Quick Shootout - Mahogany vs Ash

Mahogany vs Ash

• Ash/Mahogany

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mahogany/Ash

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
Maybe the second part had more depth? But seriously there's no real difference here.. might be all psychological and the same clip over and over. High gain is where the wood of the guitar doesn't make any difference IMO.. even in clean the difference is very small.

I can't hear a difference on some Equator D5s... but I've always been a proponent of "electronics are more important than wood".

There is definitely a difference. The first one is beefier. But I cannot say which is which. EMG81 and EMG 707 (85). Hence the 85 is beefier than the 81 im going to say the first one is the 85(707) and the 2nd is the 81.

But just because its beefier, it also doesn't mean anything. I can make a tone sound beefier by the way I rest my palm and release it on the bridge. But nonetheless they are very identical.

Less low end on the second one, clearing up a bit for the rest, I guess. Very slight difference, though.

Depending on the difference between the strings wouldn't that have the potential to influence the sound more than the wood itself?

To an extent but the differences still mirror the general perceptions people have about the woods of both guitars. The Loomis is more open, bright and airy and the Eclipse is darker and thicker.

Well, I gotta Loomis OFR and a BRJ mahogany w/ 81-7.
Im never any good at picking these bloody wav files, so I'm just going to go off what I hear when I record with both.
The Loomis (707) always has this flatter, not as beefy tone than the 81/7, but comes across more saturated, if that makes sense. Now I am only listening through my macbook pro speakers, but even I can here a difference in both halves. My BRJ is always a little bit tighter and has a pronounced bottom end than my Loomis. So I say the 81-7 is 1st and the 707 is 2nd. This is the way I hear it when I record both guitars with exactly the same strings at exactly the same pitch. So Mahogany/ash. God I better be right. Although, I don't really give a fuck, because both are great and could be used in different scenarios. :loco: