Help me build a Warmoth Telecaster

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Guys,

I am planning on building a Warmoth Telecaster on the (not so) near future. I love my wife's Ibanez 'lawsuit' Tele (mahogany body + one piece figured maple neck) but I want to got to a different route. For sure, I'll be keeping the maple neck (I am thinking Birdseye maple neck) but how about the body: Ash or Alder? What are the differences? I'll be using some kind of low output humbucker on the bridge (maybe a Frailin Unbucker or a Rio Grande Tallboy) with this guitar, and maybe P92 or something on the neck, so that might be considered (it will be a Deluxe Tele).

Any other tips/considerations for building a Warmoth guitar and a Telecaster?

I plan on doing the same too , I would consider swamp ash for the body and personally I would have all the cut away options , rear electronics . I would
also go for the lightest body poss - tend to sound better . When I get round to
ordering mine I want it to be a 'tele' and sound like one , if money were no object I would love a more 'metal' spec version as well . Some of those maple necks are sweet , would prob go that way myself . There are a lot of other things to consider, who is going to put it all together ?

I had an alder body guitar with emg 81s. It always sounded muddy and hollow. I also had a different guitar with emg 81s and similar specs expect that the body was made out of basswood and it sounded a lot more focused and had more tone information.

I had my eyes on this gorgous looking Tele body from Warmoth, but it was sold out :(

pt2102A.jpg

ahjteam, that body is sexy as fuck, saw it a while ago.

Jeff, what forearm contour? My wife's Ibanez Tele don't have it, and my buddy's Fender Tele Custom reissue don't have it either.

Why more lightweight bodies sound better? For me, at least with Les Pauls, it was the opposite.

Btw, I don't work too well with single coils, so I'll be looking for humbuckers that are built to sound closer to a single coil, like the Frailin Unbucker. I've listened to a few samples with it on a Tele and it leads tone remind me a bit of Jimmy Page's Tele tone, but with a bit more oomph. That works for me. That and a P92 on the neck and I think it'd be a great versatile rock guitar.

As for the finish, I am thinking either that classic yellow + black pickguard or Alpine white + Red pearl pickguard. I was even thinking of an Aluminum paint finish..

Btw, I will ask for a local luthier to assemble it for me.

As far as body weight goes I spoke to a couple of respected Luthiers in the UK
and both seemed to think lighter bodies tend to resonate more and sound a bit brighter (sub 4 pounds). I think this is the current trend for a lot of modern guitars vs more old school ones . There is still no absolute guarantee with any piece of wood so some of the end result is pure luck , this is the downside with custom builds . Ideally you would have many Tele's to play and choose from . You should though , still be able to put together a better guitar for the money than going the Fender route unless you want to spend lot's more . I would also have the neck pocket and arm contours etc cut out too just to make the guitar more comfortable and modern feeling . Also speak to a decent Luthier before you pull the trigger to iron out all the little details . Good luck and keep us posted .

Jeff, what forearm contour? My wife's Ibanez Tele don't have it, and my buddy's Fender Tele Custom reissue don't have it either.

Teles don't traditionally have it, and it's really uncomfortable IMO. I want really really badly to do it on mine, but it would ruin the finish and I'd rather get a new body than refinish it. Unfortunately, Warmoth doesn't do Silverburst... so we'll see.

Anyways, its the contour on Strats where your forearm rests on the gtr.