Help me choose a Carvin DC127 (6 string guitar)

Airborne

6 & 7 string guitars
Jul 2, 2009
Europe
Hey guys I want to order a new Carvin DC127 6-string guitar and just want some opinions from you which type of wood I should choose.
The main reason why I want a DC127 is because I really love the neck and cutaway on those guitars. I tried a lot and they feel very comfortable for me to play.

However I am absolutely not sure about the wood combination.

I know that I want stainless steel jumbo frets, Tung Oil Finish Back Of Neck and a fixed (tune-o-matic) bridge. That's all.

As some of you know I compose a lot of instrumental/shred metal. I want a lot of sustain for the solos.

Any opinions on the type of wood?

Those are neck-through, right? So the neckwood is more influential on the tone/sustain then the bodywood. There used to be a handy woodguide on the carvinsite. Somehow alder/ash/maple seem to come in my mind for what you describe.

Thanks guys, I am now on the Carvin site checking out the descriptions of the woods.
Over the years I played most of the time mahogany bodies (Ibanez RGA, ESP Horizon).

Any other Carvin enthusiasts out there?

Hey man, I have to custom made carvins. One is made of koa/maple with alder wings and the other is mahogany with a maple top and maple fretboard. They are tons of different woods out there, and they will all sound different in different contexts. I really like the distinct middiness of koa and so i recommend it, especially as it is hard to get from other builders, but at the end of the day it is all preference. I'd say if you are going for shred do a Birdseye maple fretboard, maple boards just seem to have the attack that I hear on shred records.

On the Stainless steel frets and tung oil neck big thumbs up, have it on both the guitars: LOVE IT. Good luck with your decision.