are there any females in thrash or power metal?

vic was 'ere

Feb 21, 2003
Australia
There are very few female metal artists, but the ones that do exist are mostly singers, and they either have soothing operatic vocals (eg Vibeke Stene) or growly death metal vocals (eg Angela Gossow). Even fewer actually play an instrument (with the exception of a few female bass players).

It looks like most women in metal are involved in extreme metal or gothic type stuff, so does anyone know of any women involved in thrash or power metal? These genres seem to have a smaller female representation. I'm still looking for a female metal artist who has a strong vocal presence (not that 'beauty and the beast' stuff you see in gothic bands) or even better, a female drummer or lead guitarist.

You'd think there would be plenty of females in Power Metal, no? The only band that is sorta power metal with a female singer would be Nightwish, but besides that, I've heard nothing about a thrash band with any female.

i dont know of any power/thrash bands with a full time female vocalist, but therion use opera vocals as their standard vox, rhapsody also use female session vocalists, but fabio lione sounds girly enough anyway haha.
im pretty damn sure there are no signed thrash bands with a full time female vocalist, and power metal bands with female vox would be quite hard to find id imagine

Holy Moses is a thrash band centered around a female vocalist Sabina Classen with quite an extensive discography. They broke up in 1994 but reformed in 2001 or so and have already released an album and an EP.

Meanstreak is an all female thrash band that released one album in 1988 and folded sometime afterwards. Two of the members are married to Dream Theater members.

Dark Moor is a euro power metal band with a female vocalist.

Drain STH was an all female band with a somewhat power metallish sound though they leaned more towards a more groovy sound.

check out a compilation called "the awekening" its dedicated to females in extreme metal. there is alot of thrash and doom on there. some black and death as well. there is a really good band called nobember grief on there. its a killer song they have on that cd
~gR~

Umm... Dark Moor is pretty good power metal. They sound similiar to Rhapsody. Fairyland has the same vocalist so if you like Dark Moor, you will like Fairyland.

Ooor... you can wait until my band gets famous (all girls but the temporary bass player. I sing lead) and then I will recommend you my band.

Jennifore Gore of demo band Avidost is amazing...I can give you guys contact info if you'd like to get ahold of something by them...very intricate prog metal...

Look for

Fear Of God - "Within The Veil" (my alltime favourite metal album, especially because of Dawn Crosby´s (R.I.P.) amazing vocal work; not exactly a "classical" thrash or power metal album, but something of it´s very own; very dark and unique stuff; to read more about this band visit: www.fear-of-god.com)
Atrox - "Orgasm" (some really heavy riffing, but much more than that; one of the most original metal bands featuring one of the most original metal vocalists - for some people obviously too original/eerie, but I just love it! If you don´t know what they are about, visit www.atrox-web.com and find out for yourself if this is something for you or not!)
Détente - "Recognize No Authority" (Fear of God´s predecessor; very good speed/thrash metal with sort of punkish(?) lyrics; Dawn´s vocals sound more aggressive than on "Within The Veil", yet lack the atmosphere and depth they create on the latter)
Madder Mortem - "Deadlands" (definitely not thrash and not "classical" power metal either, but very powerful and very heavy stuff; Agnete Kirkevaag also really has got a very powerful voice; to find out more about the band, visit www.maddermortem.com)
Znowhite - "Act Of God" (in my opinion, one of the best thrash albums, just listen to "To The Last Breath", "Baptised By Fire", "Rest In Peace" or "A Soldier´s Creed"; Nicole Lee´s aggressive vocals also fit quite well with the music - she reminds me a little bit of Dawn Crosby on "Recognize No Authority"; it might be difficult to find a copy of this album, because it has already been released in 1988 and the band split up afterwards)
Original Sin - "Sin Will Find You Out" (a so-called "all-female" thrash metal band; very clichéd lyrics - that´s why they probably weren´t printed down -, but I liked the music, though there have been rumours that they didn´t play the instruments themselves; probably also very hard to find, because after the release of this debut album in 1986, the band was never heard of again - at least not to my knowledge)
Chastain - "The 7th Of Never" (opinions will probably differ if the music on this album qualifies as power metal; however it is powerful music with some nice guitar-solos and a rough, powerful female voice by Leather Leone; Chastain released 5 albums with Leather Leone in the eighties and, as far as I know, two albums with Kate French - her voice sounds similar - in the nineties; I think "The 7th Of Never", released in 1987, is the best of them, but probably also very hard to find)
Phantom Blue - "Phantom Blue" (The picture of the 5 women on the album-cover might lead you into thinking they play terrible glam rock like Poison, but fortunately they don´t! Whether it´s power metal depends on how you define it. I´d simply say it´s powerful metal, and these women, especially the two guitarists, knew to play their instruments. A few years after this debut album from 1989, they released another album "Built To Perform", which also had some good songs on it. Over the years, there were several line-up changes and I don´t know if the band still exists. None of their albums is what I´d call a must-have, but perhaps you´ll find one of them in some second-hand record-store or get elsewhere a chance to listen to them, so you can decide for yourself.)
Nightwish - "Oceanborn" (In my opinion the best Nightwish album. Nightwish play what I´d call Power metal, yet I know there are people who don´t like Tarja´s opera-like voice. As for me, I don´t like operas, but I do like Tarja´s voice very much, so "Oceanborn" has become one of my favourite metal albums during the last years. For more information about the band visit www.nightwish.com.)

Well, that´s it.