Help me choose some PU's for Mayones Regius 6

Catalin

Oct 19, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hello guys !

I want to order a Regius 6 but i am undecided about pickups choice. There are to many options :zombie:
So the guitar will be tuned standard B (27 scale) and the wood options are mahogany or ash for the body wings. The neck will be the standard one: maple/wenge/amazakoe//mahogany.
I am after a clear, articulate distortion sound.
For now my favorites are the EMG's 81/85 or 60 - X series - but that's only from what i've read on the internet, i haven't tried them.
Other pickups i am thinking at are: DiMarzio's D-Activator or Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
I am open to any other pickups/wood combinations ...
Thanks for your time !

What genre of metal do you want to play with it?
I dislike emgs but of course that's just my opinion.
I have a seymour duncan sh-4 in my horizon and it gives me a very "transparent" tone which I really like.
Anyway... If you are after that kind of "tranparent" sound too, I wouldn't go with active pickups!

Yeah love sh-4 , sounds great ! Very versatile pickup, nice and cripsy pm sounding I played on Regius too with that pickup, it's awesome! :)

I had a lot of mayoneses (Setiuses) They all had Seymour Duncan SH4 JB on the bridge, here are some clips! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
EMGs suck IMO, the sh-4 is definitely not suited for low tuning like B, for mahogany id say either the bare knuckle painkiller or aftermath, for ash id say ceramic warpig or miracle man, if you don't need super tightness the holy diver is amazing in brighter tone woods.

If you listen closely the EMG pickups sound similar to the Blackouts while the Blackouts sound like an active version of the Duncan Distortion pickups. Also you can hear what the differences between active and passive pickups which helps you to know which ones you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0etYaRSftU

If you listen closely the EMG pickups sound similar to the Blackouts while the Blackouts sound like an active version of the Duncan Distortion pickups. Also you can hear what the differences between active and passive pickups which helps you to know which ones you prefer.

That video ruled, all hail passive pickups and the Duncan Distortion. And that's just with a Pod even (which tends to hide differences between pickups a little more than amps in my experience).

Thanks for the replyes !
In the video posted by Adrian i like SH-6 more in high gain 1 riff and 81X in high gain riff 2. Damn... it's a hard choice :)

Recently swapped the D-Sonic and Fernandes Sustainer in my Regius Blakkheim (ash) for a EMG 81 & 85 set. Also play B-tuning and tried the SH-6 in the bridge, the 81 is much more articulate in my opinion. Tested all pickups on a ENGL Powerball.