Difference between thrash and death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitarfreak5253

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2009
So a friend of mine that I work with asked me the difference between thrash metal and death metal. I played him some Slayer for the thrash part and some Carcass for death. Then I started thinking, well Carcass has a lot of aspects of thrash in their music, so what would be a good pure death metal choice.

Thrash is mainly focused on interplay of riffs, death is mainly focused on interplay of rhythms. Obviously, there's a lot of crossover; early death metal was mainly thrash-like, but had an obvious focus on aspects of technicality and was usually a little heavier than most thrash.

Suffocation is a good band to illustrate the difference with because they play with both kinds of structures in their music a lot of the time, blending in grind influence to form the general aesthetic of what would become "brutal death metal."

At first I thought this thread was going to be called "difference between thrash and speed," which is something I'm still curious about. I don't know much about these subgenres, because I don't typically enjoy them; but I've always understood that thrash came first, and then death and speed were spawned from it. I also thought that speed metal is usually considered to have preceded power metal.

Is this correct, or am I mistaken on some points?

Isn't speed more technical than thrash?

It's more technical, and typically a little 'happier'...less angry or 'evil' sounding. Kind of like the difference between typical second wave black metal and symphonic black metal. Symphonic has more shit going on, but loses that barbaric, evil touch.

I've always considered speed to have more ties with traditional metal, and not as aggressive as thrash.

generally in death metal, the guitar tone is lower and the vocals are deeper. also, the atmosphere of the riffs is quite different. thrash is more "woohoo yeah kickass!" and death is more "grrr i kill kittens".

Relevant to topic:

Symbolic: Death metal or progressive thrash album, go go go

I've been arguing with a bud of mine who doesn't believe me when I say it's prog thrash... I dunno, the album's pretty riff-based for me

Difference between thrash and death metal would be one is called Thrash Metal and the other Death Metal.

I've always considered speed to have more ties with traditional metal, and not as aggressive as thrash.

Yep, I don't see it having anything to do with technicality. It's more or less just traditional metal played fast. Judas Priest is speed metal. Accept is speed metal. Metallica is not.

generally in death metal, the guitar tone is lower and the vocals are deeper. also, the atmosphere of the riffs is quite different. thrash is more "woohoo yeah kickass!" and death is more "grrr i kill kittens".

This made me laugh :D I guess this is a more controversial topic than I had originally thought. I think the riffs/rhythms theory is fairly accurate as well, which leads to the drums having more of an active part in the sound of modern death metal. I have the suffocation discography, but it's so hard to listen to. Are some albums easier to listen to than others or is it all equally brutal?

So as far as band recommendations so far we have:
Deicide
Death
Suffocation

I will look into them. Any others?

Judas Priest is speed metal.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any Judas Priest songs that are particularly fast pre-Painkiller. Now I'll be the first to admit that I don't know shit about Priest, so maybe someone could point them out to me.

I do notice, though, that a lot of the stuff that's described as speed metal isn't all that fast...I mean, not everything has to be The Berzerker, but when it's obviously mid-tempo the majority of the time it's sorta hard to call it speed metal...

Status
Not open for further replies.