Soo...a genre question

"Agreed - and that, in a nutshell is why underground or relatively underground/poorly paid bands tend to produce the best music - because they are fuelled by inspiration and music for musics sake, and not as a means to put food on the table or coke on the mirror"

True to a certain extent. You have to remember sometimes people in the underground are idiots when it comes to playing an instrument. I've heard some horrifyingly terrible underground bands. Sometimes no on gives a shit about a band because they actually do suck. I rarely hear a band that I wonder why more people do not like that are obscure. That does happen though.

Majority of mainstream bands to a certain degree have more talent than a lot of people in the underground even if those mainstream musicians are not virtuosos. Even radio artists actually know guitar chords,etc... having a degree of talent where someone in the underground might just be an idiot.

The Greys said:
"Agreed - and that, in a nutshell is why underground or relatively underground/poorly paid bands tend to produce the best music - because they are fuelled by inspiration and music for musics sake, and not as a means to put food on the table or coke on the mirror"

True to a certain extent. You have to remember sometimes people in the underground are idiots when it comes to playing an instrument. I've heard some horrifyingly terrible underground bands. Sometimes no on gives a shit about a band because they actually do suck. I rarely hear a band that I wonder why more people do not like that are obscure. That does happen though.

Majority of mainstream bands to a certain degree have more talent than a lot of people in the underground even if those mainstream musicians are not virtuosos. Even radio artists actually know guitar chords,etc... having a degree of talent where someone in the underground might just be an idiot.

1) Agreed, although I did say "tend".

2) Probably, but being a guitar "hero" doesn't always mean you will compose interesting music. I'd take the riffs from "Morbid Tales" over anything found on an Opeth album, any day of the week.

Erik said:
enjoy your random ad hominem attacks to feel all fuzzy inside for holding a fucking retarded and hopelessly poorly argued position?

Oh that's right, it's not what Erik thinks, so it isn't relevant or correct. Sorry, I'll try to remember your opinion is the way we should all be thinking. How stupid of me.

( [insert your word] help us all...)

Carcassian said:
Hmmm...except that (maybe in my experience), once ANYTHING becomes your day job, it becomes your day job. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job and write reviews on the side, but if I actually had to write enough reviews to actually put food on my table? That would fucking suck. I sometimes wonder if this is the reason why (generally) once a band makes it "big" enough to retire from the real working world (i.e. the music world becomes their primary source of income) that they start to make bland, bored sounding music...

Just a thought. Of course, I'd love for a lot of people I have a ton of respect for to be able to earn a decent living from recording music I love, but I suspect that just isn't ever going to happen...

I'm sure this is indeed true to an extent but there's plenty of bands just doing their thing and releasing albums every couple years, touring on them, and doing quite well for themselves. My statement was simply given the choice between the two options, there's not one band that would choose not to make a living from their music if it were possible, whether they deny that or not. Whether they made it, could actually do it, etc. wasn't what I was going after.

Erik said:
GREAT post that absolutely NAILS it

i mean it's theoretically possible for a band to live off their music and still be honest in their art, but in real life it just ain't happening in 95% of the cases because true art & inspiration are such fickle things

having pressure from record company (release album every year, it's in the contract = being FORCED to write music even when there's no inspiration or any things to communicate) & fans (must make a record the fans like & will buy -- else no food on table) = shit music

I don't know any bands these days that are being forced to release albums every single year, 10-15 years ago maybe (unless you're on a major label). Maybe one every couple years is pretty much the norm now for the traditional metal scene, sometimes more.

You guys realize that the best-most classic hard rock/metal bands of all times had their music as "day job", and made big money eh? And that did not happen after they were "sold out" (if they trully ever were). That's the fact, the theory is that if you make music for a living, your artistic integrity is lost. Which i fail to understand, because of the many examples of what i said before, that prove otherwise. Generalization is a bad thing
And this
underground or relatively underground/poorly paid bands tend to produce the best music
is less than half true.
Also the "be true to your art" thing that Erik said is incredibly subjective, and only for the artist to know, not a random music fan to guess.

ender7227 said:
you have no fucking right to tell anyone thier tastes are shit
music is subjective
YOUR A MOE-RON
(obviuosly something about you really pisses me off -- i have called you a moe-ron 3 times in 20 mins -- but that's cool -- i disagree with what you are saying but i wont tell you not to say it -- just prepare to be called a moe-ron)
Yes i do I listen to real metal not Mr. Biker Wanabee dude aka Ozzy's bitch.

KMADD said:
Yes i do I listen to real metal not Mr. Biker Wanabee dude aka Ozzy's bitch.

your definition of "real metal" is different from everyone elses, everyone's views on art are different. you should get your mouth sewn shut so as not to distract us from people who know what art really is and that noone has the cause to call another person's tastes shit. you have a right to express your opinions but not to waste your own and everyone else's time by being a dick the size of manhattan.if your tastes do not include black label, cool. ok. if you think he is a poser, alright. but dont waste this forum's server spacebby saying this. if you're gonna argue then argue. one sentance is not an arguement it is playground "is not is to" shit. graduate middle school and come back and argue with me

Because i dont have to have a paragraph to get my point across this site is
called ultimatemetal.com not fashioncorescenesternerds.net or overated
horriblemetal.com. And it's spelled sentence you phlambastic piece of
whale shit.

KMADD said:
Because i dont have to have a paragraph to get my point across this site is
called ultimatemetal.com not fashioncorescenesternerds.net or overated
horriblemetal.com. And it's spelled sentence you phlambastic piece of
whale shit.
an insult is not an argument no matter how original it is and i dont give a damn how i spell "sentence" my spelling isnt integral to my arguments and only people who don't have anything to come back with criticize spelling see my posts where i do that and you will see you are doing the same thing because you know you have lost:cool:

ender7227 said:
an insult is not an argument no matter how original it is and i dont give a damn how i spell "sentence" my spelling isnt integral to my arguments and only people who don't have anything to come back with criticize spelling see my posts where i do that and you will see you are doing the same thing because you know you have lost:cool:

I wasn't in an argument with you. That being said, could you please try and learn the rudiments of grammar? It's always a little like reading a pissed-up James Joyce, viewing your posts. Try to experiment with the FULL STOP or PERIOD.