Power Metal

@IoftheStorm:Every band you like is good and every band you don't like is bad and for the others??

I don't like Dream Theater but don't say that they aren't talented....They are gods but i just don't like them....
So don't say that Hammerfall is smurf metal because it's hamerfall that resurrected the european power and heavy metal again. If Hammerfal wasn't there, you wouldn't like your little Blind Guardian...

milas san dekatriaxrono paidaki pou akouei mono ligo power metal kai tou fainetai kai bary. sobarepsou aderfe, ayta sta lew poly filika, mhn pareksygeisai...:) (egw eimai dekaefta parepiptontws...)

speed said:
WHo made the comment that Megadeth was power metal? What is that all about?- they were a thrash band- and just how does one consider them to be a power metal band?
I've never heard anyone call Megadeth a power metal band, but they rely heavily on lead guitar solos, and the singer has a 'higher' voice (compared to the death metal growls at least), which are characteristic of power metal. I wouldn't call them a power metal band though, just an old school metal band that kicks ass.

speed said:
As someone who listened to power metal for about 6 months- I would say you have a very good point- the bands are very talented- but they are cheesy as hell- and in fact are not very inventive musically at all- the same solos, the same choruses- the same slow ballads- agh.

If you want real cheese, check out those 80s hairbands or any nu metal band. As for not being inventive musically, well, many black metal bands just play the same chords over and over again, they can't do solos (and lead guitar is harder than playing chords). Just because they play really fast, doesn't mean it's good playing.

UNDEROATH777 said:
I know what you mean, I HATE the vocals, it sounds like shreiking to me...Im happy that someone started a thread like this, cause Ive been looking for Power Metals guitar work without that gay happy and shreiking noise, yea...the vocalists.

Aren't there high vocals on black metal as well? Those bands shriek in a much more annoying, inaccessible way than the power metal vocalists. Why doesn't anyone complain about that?

speed said:
I suppose i like my music with a little more realism- it should somehow relate to my life- not some story about hobbits or wizards etc.

A lot of 'extreme' bands have really gross lyrics about mutilation and dismemberment - which isn't realistic and doesn't relate to anyone's life unless you're a mass murderer or something. What's wrong with fantasy lyrics anyway? We all need some escapism every now and then. A lot of metal bands get inspiration for their lyrics from mythology anyhow.

Personally I really like power metal, it's one of the better genres of metal. It's good to hear people sing in the higher registers and the guitar work is also excellent.

As for a recommendation of a power metal band, check out a band called Dungeon (their website is www.dungeon.cd and you can hear some sound samples there) They are from Australia and play a blend of power metal and thrash, two of my favourite styles of music. Because they have thrashy influences, they are a lot harder than most power metal bands and might appeal to those who are looking for power metal with a bit more edge to it.

it's hamerfall that resurrected the european power and heavy metal again. If Hammerfal wasn't there, you wouldn't like your little Blind Guardian...
dont talk about things you dont know nothing about, Blind Guardian exist from 1985, their debute album was released in 1987...they played in your (our) country in an almost sold out gig , in 1995 when hammerfall was just a dream of some teenagers...they are still more popular..so first check and then write ....
milas san dekatriaxrono paidaki pou akouei mono ligo power metal kai tou fainetai kai bary. sobarepsou aderfe, ayta sta lew poly filika, mhn pareksygeisai...:) (egw eimai dekaefta parepiptontws...)
e topes ellinika sou apantaw ellinika, an ikseres liga pramata, tha evlepes to avatar mou kai meta den tha leges "akous ligo power metal kai sou peftei kai vary", afou akouw apo eloy kai rush , mexri darkthrone opote ase ta kirigmata, nai oi hammerfall einai gia ton poutso siga ta avga kai ta pasxalia

