The great innovators of Metal

My name is Kristina. I live right outside of Tampa, Florida. I'm not sure what else you expect me to say about myself if you think I'm someone else.

I don't know that much about computers or IP addresses but I'm using Roadrunner internet through Brighthouse Networks. It's a really big company in Florida that almost everyone uses.

I'll be more than happy to talk to anyone who wants to know more about me if you think it's that important. Send me a private message if you want.

Whatever Omni 2.0. It's pretty obvious when someone who posted here makes a new account or does because they care so much what people think. A person who posted 2,3 years ago could sign up right now and would know who they were.

My name is Kristina. I live right outside of Tampa, Florida. I'm not sure what else you expect me to say about myself if you think I'm someone else.

I don't know that much about computers or IP addresses but I'm using Roadrunner internet through Brighthouse Networks. It's a really big company in Florida that almost everyone uses.

I'll be more than happy to talk to anyone who wants to know more about me if you think it's that important. Send me a private message if you want.

I'd better take your word for it. If you really are Jenn/Omni, you're too out of your mind to be worth bothering over. :lol:

Anyway, sorry for giving you a hard time. In case you're wondering what the hell is going on, Jenn was a rather trollish member we had here up until July or so who was rumored to be making a return here soon, and creating a sock puppet account to fuck with us all would have been completely in character for her. Unfortunately for you, you've come across as uncannily similar to her, haha.

Faith No More were the first rock band that rap and its without a rapper.
I know Aerosmith did the rap-rock thing with Run-Dmc and Beastie Boys had some songs that were rap-rock but Faith made it even popular and lead the influence to other bands like Ratm and then the crap nu metal bands.

I put down all three because I'm lazy. I can see whose debut was released first, if you'd like.

I'd say funeral doom is musically darker than death/doom and traditional doom, with the same emphasis on slow tempos but taken to a further degree, kind of like how technical death metal is just more technical than traditional death metal, though traditional death metal is still technical. Also, guttural vocals. Bass heavy.

Well the Aerosmith song came first and then Beastie then released License to Ill which featured you gotta fight for your right to party their most popular song a rap rock song and 3 years later Faith No More released The Real Thing which featured Epic their signature song influence many bands including all of the Korn jump da fuck up bands.

Helloween
* Formulated the standard sound for European power metal. (Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1, 1987)

How does that look?

Yeah, Stratovarius seem distinctive in some way, but they seem like more a refinement of power metal than an innovation of it.

Elegant and succinct; well done. As for Stratovarius, their major contribution to the genre was the liberal use of keyboards, which are now a Euro-power-metal must (Nightwish, Alestorm, DragonForce, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, countless others). But that may not be enough to merit their own entry.

A quick note on the nu-metal entries... I thought it was generally believed that the Anthrax/Public Enemy collab on "Bring the Noise" was the first rap-metal song? Anthrax may merit an entry purely for that one song.

Elegant and succinct; well done. As for Stratovarius, their major contribution to the genre was the liberal use of keyboards, which are now a Euro-power-metal must (Nightwish, Alestorm, DragonForce, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, countless others). But that may not be enough to merit their own entry.

A quick note on the nu-metal entries... I thought it was generally believed that the Anthrax/Public Enemy collab on "Bring the Noise" was the first rap-metal song? Anthrax may merit an entry purely for that one song.

The Anthrax/Public Enemy song was also a big influence on nu-metal but the other songs came first before this song.I also think Ratm had a big influence on nu-metal.

Venom
* The first extreme metal band, utilizing a combination of grating, heavily distorted guitar tone, rapid tempos and growling vocals. (Welcome to Hell, 1981)

Yea/nay?

Looks good to me.

I don't know shit about Dream Death, or death/doom for that matter, so you'll have to explain what changes you think need to be made to the list.

I just don't think that they should be contenders. It may have been a step towards doom/death, but definitely isn't near the Winter/early My Dying Bride/etc sound.

