ghosts of Loss (Reverend Bizarre's II: Crush the Insects is a 2005 release...)
Gothic metal: Paradise Lost- In Requiem, unless you consider that doom, in which case Katatonia- The Great Cold Distance
Industrial metal: I dunno what you mean here, precisely. If we're talking "industrial" in the pop-ish, commonly understood sense, I actually liked Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero; if this is another weird term for "math metal" or whatever, then I guess I nominate Meshuggah's ObZen.
Melodeath metal: Heaven Shall Burn- Iconoclast (they're totally melodeath now)
Metalcore: Despised Icon- The Ills of Modern Man
Power metal: No idea.
Progressive metal: Opeth- Watershed.(I'm a Dream Theater fanboy too, so I'm honor-bound to recommend Systematic Chaos.)
Symphonic metal: No idea.
Thrash metal: No idea.
Grindcore: Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
Other stuff: Ulver- Shadows of the Sun

Alright, I'll give this a go for the genres that I listen to a decent amount of:

Black metal: tough one... between Ne Obliviscaris - The Aurora Veil and Lunar Aurora - Andacht
Death metal: Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites
Doom metal: Warning - Watching from a Distance
Gothic metal: Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Melodeath metal: Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
Progressive metal: Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Symphonic metal: does Aborym - Generator count?
Other-heavy-metal-that-cant-really-be-categorized metal: Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde

Some of the genres like melodeath, thrash and power pretty much has never evolved and there's no such thing as a modern sound for them.......

the music scene is nothing like my Bonny Scotland :(

I'm from Edinburgh and the music scene here is utter shite. It's all "Oh! Check this oober l33t death metal band I found! They're called Korn!" or "Spiral Architect? Are they like Slipknot?" it's horrible.

Where and when in Scotland were you refering to? :rofl:

I'm from Edinburgh and the music scene here is utter shite. It's all "Oh! Check this oober l33t death metal band I found! They're called Korn!" or "Spiral Architect? Are they like Slipknot?" it's horrible.

Where and when in Scotland were you refering to? :rofl:

Scotland has much better access to gigs than Western Australia does. That's what I was referring to.

And I'm Glesga born and bred love! ;)