Why do Women Hate Metal- or any other complex music?

im a female metalhead i love heavy music and i love having discussions about music with other metalheads i do agree that finding another female to talk with about music in terms of production, and discussing views about how each instrument sounds on an album is an extremly difficult task so i usually stick with talking to guys about that sort of stuff as they can usually hold a discussion as oppose to saying errr yea whatever. When you go to gigs i find that generally only a very small percentage of the audience is female and half of that percentage seem extremly bored with the music.
As for my dress sense i dont wear spikes and i wear the same makeup to gigs that i wear to work at gigs i always wear jeans a band shirt and either trainers or boots depending on which i find first definatly dont dress up i mean whats the point in wearing a corset and if your stuck in 6 inch heels you cant have half as much fun in the pit or at least it seems that way to me and by the way i wouldnt call myself totally dropdead gorgeous beauty queen but im not fucking ugly!!

mutilated_mistress said:
im a female metalhead i love heavy music and i love having discussions about music with other metalheads i do agree that finding another female to talk with about music in terms of production, and discussing views about how each instrument sounds on an album is an extremly difficult task so i usually stick with talking to guys about that sort of stuff as they can usually hold a discussion as oppose to saying errr yea whatever. When you go to gigs i find that generally only a very small percentage of the audience is female and half of that percentage seem extremly bored with the music.

Well as a female metal fan it is your responsibilty to get as many of your female friends into the music as possible. It's up to you to make women a dominant force in the metal world. Then more metal loving blokes will be able to have metal loving girlfriends. Then they can breed & have metal loving babys. Then the whole world will become metal fans.

Most women only seem to like metal when they're teenagers then they "grow out of it".

As if there aren't enough male trendwhores into metal, we need more female ones too?

Varulv said:
This thread is funny. All the "metal" females trying to prove their "metalness" over a message board.

Yes and NO, I don't have to prove myself to anyone. Yet again what I'm saying is that, though there are few, there are chicks in metal. Many may be brainless and easy influenced. But just like any stereo-type. There are females who are true to the metal.

I think a better question than, "why do women hate metal?" is "do a lot of women ever use the left/logical side of their brain?" Instead of acting like pissed off feminists right when you see something about females into metal, try to actually pay attention to what is being said. All I've seen is a bunch of "metal chicks" trying to prove themselves in this thread when the majority of posters here aren't necessarily saying, there aren't any female metallers; just, they haven't really seen that many at shows or that A LOT of them are groupies, goths, and/or poseurs.. this doesn't mean all of them.

Incase any of the girls missed it because they were too busy being emotional, the keyword here is: Most.

A single thought ran through my head while reading the comments on this board...

Where the hell did all of these female board members protrude from!? I swear, I've noticed MAYBE one before...question, do you all require an effortless provocation concerning your gender in order to expose yourselves and participate? Don't be timid, there are far too many men here. Assist us in making our beloved ultimatemetal board a bit less of a homoerotic hobby, please!

Also, since when does dance music constitute something emotional? There are literally a plethora of metal bands I listen to that compose genuinely-emotional music.

Well For One I Like Football, And Baseball.

I Am Only Attracted To Men In Metal, Metal Or Just Music In General In A Huge Part Of My Life And I Couldn't Be With Some One If We Had Huge Differences,

And I Find Metal Heads Sexy, I Definatly Perfer Long Hair!!!!!
Besides Most Guys Preppy Guys Dont Like My Tatoos, Yes I Do Care What I Look Like Or I Wouldn't Work Out, But I Would Never Date Someone Who Wan't Into Metal. Your Apperance Dosen't Matter As Much As The Connection Or What You Have In Common. Metal Is Basically My Life.

If there's one thing I deduced from your post, it's that you can't type. Thank you for exerting the extra effort to hold shift at the beginning of every word thus straining my vision, you compulsive dipsit. Every word in your insipid paragraph isn't a proper noun. How could everyone else dismiss such a blatant display of discourtesy and stupidity?

Oh yes, I've forgotten to congratulate you on being a walking cliche. Have fun with that.

