Why do Women Hate Metal- or any other complex music?

speed said:
I read an article with Steve Vai, and he stated he doesnt remember any chicks getting excited about his guitar playing in general. I suppose one has to be in a big popular band that tours to be appreciatd by women.
WHich further proves the intrinsic homo-sexuallity of wanking, or better euphemistically known as "shredding."

Oh the image obscessed bands are a great influence too...

Sometimes I wonder if there are any women who do not choose what music they like based on the scene but for the music itself. Frankly, I've never seen a woman more than moderately enjoy music. I've never seen one get really excited over it or display any passion other than for the musicians that play it.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Sometimes I wonder if there are any women who do not choose what music they like based on the scene but for the music itself. Frankly, I've never seen a woman more than moderately enjoy music. I've never seen one get really excited over it or display any passion other than for the musicians that play it.

This thread is depressing me. :erk: I feel so stereotyped. :(

Please don't take this the wrong way. I hope I don't get flamed for this (but if I do oh well there's nothing I can do about it). Sometimes it feels kind of insulting that some guys seem to think we're all a bunch of stupid dumb asses that only listen to music because of some reason besides the fact that we actually like the music.

Hell I don't even use a female user name on message boards because I think I will automatically be judged this way.

Yeah I know there's a lot of girls that are into the music (if you could call it that) for all the wrong reasons. But just remember for every 10 females you see like that there's one out there somewhere who ACTUALLY LIKES THE MUSIC!!! I promise! :D

Goddamn if all I cared about was image then I wouldn't be spending thousands of dollars buying CDs and going to shows when I'm almost 30 years old and no one else I know gives a damn about the kind of music I like.

*sobbing over* ;)

ThePhilosopher said:
And another thing, is it a crime to be a good looking female and be into metal? No offense to anybody here, but the majority of girls/women I see at metal shows are hideous. I can usually count the hot girls I see per metal show on one hand.

Well I'm sure most of the women at gigs think most of the men look hideous too.

there was actually a fair number nice looking females when i went and saw slayer, i didnt see that one coming

same thing with former hairband shows

there was actually a fair number nice looking females when i went and saw slayer, i didnt see that one coming

same thing with former hairband shows and gwar even

Roy said:
Well I'm sure most of the women at gigs think most of the men look hideous too.

Come on metal girls, some of the blokes on here have said most of you are ugly. It's time to come forward & stand up for yourselves.

Well For One I Like Football, And Baseball.

I Am Only Attracted To Men In Metal, Metal Or Just Music In General In A Huge Part Of My Life And I Couldn't Be With Some One If We Had Huge Differences,

And I Find Metal Heads Sexy, I Definatly Perfer Long Hair!!!!!
Besides Most Guys Preppy Guys Dont Like My Tatoos, Yes I Do Care What I Look Like Or I Wouldn't Work Out, But I Would Never Date Someone Who Wan't Into Metal. Your Apperance Dosen't Matter As Much As The Connection Or What You Have In Common. Metal Is Basically My Life.

This thread is funny. All the "metal" females trying to prove their "metalness" over a message board.

speed said:
I agree Edgecrusher, as I think about it, Womens hatred of complex abrasive music, and love of emotional dance music is yet another reason why women are so attractive. Something that is so hard to ever understand - women, is all the more attractive.

Now, I will never understand the mood swings, the need to shop all day, and the whole female friendship thing ( you know women seem to backstab each other all day long, and still be friends- i cant tell you how many times i have seen a chick call her friend a fat ugly bitch behind the friends back, and then tell the friend a few seconds later she looks beautiful, and must have lost weight- now this is something I will never understand, but i do find it funny).
I hate those damn mood swings! One day they'll be your best friend and the next day they'll act like they barely know you.

Or they'll be talking to another female, and smiling nicely like they're good friends, then turn around to you and say "OOH! I can't stand her!"

Ah, they truly are one of the wonders of the world.

Sadude- excellent comment- wankery has no place. At least Vai has carved a niche of doing nothing but wankery, hes not attempting to write songs or create "music" like those pretentious bastards in Dream Theater.

First of all, placing metal into a musical hierarchy is a big mistake. It's just another form of music, no more, no less. This happens all the time within metal as well; people will rank power metal or nu-metal lower than death or black metal. Why? Personal preference does not, and will never, dictate fact. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean it sucks (even though you may think it sucks big time).

Complexity isn't the issue; applicability is. What's the use of atttaching oneself to complex music if it doesn't evoke anything? Furthermore, creating a metal "image" is illogical. Heightening the music's influence over your life as a person to the point where it begins to dictate image takes away everything that was special about the music in the first place. When art begins to develop a stranglehold on the inner/outer workings of a person, when that person experiences the art firsthand, the aspects of the art that the person normally appreciates are lost over a much greater space. The impact is lessened, and the art itself does less to the person. People in this situation will often beign to tire of certain acts quickly; to compensate, they begin to search for more acts that are stylistically similiar. This can then lead them to become tired of the genre or subgenre as a whole. They can be blinded into outright dismissing an entire (sub)genre based on past experiences (though this isn't necessarily always a bad thing), as well as becoming moody with bands they've enjoyed in the past.

Metal is a musical form, and should be approached as one. It's a sad thing when people deify it. Fuck metalheads.

I never said all girls into metal were ugly, I simply said that from personal experience its very hard to spot decent looking ones at metal shows. Especially in comparison to the amount I've seen at shows of a different style of music (such as certain local shows around here for rock bands or emo bands or whatever).

when i see girls at metal,most of them have spikes, dress all in black, and look totally gay, rarly you'll find a hot blonde girl, but they are with they boyfriends, and most guys at metal have short hair with the exception of the posers who dress up.

Somberlain said:
Just because you don't have to. :p

Exactly.

Reading the attitudes of some of the guys here tends to put me on the defensive.

But hey, whatever. They can think what they want, I obviously can't change anyone's opinion.

edit: I know you guys say "most" not "all" so I should just chill anyway. ;)