Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Clip C

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
I liked A > C > B
I think A sounded a bit clearer, but C sounded bigger than A, so my choice would depend on what I was going for. I didn't like B so much, since it didn't have the clarity of A, nor the size of C IMO.

Thanks for the opinions so far. Lets get some more votes before I tell what they are.

It may be my ears but I couldnt tell them apart ,all three sounded fantastic but seriously if theres any difference going on here its wasted on me .

Thanks everybody for the thoughts and opinions. Overdrive A is a Maxon OD820, overdrive B is a Maxon OD808, and overdrive C is a custom build I am working on. I agree it might need some additional work on the high end, thanks again everyone.

Damn, gonna have to finally break down and get an OD820! Is that unit supposed to sound more like a TS9 or 808 or something different entirely?

edit: Nevermind, found Maxon's FAQ page

Curious as to the signal chain.

I found much more favourable results using the 808 in front of my Megalith Beta than I did with the 820, seemed to respond better to my setup.

Damn, gonna have to finally break down and get an OD820! Is that unit supposed to sound more like a TS9 or 808 or something different entirely?

edit: Nevermind, found Maxon's FAQ page

Yeah it's 808-based, but loosely. It's got less gain (which is a good thing for boosting) and something fantastic about it is that at low gain levels the output signal is very close to your natural unclipped tone. From a design standpoint, the only thing happening to your tone with the pedal on and the gain knob all the way down, is a high rolloff above 2k and a resonant peak at 3k3 controllable via the tone knob on the pedal. The higher on the gain knob you go, the more "808" it starts to sound.

Curious as to the signal chain.

I found much more favourable results using the 808 in front of my Megalith Beta than I did with the 820, seemed to respond better to my setup.

Ahh sorry, I forgot to list the chain. The chain is very basic, no tricks.

Radial ProRMP with the internal pad removed > noted OD pedal > Peavey 5150 > Recto cab > V30's > SM57.