Women and heavy metal.

No good female musicians? Then what about all the INCREDIBLE classical musicians out there, playing some of the most difficult pieces ever written, like Elena Kuschnerova, Marta Argerich, Sharon Izbin and Anne Sophie Mutter? Females have what it takes to play just as well as males, but they don`t have the same incentive to show off as males do. It`s not coincidental that the few female shred guitarists there are tom-boys and masculine(not necessarily in appearance). One other thing a female musician has to deal with is the predominantly male crowd, which not only demands a good musician, but also a fine-looking "piece of meat", so to say...

I think that to get more women into metal there needs to be co-operation on both sides. Male metal fans need to be more accepting of women, and females need to ditch all that stereotypical shit.

Many females in metal bands still look pretty and all, so the role of being 'eye-candy' is still there - why? I thought metal was about 'deliberate' ugliness, so why do many female metal artists still tart up like britney spears?

I think many women enjoy being eye candy and sex objects, to be quite honest. Why else do so many girls spend hours in front of the mirror getting ready to go out? They can easily not do that but most women would rather die than step out the door without caking on a tonne of makeup. When you go to metal gigs, you usually won't find many girls, and for the few that are there, a large part of them are either groupies or are only there because their boyfriends invited them to the show. In other words they are there for anything but the music, mostly for 'image' purposes.

So to get more women into metal, I think it's the female mentality that needs to change more than anything else. And don't think I'm sexist - I'm actually female myself - it's just that I don't agree with many of the values and attitudes that most other girls have.

As James Brown said in his superb song "It's a man's man's man's world"!!
Besides that, I think maybe metal is too brutal for women. I have lots of records by women, but it's mostly not any rougher than that singer/songwriter-hippie stuff from the late 60's/early 70's or else it's soul or something. Maybe it has something to do with the female mentality. I don't think violence, brutality, stupidity and shit do anything for women. You don't see many women in boxing. You don't see many women in ultimate fighting. You don't see many women in wrestling (the WWF style). You don't see many women do Jackass stuff. Last and leastly, you don't see many women in metal.
Maybe it also has something to do with the old traditions & standards; Women stayed home, cooked food, took care of the children and looked pretty and innocent while the men put food on the table, worked as a blacksmith and so on.

vic was 'ere said:
I think that to get more women into metal there needs to be co-operation on both sides. Male metal fans need to be more accepting of women, and females need to ditch all that stereotypical shit.

Many females in metal bands still look pretty and all, so the role of being 'eye-candy' is still there - why? I thought metal was about 'deliberate' ugliness, so why do many female metal artists still tart up like britney spears?

I think many women enjoy being eye candy and sex objects, to be quite honest. Why else do so many girls spend hours in front of the mirror getting ready to go out?
Well, sure! Being told you're pretty & sexy is a compliment and who doesn't like a compliment? If people came up to me and said "Hey Board, you're sexy and good looking" I would be happy too, but people don't do that as I look like a bucket of puke!

I think it has to do with the old sterotypes and the fact that most women don't like metal-too noisy, etc
As far as I am concerned band wise, my view is as long as the person, be they male, female, black, white-if they can do the job, and they play with the passion, it's all good! It just does not matter..metal is a state of mind.

Give me a gal with jeans, a metal T, a good mind, and a passion for metal..she's fine by me!

There's plenty of girls listening to metal these days however, maybe not in extreme metal but getting them, a bundle of them are hot too... ;)