What is the difference between Death and Doom Metal?

In my mind, Death is the frantic, grunty, extreme style, whereas Doom tends to be basically gloomy :) I consider early Sabbath to be Doom, as well as stuff like Anathema.

But that's just my opinion - I try to ignore genres, cos I've missed some great music in the past:)

It seems that nowadays ppl have forgotten all about real doom metal. what is there in common dude? how can you compare lets say Morbid Angel with Solitude Aeturnus. I understand that the term Death-doom metal is oftenly used, but i guess it all is about the vocals and the history of the band.
My dying bride for instance started as a death metal act but has ended up to what we call doom death. where is the death elements of MDB's last lps though? if there are any they are minimal.

Doom the way i have learned it throughout time consists of bands like Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Sorcerer (though a bit more epic), Solstice, Last Chapter etc.

Death can be defined by acts like DEATH (the optimum definition), Morbid Angel, Carcass, Bolt Thrower etc.

The combination of the death growls and in some parts (few) the riffs with the heavy, pessimistic atmosphere, slow riffing could be the definition of what ppl call doom-death metal.

i dunno.:confused: that is what my thoughts are for now...

I find doom is really really slow And as mentioned above gloomy! That pretty much sums it up for me - there are a few other subtler differences tho

hmm.,.,.would that make Six Feet Unders new cd some gloom.,.,.like the song "Sick and Twisted".,.,its pretty slow.,.i guess its doesnt have to be slow.,.,.i guess it just has to have that element of despair and hopelessness to be doom.,.,.where in death metal, you will usually have someone dry humping some one's skull socket.,.,.lol.,.,ew:s

I think most of the people here have it right. There is a wide variety of music that falls under the "Doom" banner nowdays, but what it all shares in common is a slow pace, and a feeling of gloom. Death metal OTOH, is generally faster and more violent both musically and lyrically.

So, you think, guys, that in general if I like slow - kilometers long riffs and solos - I should listen to doom and if I like something hot fast and 1000tones heavy I should take Death, yup?

So, you think, guys, that in general if I like slow - kilometers long riffs and solos - I should listen to doom and if I like something hot fast and 1000tones heavy I should take Death, yup?

That's one indication, yes. There are also other differences between the two such as typical lyrical content, instruments, and vocal styles as well.

Well I think the Death metal is far more brutal than Doom , also Death Metal is more speedy than Doom and Doom is more open to 'evolution' than Death Metal that is more a close-minded style (which i like it does) cause you cannot do Death metal if it's Not brutal, and you can do Doom Metal with a very atmosferic and soft music and also with a Brutal growning? vocals.
If you understand what I say, it's hard to express what I think in English sorry