@iofthestorm : Wraia, oi Blind Guardian yparxoun apo to 1985 kai mhn mou peis oti apo tote paizoun power metal, giati an den apatwmai tote den yphrxe to power metal apo tous Helloween....Kai safws oi hammerfall anesthsan thn skhnh, ayto den to amfisbhtei kanenas.
Epishs, 8ewrw oti kserw polla pragmata gia thn mousikh pou mou aresei, perissotera, apo pollous omoious mou....apla, opws sou eipa den me endiaferei to power metal, kai paliotera pou hmoun kai pio dogmatikos elega oti to power metal einai gia omofylofilous...
den kserw, sou peftoun mhpws oi darkthrone barioi...?
Pantws, an den yphrxan oi hammerfall, den 8a yphrxan polla alla nea sxhmata, pou twra akous kai sou aresoun. Eipa tous Blind Guardian sthn tyxh, kai den kserw thn istoria tous, eipa parei 2 cdia tous kai ta antallaksa amesws.tespa, pali kala pou den eisai kanenas ksenos, kai eisai patrida....

pantws, ksanalew oti yperisxyei h gnwmh sou, giati eimai ligo ektos pragmatwn sthn skhnh ayth, alla mou thn espase o tropos pou les thn gnwmh sou.....den eisai mono esy aytos pou akous kai ksereis, kai den akolou8oun ola thn dikia sou gnwmh, epeidh sou aresei einai kalo kai epeidh den sou aresei den einai kako.Den lew, oloi peftoume se ayth thn pagida kai egw mazi, alla prospa8hse na to metriaseis ligo.

ta leme file.

e to provlima sou einai oti nomizeis oti power metal = helloween, enw iparxoun kai alla euro power groups, pou profanws ta agnoeis...
epishs to "an den ipirxan oi hammerfall den tha ipirxan alla groups pou akous kai sou aresoun" einai tromaxtika akiro, afou den exeis idea ti akouw, an thes na pareis mia idea des tin proigoumeni selida tou en logw topic..to mono pou ekanan oi hammerfall itan na ksekinisoun mia nea MODA opou oloi paizane retro power/heavy , oxi na anastisoun to euro power, opws to metal hammer sou leei...prin apo tous hammerfall akoma kai sta 90s eixan vgei ena swro pragmata sto euro power apeirws kalitera kai pio afthentika apo tous hammerfall pou dne exoun kanena diko tous riff stin ousia..
oi hammerfall vgikan to 97 , les tote na anagenithike to euro power? sinelthe den einai mono oi helloween kai aftoi , ektos an metras ta group me vasi to poio poulaei perisotero kai exei perisoteres diafimiseis sta metal entipa.

Im not a power metal fan by any means. I have to say death metal is just about as cheesy. All of the lyrics about gore, and satanism. That is fantasy as well, and definitly nothing anyone (I hope) takes seriously. Or maybe my outlook on the human race is too optimistic.

@Ifothestorm : Ok man, den mporw na pw tipota, esy ksereis poly perissotera apo mena, egw den asxoloumai ka8olou me thn skhnh. pantws, eyxaristw pou mou ta eipes giati kai egw den ta hksera kala. egw emba8ynw sto swedish underground death metal kai esy sthn power metal, kai eimaste kala, xaxa!
den mou les sou aresan oi Dimension F3H?? einai ena poly periergo neo sxhma. exw katebasei merika tragoudakia tous kai einai arketa sympa8htika an kai den eimai kai fan ths skhnhs ayths.
epishs, to mono power metal sxhma pou mou aresei einai oi Sonata Arctica, ksereis gia aytous tipota parapanw?

:)

Reactions: Fourka
definitely love it. here's my share of the pie:

-silent force
-iron fire
-sinergy
-xiron
-blaze
-helloween
-grave digger

there's more, but those are drafted choices

Life Sucks said:
Does anyone here like it? I downloaded various power metal songs and tried to get into it, but I just couldn't. Some of the songs actually had really good guitarwork, but the cheesy operatic vocals ruin it all for me. So I actually don't really have anything against the style of music instrumentwise, I actually kind of like it, but I can't stand operatic vocals. Are there any powermetal bands out there that don't have such a vocal style? If so, please make some suggestions.

someone gave me bad rep for my post, damn them
grumble.gif
tongue.gif

the mighy Rhapsody are the kings of power metal (or symphonic epic hollywood metal according to their album sticker) once you listen to power metal enough you become immune to the cheese and don't even realise its there! :)