Death metal vocals are emotionless Yay or Nay

The Real Moonchild said:
First things first when i heard In Flames - The Jester Race i said :"woah this album has incredible muscianship and vibe it kicks arse." but the more i was hearing the album the more i just wanted to hear the solos skipping the vocals and the instrumental songs because i couldn't stand the vocals, they absolutely bored the hell outha me, those songs had no climax or high peak because there is no real singer! Even Dave fuckin Mustaine have a vocal reach that can make a song interesting through 6 minutes. I am not saying that i hate Death Metal vocals but that they should be where Carcass and Napalm Death limited their work. Heck if The Jester Race had a James Hetfield or a Bruce Dickinson on their 20's it would be considered a fucking great album.

Let me hear your opinions. :)

well when i first heard in flames and meshuggah i thought they both sucked, their vocalists bore me, it's not like opeth where they sound really deep and heavy then go into actual singing, which makes them interesting, or something like KoRn where the guy may sound whiny but he's expressing the pain in his depressing songs, and so on

i like vocalists who actually make their songs interesting, if they didn't do anything or change their pitch etc then they really suck, because when people first hear something they are more listening to the vocals then whats going on in the background(drums, bass, guitar, or anything like that) so the vocalist can kill peoples taste in them at times) :erk:

Nightwing said:
I don't think so - I genuinelly have no idea what the labels 'melodic death' and 'grindcore' refer to........and I do believe, whilst it may well be difficult to conjure up a good growl, it is most definitely not singing!!
How is it not singing?

IMO, it depends how the song is constructed.
Some songs feel like the vocals are emotional and it sounds great, and some songs sounds like the vocals are not, which sounds great too.

And vica versa.

Adding a Bruce Dickinson style to The Jester Race would change it from being a fairly interesting album to a piece of fucking shit. Bruce is one of the most disgustingly horrible vocalists of all time.

Death growls >>>>> Power metal cockgobbling

LuminousAether said:
Adding a Bruce Dickinson style to The Jester Race would change it from being a fairly interesting album to a piece of fucking shit. Bruce is one of the most disgustingly horrible vocalists of all time.

Death growls >>>>> Power metal cockgobbling
I agree. But Bruce Dickinson doesn't bother me like the vocalists from Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Helloween, and other power metal bands do.

Timmeth said:
How is it not singing?
Oh well, I suppose it is, in a way. I went to a metal night here in Perth, and one of the bands had one of these guys who growls at you, and I was kinda laughing a bit.........respect for being up there, but is it meant to sound 'evil' or something?

can someone please enlighten me as to the labels I mentioned?
'Melodic death' 'Grindcore', and what the fuck is 'mallcore'??? I'm serious......

Life Sucks said:
I agree. But Bruce Dickinson doesn't bother me like the vocalists from Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Helloween, and other power metal bands do.

How do they bother you? Sure, they may be a little over the top, but they're passionate, in tune, and that has to count for something

saturnix said:
depends on the variation. most straight-up death metal bands are boring, vocally. consider bloodbath: no vocal variations, just monotonous chug-a-lug gutturals. then consider opeth, which utilises a wide variety of growl pitches, as well as clean singing. same singer, different outcomes.
Why shouldn't a vocalist treat his voice as a guitarist treats his instrument. Different styles of picking and riffing to fit certain moods and tonal changes making the music more interesting. IMO - A vocalist who can growl like Vader, scream like Cradle, sing like Borknagar is a real versatile individual who can only enhance the song. I know many people don't feel that way, but I think it's a shame to limit yourself to one vocal style and in so doing possibly limit the greatness of the music. :headbang:

i think a good growl is as emotional as a cleanly held note. it depends on your taste really.
a growl conveys passion, anger, everything!

true some vocalists just belch away, but the real professionals like jorgen sandstrom show you how its supposed to be. ;)

For some Emotional Death Metal Vocals check out Amon Amarth's newest album "Vs. The World"

Johan Hegg has a very powerful voice that can put across emotion aswell.

Also check out "The Dragon's Flight Across The Waves" about a Viking who goes off to war and has to leave his wife and kids behind, some powerful stuff, so yeah Amon Amarth.

Melodic Death Metal = Death Metal that is Melodic, I thought that was fairly self explanitory, see: At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility.

Grindcore = Simplified Grind. Carcass were Grind, so Grindcore would be a more basic form of Grind. Check out Agorophobic Nosebleed.

Mallcore = ??? Haven't got a clue.

I hate all these -core things, what happened to just calling something what it is.

I heard in Kerrang :puke: that they called Night Wish "Nu-Gothcore" and "Andrew-LLoyd Webber-Core"

ARGH!!!

Heavy Metal Samurai said:
Melodic Death Metal = Death Metal that is Melodic, I thought that was fairly self explanitory, see: At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility.
I didn't think any 'death metal' was melodic, actually.
I'll check out those bands though, cheers.
Grindcore = Simplified Grind. Carcass were Grind, so Grindcore would be a more basic form of Grind. Check out Agorophobic Nosebleed.
Amore basic form of grind?? What is grind??
Mallcore = ??? Haven't got a clue.
Makes two of us......
I hate all these -core things, what happened to just calling something what it is.
Yep.
I heard in Kerrang :puke: that they called Night Wish "Nu-Gothcore" and "Andrew-LLoyd Webber-Core"
Now THAT's funny.......

I don´t think so, i think they are not emotionless, but there are some exceptions as every case we look in. But most no.