Metal with a tele?

DigiV

Jun 8, 2009
Recently i've been on the guitar hunt and god damn it's been hard. The other day I was at sam ash and I picked up a Charvel San Dimas style 2 just for shits and giggles and goddamn what a neck. http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/charvel-san-dimas-style-2-2h-gold-w-gb-new/1-1,3-163,i-74194/ They are going for under 700 now at sam ash.

However, I don't know if this thing will do metal very well. It might be too bright for my taste being an alder body+maple neck and all.

The JB/59 set up it comes with is also of concern. Maybe if i flop that out for a set of active blackouts or emgs?

Anyone have experience with an alder body+maple neck guitar for metal, or even a tele in general?

well.. i play mostly crushing metal with a touch of Toolish type of prog metal.

I love this neck too death, greatest neck in the world but i'm worried, and the pickups are going to have to go. I'm just worried this guitar wont be dark enough for me, i'm not a big fan of bright. i love mahogany bodies, its' the only thing bothering me right now.

that does look nice. how comparable is the neck?

Part of the reason i'm thinking of this Charvel is because of the price. They are going for 699, that's a great deal.

The necks aren't too different. Actually, they're quite similar. Both feature a compound radius modern C-shape.

Tough decision, both are awesome guitars, just quite a bit different sounding.

However, I don't know if this thing will do metal very well. It might be too bright for my taste being an alder body+maple neck and all.

do we live in a world where it is not possible to to ANY
sound adjustments or what!? :lol:

cheers
S.

While the title suggests that the OP is inquiring as to the viability of using a Tele for metal, it's not really a point with the Charvel shown as it's really just like any other dual humbucker solidbody guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge and locking tuners. It should be just fine for metal.

If you were asking about something that was more similar to what most would consider traditional Tele design with two single coil AlNiCo pickups, vintage style string-thru-body Tele bridge with three brass barrel saddles, and vintage style split tuners - well then you might have to worry a bit about it's capabilities as a modern metal guitar.

There is a whole world of difference between these to guitars even though their shapes are similar.

Classic Vibe Tele:

CVtele1.jpg

Charvel San Dimas 2-2H:

282510138200X.jpg

My other guitar player in my metal band has been playing a Tele tuned down a step and a half through an AC30 and I like the way that it sounds, especially blended with my more traditional-sounding metal tone. His tone actually comes out a little darker than I would like because of the stupid braided cables that he uses :loco:

I picked up the tele, just like the one posted above-the San Dimas but in purple. :Smokedev:

I'm going to have to switch out the pickups though. The JB's are just too flubby for me. But my god is this neck the greatest neck i've ever touched? Yes, yes it is. And my new 6505+1x12 has arrived as well. Much review gonna go down soon.

EMGs or Blackouts for the tele though?

EMG 18volt. :heh:

Couldn't agree more! :D HOWEVER, Jeff(TD) has recently turned me on to the idea of the 89 in the bridge, saying that despite the fact that it's "similar" to the 85 in design, it's not as muddy and a bit clearer, while still being a bit less harsh than the 81 - in other words, the perfect balance! (I've really tried to like the 85 in the bridge on multiple occasions, but the 81 always won in my shootouts, namely this) DI's and clips here, I really wanna grab one to compare against the 81 @ 18v