EBMM JPX-6 and Carvin DC127 Pickup recommendations?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Just as the title says, what kind of pickups would you recommend?

The EBMM JPX-6 string is chambered Alder with maple top and mahogany Tone Block for the body, and a Select mahogany neck, and ebony fingerboard.

The Carvin DC127 has an Alder body with maple top, maple neck, and ebony fingerboard.

Very similar specs for both guitars.

I really liked the sound of EMG 81's in my LTD MH400NT, and the clarity I got from them with the maple top, but I really don't want to route and put actives in either of these two guitars above. I might just keep the stock Liquifire/CrunchLab combo in the JPX, but the stock carvin p'ups have to go! :puke:

I want a really tight low-end with lots of bass (something heavy that has weight to it, but isn't muddy), but I know the alder has a lot of complex low mids, so clarity in the midrange is a must, but I also don't want the highs to be too harsh in the bridge pickup. The neck pickup I want to be smooth and articulate. I play a variety of stuff, but I really like the clarity in open chords (like Misha/Bulb and Mark get in their Periphery / Haunted Shores sound) and the way every note sounds crystal clear and has clarity, even under high gain circumstances. I know it has to do a lot with technique too, but I want each note to be well defined and not muddy. I play a lot of modern metal, death metal, as well as neo-classical stuff in the vein of paul gilbert, joey tafolla, jason becker, vinnie moore, tony macalpine etc., and experiment with some "djent"y stuff occasionally (mainly the thrashier riffing and wide open chords found in Haunted Shores and Extol stuff). Because of the shreddy stuff, something that would allow for smooth sweep and legato runs would be great. On low gain on a clean setting, I also love the chimey clean sound of a fender strat neck pickup. I dabble in a lot of post-rock stuff, so something that will allow some really nice compressed clean notes to chime through is essential as well.

I know there isn't just one be-all-end-all pickup that can accomodate all of that I'm sure, but something that is a good mix or middle of the road for all the styles I like would be fantastic. Oh, and I normally tune C# or Drop B most of the time.

Here's what I'm considering so far:
BKP Cold Sweat (Neck)
BKP VHII (Neck)
BKP Aftermath (Bridge)
BKP Painkiller (Bridge)
Seymour Duncan 59 (Neck)
Seymour Duncan JB (Bridge)
Dimarzio Super Distortion (Bridge)
Dimarzio Tone Zone (Bridge)
Dimarzio Evolution (Bridge)
Dimarzio D-Activator (-X) (Bridge)
Dimarzio D-Activator (Neck)
Dimarzio The Breed (Neck)
Dimarzio PAF Pro (Neck)

Please add to the list, or help me pick ones I already have on the list and include your reason(s) why. Thank you so much, in advance, for any help and guidance! :kickass:

Ever seen a carvin without stock carvin pickups?

If i recall correctly, their pickups aren't normal size, so you'd need to have some routing done to fit other brand pups in there.

Sucks man, i know :/

I'd thought they'd stopped doing that and now route their guitars with "normal" sized pickup cavities.

Ever seen a carvin without stock carvin pickups?

If i recall correctly, their pickups aren't normal size, so you'd need to have some routing done to fit other brand pups in there.

Sucks man, i know :/

I'd thought they'd stopped doing that and now route their guitars with "normal" sized pickup cavities.

You're actually both right. They used to build their pickups smaller, and thus the routes were smaller. My sales rep hooked me up with their head guitar tech because of all of my in-depth build questions, and as of 2006, they stopped doing the smaller routes. He said there shouldn't be any issues with doing a straight swap with a normal sized aftermarket passive pickup like a DiMarzio, BKP, etc. (of course if you choose EMG, you'll need to route.)

More and more people are swapping their pickups in their carvins nowadays.

This guy has a covered set of BKP Alnico Nailbombs in his DC145 and it looks pretty good.

I've been told a BKP Ceramic Nailbomb or Warpig would be good for an Alder body in the bridge position, and a BKP Cold Sweat in the neck, but I'm wondering if there are any other combos or pickups you'd recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow really!? Thats awesome news! I always was like mehhhh about carvin because of that!

Swap away my man!

Haha, yeah I was pretty stoked when the tech told me that!

Now it's just a matter of deciding which p'up would be best suiting to my needs and the woods of the guitar. :Spin: