EMG's - Yay or Nay ???

Savo

Apr 5, 2006
I was thinking of putting EMGs in my Edwards Les Paul Custom. The JB thats in there feeds back like crazy - to the point where its unusable - and no matter what i try i cant get it to stop so im going to have to change pickups.

I like the JB, i also have a Duncan Distortion in my Schecter that i really like but i think i wanna try put EMGs in it although im not too sure.

I could get the ZW set because it comes with everything i'll need so what do you think about EMGs in a Les Paul - an 81 and an 85 ??

Yay or Nay and why ?

Thanks

go for it... try it with the 81 in the bridge... and if thats not awesome to your ears... try the 85 in the bridge... you cant go wrong... unless you're looking for a COMPLETELY different sound...

Though, i did notice going from passive to active pickups, it was feeding back more at first... so... proceed with caution.

feeding back with a jb?
either use a noise gate, or turn the gain down

The gain is at about 5 on my Blackmore and it feeds back. It even feeds back when i boost the crunch channel of my DSL.

Its just a faulty pick-up. My Les Paul doesnt feed-back at all (well, maybe a TINY bit sometimes but its managable) and you couldnt get my Schecter with a Duncan Distortion to feed back if you tried. All guitars are going through the same amps at the same settings. The JB is just unusable. In the middle of palm mutes it feeds back and you cant stop or have pauses in the songs at all or the windows will smash with the shrieking o_O

Def just a faulty pick-up so its gotta go.

go for it... try it with the 81 in the bridge... and if thats not awesome to your ears... try the 85 in the bridge... you cant go wrong... unless you're looking for a COMPLETELY different sound...

Though, i did notice going from passive to active pickups, it was feeding back more at first... so... proceed with caution.

Can you just switch the 81 and the 85's around or is one specifically for the neck and one specifically for the bridge in the ZW set ??

if you're in the states lemme know if ya wanna sell the JB

i use duncans as my main pickups, and i've got 4 guitars loaded with em...i've also got a guitar with emg's that sounds great as well, it's good to have both in your arsenal if ya can

if you're in the states lemme know if ya wanna sell the JB

i use duncans as my main pickups, and i've got 4 guitars loaded with em...i've also got a guitar with emg's that sounds great as well, it's good to have both in your arsenal if ya can

Im in Europe. Its a gold covered JB for a Les Paul Custom. I have a matching 59 for the neck that im going to take out too. I think theres something wrong with the pick-up(s) though. The feed back is ridiculous. You would prob have to get them re-wound.

Can you just switch the 81 and the 85's around or is one specifically for the neck and one specifically for the bridge in the ZW set ??

They're totally interchangeable, and not only that, once they're all soldered, the wires connect to the pickups with an EMG-universal plug, so it's like a 10-second procedure to swap the two (that's what I did in my RG, and I actually like the 85 better in the bridge and the 81 better in the neck).

I'm a big fans of EMG's.. i like them a whole lot better then Gibson elements for one.. i like the clarity and bite they bring!
I allways have to add that in afterwards with other pickups..

yeah if you get the emg zw set they should have the quick connect feature which will let you swap them out...it's nice to have an 81/85 and swap out the bridge one from time to time to keep things fresh sounding

i think the 85 can really sound great in the bridge or neck, i only like the 81 in the bridge tho