A few thoughts on the evolution of metal.

Now, I do not understand "technical X metal" being a genre. DOesn't that just mean it is X genre, but hard to play? In which case, it would belong in X genre. I think math metal is a more legitimate genre then any technical genres.

Think, what genre is meshuggah in? Not death metal, not black metal, not grindcore, doom metal, or whatever. What about dillinger escape plan? Not in any conventional genres either (maybe hardcore at a stretch). Fredrick thorenedals special defects? We could just classify them all as avant garde, I guess.

You don't understand the term. Technical death metal is death metal with a more sophisticated and involved playing style usually revolving around complex structures and time signatures though usually with a competent sense of melody and balance to the compositions as well. It doesn't just mean "it's hard to play." Only death metal is really classified as technical, and since all death metal is inherently relatively technical, it is reserved for bands who are more or less histrionic about their complexity.

Black metal can't be technical; if there is black metal sounding music which is more technical and has lots of shifts in sound/time signature, etc. it essentially becomes death metal just by virtue of black metal being more minimalistic. Drottnar - Welterwerk is a great example of this. "Technical 'black' metal", but it's not really. It's tech death with some black metal influences/sections (long segments of tremolo riffs, higher pitched vocals [a non-issue essentially, though] etc).

Meshuggah are categorized as post-thrash metal, which is a strange genre reserved for bands who take the riff 'n' rhythm based sound of thrash metal and distend it until it doesn't really resemble thrash at all in any literal sense, but rather sounds like a more "intellectual" (meh) and complex form of the 80's classic genre. It's actually kind of underpopulated but a few more bands utilize Meshuggah-like stylings. Bands similar to Meshuggah include Tool, Textures, Gojira sometimes...but none of those are really considered post-thrash, so it is pretty complicated, I admit. Meshuggah fits into "progressive metal" to some extent, though.

DEP are technical hardcore. No ifs, ands or buts.

Black metal can be somewhat technical, but it's not that common. The last two Deathspell Omaga full lengths are very technical in terms of black metal. Other bands, such as Hegemon, can get somewhat technical at times as well.

Sounds like you pulled that out of your ass. There's no reason to call what you described anything other than Scandinavian folk metal. 'Viking metal' (insofar as the term is useful at all) refers to lyrical content, but viking metal is not a genre.

It was named due to the lyrical content, but a band is not defined as viking metal due to the lyrical content.

Sounds like you pulled that out of your ass. There's no reason to call what you described anything other than Scandinavian folk metal. 'Viking metal' (insofar as the term is useful at all) refers to lyrical content, but viking metal is not a genre.

Then what would you consider a band like Manegarm(the latter albums not the black/viking ones)? I consider their sound the stereotype of the viking/folk sound and if there isn't a sub-genre, then what is it?

Black metal can be somewhat technical, but it's not that common. The last two Deathspell Omaga full lengths are very technical in terms of black metal. Other bands, such as Hegemon, can get somewhat technical at times as well.

Well yeah, Fas is actually death metal for the most part, it still does retain a very black metal feeling a lot of the time. It basically sounds like Gorguts playing in a black metal-leaning style with less focus on bassy rhythmic shifts and more on creepy atmosphere.

It was named due to the lyrical content, but a band is not defined as viking metal due to the lyrical content.

You're talking out of your ass. When did you invent this rule, yesterday?

Personally I think metal may have stretched out it's use of the guitar, but there are definitely heavier sounds to go after. I don't get why metal is still using instruments originally designed for rock music. We need some instrument builders to experiment with creating new instruments that make heavier and more brutal sounds. Hell even some non-metal genres have some pretty heavy things in them, like the big brass sound jazz and classical music sometimes has, that stuff can be powerful/heavy as hell, and could definitely be taken even further in the right hands.

Personally I think metal may have stretched out it's use of the guitar, but there are definitely heavier sounds to go after. I don't get why metal is still using instruments originally designed for rock music. We need some instrument builders to experiment with creating new instruments that make heavier and more brutal sounds. Hell even some non-metal genres have some pretty heavy things in them, like the big brass sound jazz and classical music sometimes has, that stuff can be powerful/heavy as hell, and could definitely be taken even further in the right hands.

i think the guitar will survive and i doubt any new wave of metal will involve tubas.

You're talking out of your ass. When did you invent this rule, yesterday?

I hadn't invented it, a few people I know had decided, a while back, to look further into the commonalities between bands called Viking metal (not bands like Amon Amarth) and that was what they had all found to be the case.

I hadn't invented it, a few people I know had decided, a while back, to look further into the commonalities between bands called Viking metal (not bands like Amon Amarth) and that was what they had all found to be the case.

To quote Ozzman (sorry dude):

"Yeah I have a source, my friend in high school wrote a paper"

:rolleyes:

Stop inventing genres and pretending they have credibility, plz.

You don't understand the term. Technical death metal is death metal with a more sophisticated and involved playing style usually revolving around complex structures and time signatures though usually with a competent sense of melody and balance to the compositions as well. It doesn't just mean "it's hard to play." Only death metal is really classified as technical, and since all death metal is inherently relatively technical, it is reserved for bands who are more or less histrionic about their complexity.

Black metal can't be technical; if there is black metal sounding music which is more technical and has lots of shifts in sound/time signature, etc. it essentially becomes death metal just by virtue of black metal being more minimalistic. Drottnar - Welterwerk is a great example of this. "Technical 'black' metal", but it's not really. It's tech death with some black metal influences/sections (long segments of tremolo riffs, higher pitched vocals [a non-issue essentially, though] etc).

Meshuggah are categorized as post-thrash metal, which is a strange genre reserved for bands who take the riff 'n' rhythm based sound of thrash metal and distend it until it doesn't really resemble thrash at all in any literal sense, but rather sounds like a more "intellectual" (meh) and complex form of the 80's classic genre. It's actually kind of underpopulated but a few more bands utilize Meshuggah-like stylings. Bands similar to Meshuggah include Tool, Textures, Gojira sometimes...but none of those are really considered post-thrash, so it is pretty complicated, I admit. Meshuggah fits into "progressive metal" to some extent, though.

DEP are technical hardcore. No ifs, ands or buts.

Ok, I have to admit, you pwned me. I've never even heard the term post-thrash, but it does fit earlier meshuggah very well. Catch 33, now that is just plain out there. But, I get your point. Math metal, I've found out, isn't classified on wikipedia as a legitimate genre, but math rock and mathcore are. However, most bands I thought of as math metal are indeed math-core, so with mathcore taking away all those bands, I think that it might be okay to say that math metal isn't really a genre per se, but that does not invalidate my earlier point. If I say "math metal" is catching on, I mean that to describe the bands, not to catagorize them. If enough bands follow the footsteps of meshuggah, then we will have to recognize the genre eventually...

To quote Ozzman (sorry dude):

"Yeah I have a source, my friend in high school wrote a paper"

:rolleyes:

Stop inventing genres and pretending they have credibility, plz.

Stop being an idiot about this - do what they did and you'll find the same. If it helps any one of them is a music journalist for that site that Lord K of TPH runs >_>

Guitar isn't going anywhere, but maybe the bass might switch to the chapman stick/warr guitar. 2 hands = more noise.

omfukingod4wx.png

Hell yeah baby!