Extol - death or thrash?

Which of these is a more accurate description of Extol?

• Thrash Metal

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Death Metal

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
If you had to lump Extol into either the genre of thrash metal or death metal, which would it be?

I am a bit confused, because I thought of them as sort of technical/prog death, but I read a review calling them prog thrash.

Please give reasons, so I can establish the difference between death and thrash. Usually it would seem pretty obvious to me, if what I'm going on is correct:

Death - lower riffs, emphasis on rythm, harsh vocals
Thrash - sometimes faster than death, less brutal vocals

They're very hazy/shitty definitions I know, and illustrate the cofusion I have between styles. Obviously I could hear a difference between Slayer and Morbid Angel, but with Extol it seems I was wrong.

Can you please help me out with the differences between genres, and also clear up the Extol thing.

Thanks a lot. :D

I only have Synergy and Undeceived. Both don't really have death vocals, and some clean vocals. There are also almost no blast beats, and the riffing is not really death metal. So they aren't death metal, so I would have to categorize them as thrash.

death metal. the band themselves have described themselves as progressive death metal. progressive because of their use of BM style melody and odd harmonies. they do use some blast beats (ex: inferno off undecieved), however when it comes to drums they like to use fast double bass with a slow snare and cymbal thing. the perfect example of that is the song undecieved of the album undecieved.

riff wise id say they have quite a few DM stylw riffs. they also have some other style riffs as well. like i said before, melodic BM style riffs. some riffs also stem from a romantic era to russian era classical. eerie and powerfull. they also use some odd time signatures which is also used frequently in DM.

vocally, i think their growly scream is close enough for DM. bands are mixing high and low vocals in DM alot nowadays.

as for the latest album, synergy, i get a really big metalcore vibe from it. not really thrash. this is actually the first time ive heard the term thrash used with extol. it is however more melodic with less screaming and such. they do however keep with the odd times and dissonant harmonies.

just my 2 cents. i love extol hahah
~gR~

extol has progressivly gotten more melodic.

I agree with GR that Synergy has a metalcorish sound to it. There is a lot of metalcore influence in many of the riffs, and the vocals also sound metalcorish at times. It think it is a good CD, eventhough I am not too big on metalcore.