"Sincere and introspective" may be bad wording, but I still see Metallica as introducing a huge attitude shift in metal. Maybe something along these lines:

Metallica
* Broke the mold of fantasy and glam attitudes in metal by introducing a grittier, more emotional vocal style to metal.

would be more appropriate? I mean, I don't know of any pre-Hetfield metal vocalists who sound genuinely angry/upset/agonized/etc. in their singing.

Eh, Victim of Changes? Not saying that Metallica should be taken off the list, but that one point wasn't really their innovation, if it can be called one at all. I've never thought of Hetfield as an especially emotional singer anyways.

I put down all three because I'm lazy. I can see whose debut was released first, if you'd like.

I'd say funeral doom is musically darker than death/doom and traditional doom, with the same emphasis on slow tempos but taken to a further degree, kind of like how technical death metal is just more technical than traditional death metal, though traditional death metal is still technical. Also, guttural vocals. Bass heavy.

Okay, but how is any of that innovative? There were already slow tempos, guttural vocals and bass-heaviness in somewhere in metal before funeral doom came along.

I don't even see why death/doom is on there, since the idea of playing doom metal with death grunts is really not that groundbreaking. Seems like the kind of thing any number of people could have come up with.

Faith No More were the first rock band that rap and its without a rapper.
I know Aerosmith did the rap-rock thing with Run-Dmc and Beastie Boys had some songs that were rap-rock but Faith made it even popular and lead the influence to other bands like Ratm and then the crap nu metal bands.

Well the Aerosmith song came first and then Beastie then released License to Ill which featured you gotta fight for your right to party their most popular song a rap rock song and 3 years later Faith No More released The Real Thing which featured Epic their signature song influence many bands including all of the Korn jump da fuck up bands.

The Anthrax/Public Enemy song was also a big influence on nu-metal but the other songs came first before this song.I also think Ratm had a big influence on nu-metal.

Aerosmith isn't really metal, and I don't know if FNM is but since Randy is calling them rock maybe we should just go ahead and give Anthrax the "first in rap metal" title. We can list Aerosmith and Faith No More in the non-metal influences list... maybe.

Oh, and since I expect somebody's going to bitch at me for endorsing rap metal as an innovation but not death-doom, let me attempt to justify that: Rap metal is a fusion of non-metal musical elements into metal, and as such it creates a much more unique metal subgenre with a distinctive structure. Death/doom and funeral doom, on the other hand, are simply recombinations of pre-existing elements of metal, and are too much a blurring of borders between subgenres to be considered an independent one on their own. It's kind of analogous to creating a new soft drink from scratch versus pouring two types of soft drink into one glass and calling it a new drink.

Yeah... I'm still not sure what to think of that. It does seem like a pretty major shift from Helloween as it gives power metal a far more "classical" flavor, but that may or may not be enough to go on.

I just don't think that they should be contenders. It may have been a step towards doom/death, but definitely isn't near the Winter/early My Dying Bride/etc sound.

Okay, but again I'm not sure this kind of stuff is even worth putting on the list. See my above argument/s. I'd really like to just do away with all the doom sub-subgenre bullshit unless someone can give me a nice, convincing argument to the contrary.

Eh, Victim of Changes? Not saying that Metallica should be taken off the list, but that one point wasn't really their innovation, if it can be called one at all. I've never thought of Hetfield as an especially emotional singer anyways.

Alright, I'll take the point off the list. I still think the attitude shift brought on by Metallica is noteworthy, but I guess that just collapses into the "created the first thrash metal" point anyway.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and add Helloween and Venom to the list now, as well as editing the Metallica entry.

Watchtower should earn a spot here. They certainly weren't the first to take technicality to a different level, you had bands like Queensrÿche that did similar things, but the sound of Watchtower I think had a lot of influence on later more technical extreme metal like Atheist.

I just realized that Skyclad isn't on the list. Innovators of folk metal.

EDIT: I see that Bathory has been awarded the title of folk metal innovators. Skyclad definitely deserves mentioning because they approached the genre from a different direction; much more traditional folk-oriented arrangements ("The Widdershins Jig") and use of more folk instruments. Also, whereas Bathory was derived from black metal, Skyclad definitely was not.