FEMALES IN METAL - Marta Samitowska

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
Interesting interview by Darek Kempny of Metal-Portal.net with Marta Samitowska, a Polish writer whose written a great deal about the women of metal.

Metal Portal said:
Although metal music scene is dominated by male musicians, ladies have always been there. Just to mention here about such brave chicks as Lori Bravo (NUCLEAR DEATH), Katherine Thomas (THE GREAT KAT), Nicole Lee (ZNOWHITE), Doro Pesch (WARLOCK), Jo Bench (BOLT THROWER) or Sabina Classen (HOLY MOSES) who's enormous determination, strength and passion helped them to survive in this brutal male's world...

Nowadays, metal ladies are doing very well on the metal music scene. Let's say that such female artists as Tarja Turunen, Cristina Scabbia, Sharon del Adel, Angela Gossow or the newest addition in metal super-league namely Anette Olzon Blyckert have already achieved what most of male musicians can only dream of. Nevertheless, those ladies are still forced to fight against many prejudices every day. That's the main reason why Polish writer Marta Samitowska decided to write series of books about female artists. It's called "Through My Eyes, In Their Own Words: females in metal and beyond". Marta's intention is to prove that all these common stereotypes about women in metal are far away from the truth. Hereby I would like to present you an interesting interview, concerning various aspects of her work. Enjoy reading it.

Read full interview with Marta here.

Anyone else heard about her series of books before or read her stuff?

I've read "Through My Eyes... Part I", which was released just about two months ago, and I liked it. The main reason I bought it was because it also features an interview with former Atrox-vocalist Monika Edvardsen. Most of the vocalists featured in part I are somewhat lesser know. I guess the most prominent one has got to be Anette Olzon. The book also contains interviews with Kari Rueslåtten (who sang on The Third And The Mortal's masterpiece "Tears Laid In Earth" and their EP "Sorrow"), Amanda Somerville, Irene Jansen, Manda Ophuis, Laurie Ann Haus and several more. The interviews are between 6 and 12 pages long and illustrated with some black and white photographs.