EMG's In ASH

c-pig

New Metal Member
Sep 8, 2009
I have a swam ash guitar it currently has duncans but i use EMGs in all my guitars , but this is my first ash guitar, i use an 81/60 combo in all my guitars but most of them are mahogany or alder, im wondering if ishould use the 85's in the ash? just wondering if anyone has an ash guitar with emgs ?? thanks

I have a swam ash guitar it currently has duncans but i use EMGs in all my guitars , but this is my first ash guitar, i use an 81/60 combo in all my guitars but most of them are mahogany or alder, im wondering if ishould use the 85's in the ash? just wondering if anyone has an ash guitar with emgs ?? thanks
Ash is pretty similar in tone to alder. It's a little brighter but it's generally pretty balanced. I have no direct experience with ash/emg's but it you are happy with the 81 in alder...

Just as a reference, what Duncans are in it now, and what do you think of the tone?

Well its got a duncan jazz in the neck and a bill lawence L500 in the bridge , i have basically tried every duncan so i could have used that as a guide but the bill lawrence is new to me so i dont know how it compares.

For the record, the Jeff Loomis signature Schecters come with 707s (85's effectively) and they're made out of ash. The EMGs sound great in this guitar, and I will be taking the blackouts out of my Loomis and putting EMGs back in there very soon.

I know they sound good because a friend of mine owned 2 Loomis'.

I would have thought you would have 85's an Alder, because it is much brighter than mahogany? O well, whatever floats your boat man. :)

TBH I greatly prefer the tone of 707s in the Mahogany Hellraiser to the Ash Loomis Sig. If Ash really is brighter than alder I can only suggest getting as dark pickups as you can in there otherwise you might be in for some nasty frequency spikes.

EDIT: Here are some samples using some DI's recorded using a Hellraiser and a Loomis:

Hellraiser (Mahogany) into my 6505:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/437070/Hellraiser into 6505 (RAW Guitars).mp3

Loomis (Ash) into my 6505:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/437070/Loomis into 6505 (RAW Guitars).mp3

The samples are RAW and panned left. I think it is easier to compare tones when listening through 1 monitor. I didn't tweak the mic position, just dialled it in and hit record. No HP/LP, etc...

I can't remember who originally posted the DI's as it was some time ago, but if you are reading this, then thanks. :kickass:

It is going to be an epic wiring job to put 707's back in my Loomis because I got a set of 707TW's and I need to figure out how to write them with only 1 coil tap up to a single volume knob, and the wires on the quick connectors were cut in a lulzy way by the guy I traded off. :lol:

I want them in there now! :( I love my Hellraiser but I'd like to use something different for a change. :lol:

The differences definitely are more apparent. The Hellraiser is more clearly the better sounding one! Better quality clips than yesterday for sure, less boom and fizz and more useful tone content!