Metal with a tele?

FWIW, that Wintersun song that was posted was recorded with a Jackson w/81/85 set, aside from the melody lines.

The songs in E on that album were the Jackson w/EMGs, everything in D/Drop C was with a stock Tokai Tele.

But yeah the 89 is totally tits. I'm gonna put EMG's back in my ESP when I get a chance to grab my Schecter from home, and I think it'll be with the 81 in the bridge. That guitar's a bit thicker sounding in the low mids than the Stinnett, so it should work out.

The only thing about this San Dimas is the brightness, honestly. Even when EQuing it with the 6505+ it's still significantly brighter than my Schecter.

As cheap as the Schecter is it's definitely one of the best metal sounding guitars i've ever played... now only if it had the Charvel neck. :Smug:

I am honestly considering shaving down the Schecter neck to Charvel specs.

Could it work?

HOWEVER, Jeff(TD) has recently turned me on to the idea of the 89 in the bridge, saying that despite the fact that it's "similar" to the 85 in design, it's not as muddy and a bit clearer, while still being a bit less harsh than the 81 - in other words, the perfect balance! (I've really tried to like the 85 in the bridge on multiple occasions, but the 81 always won in my shootouts, namely this)
Yeah dude, I've been interested in trying out the 89 as well.

I like the 85, but sometimes I wished it had a tiny tiny bit more bite and a tad tighter bottom end without going to such extremes as the 81. I really wished they just made a ceramic 85, lol.