Carvin Guitars

I own 2 Carvins. Love them and never had any problems. But I keep them in standard tuning and even went with a lighter string gauge on my 7-string. I love the feel and the snarly sound of my 7-string, but I do realise it's not everyones cup of tea. As long as you don't plan on changing anything on it, their great. But when you do want to change pups, bridge or whatever, I'd recommend something else or just buy a Carvin kit and build the entire thing yourself.

I've owned 4 Carvins (DC727, SC90, Holdsworth H2, Cobalt acoustic) and absolutely loved every single one of them. I still own the H2 and Cobalt. I think the Carvin pickups are a bit underrated. I prefer passive pickups, though. I know I changed the bridge p'up on the SC90 and I don't remember having to do any routing on it. I may have modded the pickup tabs to get it to fit, though....been a long time. I had to drill out the string slot on the 727 with a Dremel to accommodate bigger string gauges....was really easy and the tuner still functioned just fine. They're not perfect guitars, but I find it hard to beat the bang for the buck.

Edit: Forgot to mention that all of my Carvin's have had either Tune-o-matic or fixed trems.

I've owned 4 Carvins (DC727, SC90, Holdsworth H2, Cobalt acoustic) and absolutely loved every single one of them. I still own the H2 and Cobalt. I think the Carvin pickups are a bit underrated. I prefer passive pickups, though. I know I changed the bridge p'up on the SC90 and I don't remember having to do any routing on it. I may have modded the pickup tabs to get it to fit, though....been a long time. I had to drill out the string slot on the 727 with a Dremel to accommodate bigger string gauges....was really easy and the tuner still functioned just fine. They're not perfect guitars, but I find it hard to beat the bang for the buck.

Edit: Forgot to mention that all of my Carvin's have had either Tune-o-matic or fixed trems.

What can u tell me about the pup's ?? I'm looking something like the dimarzios crunch lab or blaze.. do u have any clips ?? I've been looking for a while on youtube, some good and some bad so I'm not sure

And what about the trem ?? Is it good ??
After over three and a half years of regular playing I can say I haven't had any problems with it. But I'm not a real heavy trem abuser. Only complaint might be that the finetuners feel a bit cheap compared to an other licensed FR I own.
If you want clips, download the EP of my old band. Left guitar is a Carvin 747. Right is a Bo-El MC7. Leads are all Bo-El though.

If you really want a custom 7-string with active pups and a FR, I hear great things about Mayones as well.

I have a DC127 that I absolutely love. The quality is amazing and better than most other high-end guitars I've played (prs, gibson, fender, prestige ibanez). But I will agree with the others above about the electronics and hardware. The tuners aren't bad, but they aren't great either... kinda "meh". Mine came equipped with a Gotoh Wilkinson tremolo that I actually like, but the pickups stink. Mine I've found have TOO much low-end and and ends up being muddy. I haven't had the courage to route it for larger pickups, but I'll probably be throwing some dimarzio's in eventually. The pickups have a very unique sound, and are great if you want to play like 80's guitar shred stuff... a lot of old Shrapnel Records artists used Carvins and the stock p'ups. But they aren't so great for the high-gain modern metal stuff you probably want.

damn it ! fuck the carvin I'm getting an Ibby :lol: the rg 1527.. and some pup's...

You might want to consider a used (or new depending on your finances) Music Man JP7. I've played a few Petrucci models, and they feel and play awesome! I would have gotten one of those if I hadn't of gotten an amazing deal on my Carvin. I'm saving up for a JP7 right now to replace my RG 7420. Personally, I much prefer an Ebony or Maple fretboard over rosewood any day. So that's my suggestion within the 1527 price range... get a used JP7 w/ ebony board. :headbang: