Ordering a Carvin DC727, so many options...

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
So I have a couple recording gigs lined up, and I was debating what to spend the proceeds on. I have decided (although it is not the most practical decision)
that I am going to bite the bullet and order a custom 7 string from carvin.

So Im sure I want a 2 pickup guitar with a fixed bridge. I have settled on a maple neck with birdseye fret board. I am going to go with the rounded body sides.

the part that is kinda hard for me to decide is which type of wood to use for the body. the reason I am unsure of which wood to use, is because I have little experience with body woods other than mahogany and basswood (the later of which all my guitars are all made of) I`m not sure what tonal characteristics alder, swamp ash or maple, walnut and koa have when used for the body of a solidbody electric.

I like how quilted maple tops look, and I enjoy bright guitar tones, which I think is an attribute of maple tops.

I am not looking to get a whole shitload of extra features. as you can see I prefer a fairly simple guitar.

I also am not sure how the carvin pickups will sound

so basically I am looking for a rundown of what tonal characteristics each body wood has, and possibly a review of carvins workmanship, playability and quality of the pick ups.

thanks in advance!

thanks dude! I will learn to utilize the virtue of patience in the future.

interesting piece. basically just says that heavier woods are less muddy, and more articulated.

im thinking a mahogany body is what I would prefer. with a maple neck and birdseye maple fretboard.

I would love to hear the testimonial of a dc727 owner!

I adore swamp ash! Definately go for that, especially on a 7-string. It's really balanced from lows to highs (that's why it's especially good with extended range IMO) and punchy. It's so light too that it's awesome. I really don't like mahogany in 7-strings, I've had a couple and it's just too bottom heavy IMO.

I adore swamp ash! Definately go for that, especially on a 7-string. It's really balanced from lows to highs (that's why it's especially good with extended range IMO) and punchy. It's so light too that it's awesome. I really don't like mahogany in 7-strings, I've had a couple and it's just too bottom heavy IMO.

+1

I'd get ash body and ebony board, but that's just me... A greenburst satin finish too :D

I am trying to get the highest quality instrument possible on a "just over a grand" budget. It seems carvin is the way to go. my fav guitar that I have played is a peavey wolfgang.

okay, so I`m gonna stay away from mahogany. Swamp ash is a bit more expensive than alder, Is it worth the extra cash to get swamp ash?

and as far as neck wood, Ebony is the stock fretboard. I have always liked the birdseye maple necks on my dads peavey wolfgang guitars, So I thought I would go with that, but I dont think I can recollect consciously playing an ebony fretboard, so I`m not sure if the birds eye upgrade is worthwhile...

thanks for the advice guys!

okay, so I`m gonna stay away from mahogany. Swamp ash is a bit more expensive than alder, Is it worth the extra cash to get swamp ash?

Isn't the difference like $30? If so then absolutely.

and as far as neck wood, Ebony is the stock fretboard. I have always liked the birdseye maple necks on my dads peavey wolfgang guitars, So I thought I would go with that, but I dont think I can recollect consciously playing an ebony fretboard, so I`m not sure if the birds eye upgrade is worthwhile...

A nice birdseye can look awesome and has a nice bright sound. That said, the ebony will wear better (maple has to be sealed and will discolor over time), feels great and is still bright (with a slightly different timbre).

awesome. thanks alot egan and matt.

I found a guy locally selling one with a floyd bridge, maple inner body, mahogany wings, ebony board and a lundgren m7 bridge pickup for a good price... might just go that way. decisions decisions ...

the pickups in the DC727's SUCK. If you want to change them you'll have to do alot of routing but since its a custom i dont think that'll matter itll just mean you have to splash out on more.

I got a new Carvin DC727 this year.

Mahogany Body
Maple Top
Maple Neck

Change the pickups and you'll have an awesome guitar.

an ebony board will give you a bright & snappy attack, good thing to have if you go with a darker wood like mahogany

if you go with something brighter like alder for the body tho, i would probably stick with maple on the fretboard...if you're getting a brighter body wood and a maple top you may wanna consider rosewood to balance it out a bit

don't overlook the fretboard wood when it's an option tho