Fender Telecaster Special Edition FMT

The Fender humbucker "untightness" is something I've fixed countless times simply by changing pots to 500k. For some reason Fender use 250k pots for humbuckers even on their re-issue models although back in the day they had 1000k pots and very different pickups styles. Usually humbuckers are paired with 500k pots if my information is correct. Anyways the pot change will give you a tighters and brighter tone. I did this to my 72 Tele Deluxe 2 years ago and got an extremely tight sound that can be heard f.ex. here:

Holy shit that solo @ 2:00 was hard to nail on that Tele neck. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fender humbucker "untightness" is something I've fixed countless times simply by changing pots to 500k. For some reason Fender use 250k pots for humbuckers even on their re-issue models although back in the day they had 1000k pots and very different pickups styles. Usually humbuckers are paired with 500k pots if my information is correct. Anyways the pot change will give you a tighters and brighter tone. I did this to my 72 Tele Deluxe 2 years ago and got an extremely tight sound that can be heard f.ex. here:

Holy shit that solo @ 2:00 was hard to nail on that Tele neck. :D

Kiitos hyvää Clark ! Didn't even think about the pot thing ! Can't seem to find any info on what was used for my guitar... Gonna read some about the 250k vs 500k thing.

Can you tell it's a 250k pot for sure on my guitar or is it just a safe guess ?

If anybody knows for sure, please tell.

EDIT : on this page some reviewer says it's a 500k pot but i don't know where he got that info (couldn't find anything precise wih Google) :

"comes stock with a graphite nut so you stay in tune, one tone which is a coil splitting 500k push/pull and one volume with a treble bleed mod (which were amazing stock but I went up to a 1Meg volume with 930 microfarad treble bleed mod for searing high leads) Seymour Duncan Pickups (59RP in the neck and Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge)"

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/fender/custom_telecaster_fmt_hh/index.html

Gonna check out your clip later at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikäpä tässä, Ritari Ässä!

I could be wrong. I'm not that familiar with that specific model. Could also be that Fender go for a very dark vintage clarity on humbuckers.. you could try 1Meg pots to make it brighter since it's a super affordable fix and doesn't change the guitar too much. Then there's the option of changing the pickups but I generally try to avoid that.

Mikäpä tässä, Ritari Ässä!

I could be wrong. I'm not that familiar with that specific model. Could also be that Fender go for a very dark vintage clarity on humbuckers.. you could try 1Meg pots to make it brighter since it's a super affordable fix and doesn't change the guitar too much. Then there's the option of changing the pickups but I generally try to avoid that.

Already did the pup change and i think it's bright/tight enough now, but thanks for the insight !

Checked out the sample, sounds nice !