Goth, Death, Black Metal

well can't say about goth metal cause I have no f***ing clue what it is to me it don't exist just more nu metal but black and death metal can can answer.

Death Metal - the guitar playing is usualy fast very heavy can be slower though vocals are normaly done in a deeper growel style that bands like Cannibal Corpse made famous drumming usualy pretty fast most bands use a lot of blast beats.

Black Metal - usualy a higher screamy style of vocals like that used by bands like Setherial very atmosphereic usualy pretty slow and not so brutal although bands like Goatwhore introduced brutalness to their music most black metal bands use keyboards to.

thats a basic sum up of the two don't really wanna go into detail or I'll be here all day explaining everything I just wrote.

The best way to get an idea is listen to some of each... they are pretty wide ranging genres now with some vaiety, so it isn't possible to give a straight answer. Listening lets you sort it out in your own mind and you can decide what death, goth and BM are :)

Thats how I did it anyway ;)

Originally posted by Terminal Spirit Disease
well can't say about goth metal cause I have no f***ing clue what it is to me it don't exist just more nu metal

Am I the only one who can't make sense of the last part of the above sentence? What has gothic metal to do with nu metal? Anyway, gothic metal is supposed to be a style where the bands try to mix elements from gothic rock (sometimes successfully, most often not) with melodic atmospheric metal. Their music is mostly slow, often with a lot of keyboard use and many times with instruments like violin, strings, flutes etc. Their main goal is the creation of an melancholic atmosphere, though, unfortunately most of the bands today fail miserably. Bands like Type O Negative, Theatre Of Tragedy are representative of the style.

As for the others two genres I completely agree with the definition Terminal gave for death metal but I disagree a bit with the one he did for black metal. The music of the bands isn't mostly slow, since most of the bands play very fast. What he describes is more or less the second or third generation of black metal bands.

Your right there that is true and as for goth metal most goths now days all listen to nu metal and seem to call it goth metal I mean thats goths now days but ya know I've had people try and claim COF is goth metal which is just lame sorry that was a bit of a sterotype I take back what I said.

You used to be able to pick up a CD and tell instantly what genre it would fit into. With the "progression" the scene has taken over the last few years though, most bands could be a mixture of both. There are still a lot of obvious ones out there though. Both styles use harsh vocals, blast beats, move slow as well as fast, melody (or just plain brutality)... Listen to some of the extremes from either direction, and pretty much follow the "atmosphere".

Death- Severe Torture, Krisiun, Divine Empire, Mortician. . . . .
Black- Abigor, Immortal, Dark Funeral, Limbonic Art. . . . .

I'd go with "Death metal has deep vocals" and "black metal has higher vocals", but even that doesen't really separate most death/black metal anymore these days...