Now about those metal vocals...

when you said layers it made me think of mushroomhead. their vocals arent exactly growling and he has some versatility. and then the 2nd vocalist adds some clean on top.

the only problem is there is one spot in one song where he raps that kills the song right then and there. but the vocalist is great and the music is great too. dont let the fact that they are classified as nu metal turn you away. they are actually heavily influenced by black metal (mayhem, burzum, darkthrone, immortal) and meshuggah. they've got some cool rythm and time signature things goin.
~gR~

it's a matter of opinion.I like 90's thrash but it's not what I can listen to all day long.I can't stand more than 30 minutes of Tom Araya but I can take 4 hours of Chuck Billy

Originally posted by chileanmetal
and Mudvayne? a
I think they're a very good band... the bass player is really good for a Nu-metal band :)

Ryknow, I think thats the bassists name isnt any better than any other nu-metal bassist. Yes he is playing jazz-stlyed bass, but hes just playing pretty basic stuff and playing it over and over

Anybody know where I can hear at least a one minute sample of Ritual Carnage, Festering Sore, Imagika, Sithlord, or Hatework? Or at least get more info on them?

My guitarist is a big Mushroomhead fan. I tried, but just couldn't get into them. Iced Earth is pretty cool American version of the NWOBHM thing. I have a few of their albums. Mudvayne is just to repetitive for me. A good basic idea, but they need to expand on it a little. Maybe dropping the silly make up would help. :D

As far as Power Metal having superiour vocals...I find most of the current power metal to be flat and boring. Everything is just too perfect and clean. I want it to be just a little ugly at least.

I think it is cool when you use different styles on different songs. Growl on some songs, sing on some on songs, and sound angry on others. If you can't do any of it just growl, trying to sing would suck.

Originally posted by Derrick Filth
Power metal vocals are far superior to all other vocals

yea that is a total matter of opinion and no more. Before I got into the more extreme metal I thought that too(about powermetal) but once I heard just opeth and DT that started to opem my eyes to what amazing vocalists are out there. That was 10 years ago.... Just listening to powermetal vocals is like being in a corner all by yourself.

oh yea on other thing... anyone remember Sacrilege? I know thier drummer went to In Flames....where did the other members go?

I really liked that band and it sucked they broke up.

-sat

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
check out holochaust i think that's what you're looking for

Yep, they are one of the many older bands that are still doing it great today. I have their past two albums. One was a preview of the studio album they have coming out soon and the other is the MP3.com album they just put out.

Originally posted by satanistical
...once I heard just opeth and DT that started to opem my eyes to what amazing vocalists are out there. That was 10 years ago.... Just listening to powermetal vocals is like being in a corner all by yourself.

Agreed - however, "singers" like Bruce Dickinson and Hansi Kursh are recognized for their vocal abilities and more importantly, their melodies. Hence the definition of "singing" right?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that brutal death vocals are bad - indeed, Nile kicks my ass - and I consider myself to be a fan of power and NWOBHM metal.

I guess my point is, if you can be open minded to all forms of metal, then you are opening yourself up to a venue of really great talent from all categories.

Fans of black and death metal should give bands like Blind Guardian or Angra a try. And fans of Power metal should try Dark Tranquility or Immortal etc.

Right in between though? I would go for Iced Earth ("Dark Saga") and Kreator ("violent Revolution") - as immediate examples. :cool:

Try Pissing Razors - not so much the latest album 'Where We Come From', but definitely 'Fields Of Disbelief' or 'Cast Down The Plague'. Throw Pantera, Metallica, Machine Head, Skinlab and Fear Factory's drummer into a room together and get them to jam, and that's pretty much what Pissing Razors sound like.

I love Pissing Razors! I even like their last one. Hell, at least they didn't wuss out like the new Skinlab and the past two Machine Head albums did. Pissing Razors all the way.!
guzzler.gif

the newer swedish shit is doing the gruff/clean crap all the time. check out older in flames, (before colony), dark tranquillity (new one, or before projector), and first two soilwork albums.

if you want thrash, check out terror 2000. great vox, not too technical, but aggressive and fast and thrashing as all hell.

im going to also recommend destroyer 666. phoenix rising is amazing. great writing, playing, cool vocals. a little more 'extreme' than most thrahs, but he is understandable.

of course the haunted.

dewscented and carnal forge aren't very good i dont think.

get the new kreator

all check out hypnosia extreme hatred. great fuckin thrash with vocals that sound a lot like mille from kreator, of the sadus dude. is pissed off and super aggressive.

if you want mp3 samples of any of these, PM me.