How far does your taste branch out within the realms of metal?

I didn't like what I heard of Axiom but Warring Factions has grown to be one of my favorite albums in a long time. Win!

I like Metalcore a lot cuz they take the best parts of Melodeath and use breakdowns...Although they're are thousands of these bands that suck, one of the best bands that do this well - AUSTRIAN DEATH MACHINE!

I like modern stuff the most really. Not like metalcore/deathcore but I prefer all the recent atmospheric black metal, the new wave of old school death, and all the doom bands mixing in black or ambient elements more than most classics. Some of the older stuff is downright amazing of course, but the classics I love are a bit outnumbered by all the modern bands I love.

I never got into most of the older bands. Partly, this could be because I had no exposure to metal before the early 2000s. However, I think it's mostly a style preference, because more recent "old school" style bands don't appeal to me either.

I like melodic black and death metal, tech death, progressive metal, symphonic metal, folkish metal and extreme power metal. Basically, the more genres being fused and instruments being played at the same time, the more I like it :lol:

This is an excerpt from the introductory piece that I wrote for The Heretic's Torch that is relevant to how I view metal, not that it's much of a mystery. Don't like it? Tough shit. Think the concepts discussed sound silly? Good for you.

Our views on heavy metal are ones that we hold to be in concert with the essence of the precepts of the genre itself. We tend to find a parallel between that which strays from the path and that which is deficient, so we need not worry ourselves about fringes but for the rare exception. Heavy metal is, at its core, in nature a fickle beast. Though the genre has gradually been stretched so that both Black Sabbath and Averse Sefira may fall under the same blanket, it is not a form that is infinitely flexible and shows obvious signs of strain when boundaries have been breached. We respect the bands that pay homage to the roots of heavy metal while also embracing a forward thinking artistic mindset, taking what is and adding to it, rather than shattering the genre’s conventions and constructing a facade in its stead. The content of this magazine thus observes, critiques, and analyses from this perspective, as it is the perspective that we believe to be most accurate and respectful to the tenets of this form of expression.

I can enjoy pretty much any genre of metal if I go looking... I dont normally go out of my way to listen to traditional heavy metal (unless it has that doom sound) power, thrash, or sludge, though...

I could have said everything Dodens needed a paragraph to say in about two sentences and other people would have read it.

I can't think of a subgenre of metal I don't like anything from (with the possible exception being psychedelic stuff, but that doesn't even really qualify). My core taste seems to be stuff mixing an epic feel with ass-kicking, which includes Euro PM, old school/US PM, melodic death and black metal, and some other stuff. But that's not really a rule or anything.

Simply put, if the music sounds bland or is poorly executed I don't listen to it. Also, I hate whining. I don't go out of my way to avoid any specific genres.

I tend to enjoy anything in metal that is the right mix of melodic, dark and earthy. I'm not a big fan of power, speed, heavy, *core, industrial, etc as they tend to, in one way or another, turn me off. Death, Progressive, and Thrash are hit or miss.

The intersection (if it exists) between Black, Doom, Folk & Post metal is where I tend to gravitate towards. I'll give anything a chance, but most bands I really enjoy incorporate something common to these genres. As far as how far I specifically extend my boundaries of metal? I can't say I really do. Or if I do it's hard to put a finger on where it stops being "metal" and start being something else entirely.