Anyway, that being said, I've met quite a wide surplus of women into metal. Unfortunately, they were all self-alienated bimbos. So much for that.

Seriously however, my own girlfriend happens to admire complex music and metal, and by no means is she a bimbo. Contrary to my once-firm beliefs, they DO exist. It's just a shame that there's such a dearth of them.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
A single thought ran through my head while reading the comments on this board...

Where the hell did all of these female board members protrude from!? I swear, I've noticed MAYBE one before...question, do you all require an effortless provocation concerning your gender in order to expose yourselves and participate? Don't be timid, there are far too many men here. Assist us in making our beloved ultimatemetal board a bit less of a homoerotic hobby, please!

Also, since when does dance music constitute something emotional? There are literally a plethora of metal bands I listen to that compose genuinely-emotional music.

Well, either you made up your girlfriend, or your pissed because she's ugly. Because you have some women problems here. If you need to talk I'm here.

Think of it this way asshole, I'm the only girl in group of about 15. Not because of any other reason then NO WOMEN I KNOW LIKE METAL, or they pretend to get the guy. I have worked hard to get respect, so what I'm saying is Fuck off.

If there's one thing I deduced from your post, it's that you can't type. Thank you for exerting the extra effort to hold shift at the beginning of every word thus straining my vision, you compulsive dipsit. Every word in your insipid paragraph isn't a proper noun. How could everyone else dismiss such a blatant display of discourtesy and stupidity?

Oh yes, I've forgotten to congratulate you on being a walking cliche. Have fun with that.

Anyway, that being said, I've met quite a wide surplus of women into metal. Unfortunately, they were all self-alienated bimbos. So much for that.

Seriously however, my own girlfriend happens to admire complex music and metal, and by no means is she a bimbo. Contrary to my once-firm beliefs, they DO exist. It's just a shame that there's such a dearth of them.

Hmmm. Well, I am a female, and have a demo CD of all original material. I've also been into many metal bands for years, such as Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. Recently I've also been writing more original stuff with more distorted guitar.

I actually don't know any women who just like "sappy happy stuff." Most women I know like rock, hard rock, or even industrial/metal stuff, and shun artists such as Britney Spears or pop stuff. I've also gotten negative feedback from guys about being a woman who DOES like metal, they act like it's really strange and out of place. So from an objective perspective, it seems people think of women in metal in two ways: Either women 'dont' get" complex music, or that when they do, they're treated as odd somehow.

speed said:
Why do so few women care for complex music? I know of no woman that gets exciting about a guitarist or drummer or groundbreaking band. All women seem to care about is sappy happy songs- of course this is a broad generalization, some women really do care for complex stuff etc. Yet, as I think about it, how many women are even musicians- and those that are, how many have any talent besides a few chinese violinists, and certain female vocalists. Is complex , or non emotional music totally a male interest?

I have one female friend who listens to metal. She weighs a hundred and ten kilos, wears a thick coat of white paint and dresses in nothing but black. But, she DOES enjoy the music, and that's what counts.

But, all in all, I guess I agree with the majority of males in this thread. Too few females listen to metal. And those who do are, unfortunately, too worried about theri image.

I guess I'm lucky, though. My girlfriend listens to Guns N' Roses. Better than Britney, at least...

That's me, adding absolutely nothing new or interesting to the thread. :)

my girlfriend loves metalcore and iron maiden. she's also not opposed to giving bands that i like a chance. she's gotten into dream evil and sinergy, and i've gotten her to admit to certain bands like goatwhore as being "not that bad."

but she also likes stuff like brand new, bjork, britney spears, and other stuff so...

who knows.

One of the hottest women I know actually listened to an Earth Crisis song wihtout flinching and asked for the name to download. I never wanted to fuck anyone that bad before.

haha...

My girlfriend doesn't mind metal. She likes some Symphony X, Dream Theater, Decapitated, Children of Bodom and she likes Opeth's Still Life album alot and wants to buy it.

Unfortunately she has a taste in horrible hiphop....