For those of you were into (real) metal back in the 90's...

If this was the case with me, then the only good bands I would be listening to are a few local bands. Other than that I would listen to BFMV and Atreyu. Trust me.

metal forums:worship: :worship: :worship:

I wouldnt be the same person without them.

pretty sure he means before the days of forums, but whatever

Well, the metal scene in Oslo/Bergen/etc was pretty small and close when I got into metal, in the late eighties/early nineties, so I heard about all my favourites through word of mouth.

Also, the live shows were so freakishly cheap back then... I've paid like $5 to see what I would have to pay $25 to see now... :erk: It was often free, even, at the very beginning!

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I cant believe it took 2 pages of stories until someone (namely, Carcassian) mentioned liner notes! They were very important influences to me also. Carcassian, you had similar experiences to me, Black Metal left me cold back in the day. It drove me insane with its "anti-mosh" attitude and i actually felt like they were doing a misdeed to the metal community.

Metal was really losing ground in the 90's (as far as popularity and accessibility) and the atmosphere was more rabid. Yesterdays thrash heroes were wimping out, the live venues were closing down and so were the record stores. Death metal was raging but hit a stagnate period sometime around the mid 90's, Black Metal began taking over everyones minds around then. However, by 2000 Black Metal had replaced Death Metal as the new trend and became a pardoy of its former self.

I was active in my local scene all throughout the 90's and there was lots of tape trading going on. Magazines were great - Metallion's Slayer was reverred by all. Plus there was plenty of other mags that catered for more extreme tastes floating about over the years - Terrorizer was also held in high regard. By the late 90's buying an album was risky business but I was still taking the odd chance, I recall that's how I came across Keep of Kalessin's debut...

I started listening to Metal at a young age, I wasnt really exposed to any other forms of music as my dad was really big on his 80's metal. I used to like Sabbath but as usual being seen as the unpopular kid I got alot of shit for it. It pisses me off now seeing those same kids wear retarded baggy pants and metalcore hoddies claiming to be metalheads.
My dad told me that in the 90's after metal was pushed out of the mainstream he found it hard to get tapes so he apparently used to trade with various friends etc. I know that one time he went to America and brought aload of cd's back and then sold them for a higher price :lol:

I cant believe it took 2 pages of stories until someone (namely, Carcassian) mentioned liner notes! They were very important influences to me also. Carcassian, you had similar experiences to me, Black Metal left me cold back in the day. It drove me insane with its "anti-mosh" attitude and i actually felt like they were doing a misdeed to the metal community.

Haha, it's funny, 'cause many of us black metal guys were just fuming when we saw you moshing people at thrash and death shows, looking like monkeys in the pit! :lol:

Haha, it's funny, 'cause many of us black metal guys were just fuming when we saw you moshing people at thrash and death shows, looking like monkeys in the pit! :lol:
Well, before the advent of Black Metal, metal music generally made people want to bang their heads and even jump around. Getting crazy is fun, metal was fun. Metal provoked that kind of reaction in people, it was aggressive and exciting, obviously others wished to change this..

Well, before the advent of Black Metal, metal music generally made people want to bang their heads and even jump around. Getting crazy is fun, metal was fun. Metal provoked that kind of reaction in people, it was aggressive and exciting, obviously others wished to change this..

Yes getting crazy is fun... BUT I also love the atmosphere that black metal conveys which no other style of metal has thus far been able to produce. So why not enjoy both "fun" metal and "serious" metal?

Oh please... There's a HUGE difference between banging your head, which every self-respecting metal head does, black metal fan or not, and "moshing"...

I concur Thoth, I enjoy both the "serious" and the "fun" styles of metal
these days.

After being a long time Venom, Bathory, Sodom etc maniac I eventually
warmed to the sound of BM. However I never understood the "anti-mosh"
attitude of BM - hey, I'm just telling it how it was when I first
encountered the "anti-mosh" school of thought.

Moshing came from the hardcore scene as did alot of other influence in
many a thrash and even BM band. Fair enough, not everyone wants to mosh,
I'm not particularly interested in it myself anymore but its all part of
the adrenaline that is a metal concert - people flying through the air,
hair all over the place - it was dangerous fun for the young and whats
the point of youth if you dont go wild? You only get older, get more
responsibility and more problems in general.

What metal really needs is for someone to take an "anti-metalcore" or
"anti-horns abuse" stance. Besides all that, monkeys are cool and have
always been cool! Hail to the Chimp!

I got into metal in 1983 (im 34) with Def Leppard's Pyromania then progressed from there with Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue then went through my classic metal phase (Maiden, Priest, Sabbath) then went through my Thrash phase (Old Metallica, Old megadeth, slayer, sacred reich, nuclear assault, DRI, Testament, exodus etc.) in the mid to late 80's.I got to see some of the thrash bands live in their heyday. I then stopped actively seeking metal albums around 1991 when Metallica came out with Black album and thrash died with them. I did not get back into buying Metal cd's till about 2 or 3 years ago. That's when i discovered bands that i had missed discovering in the 90's such as Bathory (their 80's stuff is what i missed actually),Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Immortal, My Dying Bride etc. Right now I'm not buying too many CD's because trying to keep my costs down (I do have bills to pay) but am making a list of Black Metal and possibly other genres that i want to buy eventually.