A few thoughts on the evolution of metal.

Well yeah, Fas is actually death metal for the most part, it still does retain a very black metal feeling a lot of the time. It basically sounds like Gorguts playing in a black metal-leaning style with less focus on bassy rhythmic shifts and more on creepy atmosphere.

Fas is a perfect example of post-black metal, which is a legitimate genre. Calling it death metal just because of its complex rhythms and technical guitar parts is bad genre tagging. To me death metal involves a certain type of brutality that is featured within the music and Deathspell Omega does NOT have that.

I think there are a bunch of things that make up each sub-genre, and no 1 thing can determine what genre a band falls under. Technicality might be a death metal trait, but I don't think that means that it automatically makes something death, but it certainly makes it lean in that direction more. I haven't heard the bands in question but if they sound like black metal in all other areas, I don't think technicality alone should be enough to change the genre.

Personally I think metal may have stretched out it's use of the guitar, but there are definitely heavier sounds to go after. I don't get why metal is still using instruments originally designed for rock music. We need some instrument builders to experiment with creating new instruments that make heavier and more brutal sounds. Hell even some non-metal genres have some pretty heavy things in them, like the big brass sound jazz and classical music sometimes has, that stuff can be powerful/heavy as hell, and could definitely be taken even further in the right hands.

I can't see any instrument, today or tomorrow, usurping the guitar/bass duo as music's heaviest sound that still retains any dynamic.

To me death metal involves a certain type of brutality that is featured within the music and Deathspell Omega does NOT have that.

Most death metal isn't focused on brutality at all. The focus is technicality and writing complex guitar melody/harmony and drum sequences.

However, I do agree that DsO is more black metal than death metal. Black Metal can be just as, if not more brutal than most death metal out there, and DsO achieves this while retaining the basic aesthetics of black metal, namely the evil atmosphere, melodies, tremolo riffs and growled vocals.

I can't see any instrument, today or tomorrow, usurping the guitar/bass duo as music's heaviest sound that still retains any dynamic.

Even if such an instrument exists it could never supplant the guitar, which is totally entrenched in every sense of the word aside from actually being in a ditch.

The only instrument that comes close to achieving such heaviness/intensity, while still being vastly dynamic in pitch and volume, is the pipe organ. But even with that, it lacks that "edge" and punch provided by guitar distortion and drum hits.

I have been interested in how Moog keyboards can reach super low sub-sonic sounds. I would love to see how it could be mixed into metal. The only bands I know that are using them is Genghis Tron and Sunn 0))).

The only instrument that comes close to achieving such heaviness/intensity, while still being vastly dynamic in pitch and volume, is the pipe organ. But even with that, it lacks that "edge" and punch provided by guitar distortion and drum hits.

I think plenty of instruments can get a good sound with some distortion and stuff. I mean apocalyptica does a great job with metal using Cellos, and someone tried to play death metal with Cellos I think it would work out just as well.

However it's not so much that I think any current instruments are suitable replacements, but I think that if someone built a new instrument specifically designed for heavy brutal music they might be able to come up with something pretty kickass.

And as for drums, obviously there's gonna be percussion, but as far as I know metal uses the same drums any rock band would use, the only thing that makes them sound heavier is speed, volume, and blast beats. Maybe I'm wrong and the bass drum is the pinnacle of heaviness you can get out of a drum, but if not, why the hell are metal bands still using the same drums as everyone else?

I think plenty of instruments can get a good sound with some distortion and stuff. I mean apocalyptica does a great job with metal using Cellos, and someone tried to play death metal with Cellos I think it would work out just as well.
True...but the cello is very similar to the guitar...

But dynamic is key.
Moogs can be pretty dynamic, tbh.
It's ill when a band uses both guitars and a synth...

Like I said, warr guitars and chapman sticks. Metal bands can't resist the lure of 2 handed attacks for long! I believe behold the arctopus already use them. So does king crimson. Seriously, look it up.

As for the drums, I can't immagine how you could make them heavier. If drummers accepted triggers as not being poserly, then perhaps we could do something heavy with the other foot...

Maybe we could have amplified hand drums. the variation of attacks and stuff you get out of hand drums could be useful for heaviness.

Vocal effects might still catch on. But nothing that can disguise bad vocals, maybe I could see an aresenal of pedals that the singer uses in different places.

Or, I like this even better, is the use of multiple growls at the same time. It could be devestating to have growled chords flying at you.

Your propositions are contrary to the humanist paradigm. Many people prefer music that is made by human skill, and not awash in synthetic elements.

DEVOUAMENT IS DA ULTIMATE IN BR00TALITY. THEY GOT DA ULTRA LOW CHUGZ N BURPED VOX. IT'S SO BR00TAL I ALMOST KIKED MY MOM IN DA FACE.

I BLAST DEVOUAMENT WHEN I'M REPPIN IN DA HOOD FLASHIN GANG SIGNS.

^ You sir, are the monarch of all homosexual bum snackers.

Anywho, Drum machines suck, overused synthesizers suck and protools is for pussies.

Well yeah, Fas is actually death metal for the most part, it still does retain a very black metal feeling a lot of the time. It basically sounds like Gorguts playing in a black metal-leaning style with less focus on bassy rhythmic shifts and more on creepy atmosphere.

Ah, ok. That's where I disagree. I think simplicity is not a defining element of black metal. The guitar playing technique on FAS is purely black metal (tremolo picked chords, no palm muting, etc.) as are the riffs. It's just difficult to create technical music within the confines of black metal, since technicality lends itself much better to death metal. I imagine attempts at technical black metal would often just sound sloppy.