Females in Music

LuminousAether said:
Music is good regardless of the gender involved. This thread is pathetic.
i absolutely don't agree....

i think that music made by male or female is different....

not better or worst...just different....

anyway i recommend:

-diamanda galas
-shelley hirsch
-faun fables
-suzanne vega
-alanis morrisette
-the great kat
-bjork
-fatima miranda
-jun togawa
-yoko ono
-monika edvarsen
-jewla eisenberg
-carla khildstedt
-allun

some really famous some absolutely not....

hey Burkhard! great tastes!

:)

Thanks for your compliment, dimensionidol!:) (I think there´s one "d" missing in your post - never mind!)

Right now I´m already looking forward to the "Voggesanger fra ondskapens akse"-concert taking place November 8th in Oslo. I think I already mentioned in another thread that it will feature female vocalists from Iran, Iraq and Palestine and my favourite non-metal singer from Norway, Kari Bremnes! :):):)
By the way, there´s also an EP with the same title (translated into English it means "Lullabies from the axis of evil", which might sound like the title of a black metal compilation to some people, though it´s definitely not), which was realeased earlier this year on the small, but very fine Norwegian record label Kirkelig Kulturverksted. (Kari Rueslåtten-aficionados should give "Solrenning" by Anne Vada and Aki Fukakusa, already released in 1997, a try!) For more information visit www.kkv.no - there´s also an English version of this website.
It seems November will be this year´s concert-month, because only two days after the "Voggesanger fra ondskapens akse"-concert, it´s Mari Boine in Essen (here in Germany), another four days later Qntal, also in Essen. On November 23rd I plan to see Yat-Kha from Tuva play live in Bochum. I haven´t heard anything by them yet, but I´ve already read something about them which sounded quite interesting. Finally, one week later I´ll attend Sima Bina´s concert in Cologne. - What would life be without all this beautiful music?

How do you know? Have you already listened to all vocalists/bands in the world, LuminousAether?

By the way, only 1 out of 25 isn´t much. Didn´t you find any more vocalists/bands among those I mentioned who you really dislike? And isn´t it unbearable to see that someone with such a bad taste in music like me also likes Madder Mortem and The Third And The Mortal who popped up in your list? It must be really traumatizing! (Or at least very irritating.)

sickfish said:
Female artists in my playlist:

Loreena McKennit
TheCorrs
Cindy Lauper
Enya
Bangles
Tracy Chapman
K's Choice
Avril Lavigne (yep..)
Lene Marlin
Skunk Anansie
Björk

I dont like Sinergy, Arch Enemy and Nightwish for some reason. And bands like Kittie and all that american nu-rock none sense.

By the way, hey, I'm new to UM.
:wave:
Firstly, welcome to UM =)

Now, how can you NOT like Sinergy, yet you like Avril Lavigne??? I like non-metal artists as well, but, this girl cannot sing, AT ALL. She is at her worst when she sings live. I wonder how this one got a record deal.

Great posts Burkhard!
Thanks a lot!
Thanks to DimensionIdol as well
I was hoping for responses like that

I will do my best to check out all of the artists you posted about. I was actually quite pleased to have recognized, and heard, two of the artists you mentioned; garmana and hedningarna

I recently stumbled upon a japanese female trio called the 5,6,7,8's who play surf rock tunes. They are featured in Quentin Tarantino's film, kill-bill... They are quite good at what they do...

Thanks and cheers

sickfish said:
Female artists in my playlist:
TheCorrs
:wave:
Hey, cool. The Corrs!
I've seen them play live on Saturday Night Live and some other shows and I know I liked some of their songs.
Can you give me some song recommendations?
What are their more folky songs? I don't know any of the song titles save for Breathless and So Young and stuff like that...

Hi Orelans,

Just in case you should like me to record something for you or in case you should have any questions concerning any of the bands/singers I mentioned, let me know. I´ve just returned from a trip to Oslo where I went to the "Voggesanger fra ondskapens akse"("Lullabies From The Axis Of Evil")-concert featuring 5 female singers, namely Kari Bremnes (she´s just ravishing!) from Norway, Rim Banna from Palestine, Hela (or: Halla?) Bassam from Iraq and the sisters Mahsa and Marjan Vahdat from Iran - it was really a great and impressive concert! And just a few hours after arriving at home I went to see Mari Boine live in Essen and she and her band were brilliant just as I had expected. This November seems to be a good concert-month for me, there are three more to come: Qntal, Yat-Kha and Sima Bina.

Just signed up to let you know that my current favourite band has a female writer/singer:

Carol van Dyke from Bettie Serveert.

Her voice really does it for me. Guess the music could fit in the "Alternative rock" category.

You could also check out the "Bulgarian Women's Cjoir", but it's not for everyone.

Sundazed said:
You could also check out the "Bulgarian Women's Cjoir", but it's not for everyone.
Ah, finally someone else who knows these great voices. Especially live they are absolutely impressive! (You´ll find the touring dates of The Bulgarian Voices "Angelite" on www.jaro.de.) As for their albums, I´d say that "Volume 3" by Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares and the double-live CD "Melody, Rhythm & Harmony" by The Bulgarian Voices "Angelite" are highly recommendable. Also on the current album "Balkan Passions" by The Bulgarian Voices "Angelite" there are some really great songs (especially "Dilele", performed together with the "speed brass" ensemble Fanfare Ciocarlia), and one of my favourite songs is definitely "Legend" (performed together with Huun-Huur-Tu from Tuva) from the album "Fly, Fly My Sadness". I could imagine that the very deep vocals of Huun-Huur-Tu on this song might even appeal to some death metal fans:D.

Im into alot of female fronted bands..
lacuna coil
arch enemy
within temptation
my ruin
snake river conspiracy
hole
garbage
an umm cant think of the rest but yeh...u shud check those out
x

Anthony said:
Rockbitch, hahahaha!